So I tested positive for covid on Symphony

3 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

That's going to work wonders [NOT!] for US pax traveling internationally who need to be tested 24 hrs. prior to boarding a return flight to the States.  I am cautiously optimistic they will figure out this is not a prudent move, however I cannot believe how ill thought out this decision is.  Thanks for the update!

Actually most countries have easier access to test for travelers than the US does.  In most cases pretty easy to get tests at international airports.  One just has to allow additional time at the airports for the tests.  Well that and the costs. 

15 minutes ago, seapad said:

Just wondering, and I'm not sure if you're allowed to say what quarantine hotel that might ne? Would like to know just in case.....and we would know where to call/book. 

I think I can say. I have a post on it and the current process of quarantining.

It would be the 3* San Juan Airport Hotel. It’s comfortable, compact, clean and has good wifi. Room service is ok if a little repetitive in range of options.

I would say it’s probably close to the most expensive room I have spent in any hotel anywhere - $285 a night according to their website. Which Royal is covering. Equally I would say it’s probably in the bottom 10 in terms of hotels I have stayed at - but it’s still comfortable, compact, clean and has good wifi - which is all I need right now. San Juan hotels are completely different to anywhere else and that is also a caveat of those statements so I’m pleasantly happy to be somewhere solid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bfsroyal said:

I think I can say. I have a post on it and the current process of quarantining.

It would be the 3* San Juan Airport Hotel. It’s comfortable, compact, clean and has good wifi. Room service is ok if a little repetitive in range of options.

I would say it’s probably close to the most expensive room I have spent in any hotel anywhere - $285 a night according to their website. Which Royal is covering. Equally I would say it’s probably in the bottom 10 in terms of hotels I have stayed at - but it’s still comfortable, compact, clean and has good wifi - which is all I need right now. San Juan hotels are completely different to anywhere else and that is also a caveat of those statements so I’m pleasantly happy to be somewhere solid.

I would expect the rate that Royal is paying is considerably less than the hotels advertised rate.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, Jimbo said:

On 12/24/2021 at 1:10 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

This conversation is for another thread but If I fly to another country on vacation I am responsible for finding and paying for my own covid test.     Why should royal be responsible for testing anyone that needs a test to fly home?

If you go on a vacation, it is your choice.

Not arguing, but when international travellers booked their cruises, they did so knowing what RCCL's written policy was as promised up until the end of March.  People are upset that the terms are changing, even though they booked with understanding of the promise of the free test until the end of March.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I am fully aware of this as I am the person that started the Re-entry thread. 

we live in a world with constant change.    We have all had contracts broken and disappointment.    Bring a travel test with you they cost $20 to $35 USD 

It is not $20.  The company RCCL has set up is charging $210 US for a PCR test at the pier per person.  This means a cost of over $1000 Canadian for a family of four.  Rapid tests as you mention cannot be used to reenter Canada.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:15 PM, cruisebot21 said:

After a short refuelling stop and break, we arrived home and were met at the plane by CBSA officers and given 2 home test kits for each of us.  Street side, RCCL even had a pair of minivans waiting to drive us home from the airport

I’m now safely at home with the family and living like a bachelor in the basement while wifey hold down the fort with the kids upstairs.

Glad you are home safe and sound.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:32 PM, Dr. Pam said:

I am sorry.....?  So why are you still choosing to cruise, knowing that you may have to take additional time off?

The same thing happens if you go to the grocery store and catch Covid, you still need to take time off to isolate.  Whether you caught it on a cruise, flight, vacation, hockey arena, grocery store, etc, is irrelevant.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:55 AM, Bfsroyal said:

I tested positive on Saturday on the Explorer of the Seas after doing a self test. We have been bringing them with us to test since cruising resumed usually every 2-3 days on cruise.

On the whole it was very well managed on board by RCCL staff were clearly organised at dealing with the issue. It was clear some staff were understandably petrified having to collect documents / deliver items from / to our room.

Hello from a fellow London, Ontario resident.  Thanks for letting us know about your personal experience and how it is being handled.  Many of us are wondering, so your comments are appreciated.  Numbers back here are insanely high as well and people are having to wait a week or 2 to book Covid tests at the assessment centre if they have symptoms.  At least you are somewhere warm, even if confined to your hotel.  I wish you and your family safe travels home when it occurs.

25 minutes ago, nocl said:

Actually most countries have easier access to test for travelers than the US does.  In most cases pretty easy to get tests at international airports.  One just has to allow additional time at the airports for the tests.  Well that and the costs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

The same thing happens if you go to the grocery store and catch Covid, you still need to take time off to isolate.  Whether you caught it on a cruise, flight, vacation, hockey arena, grocery store, etc, is irrelevant.

Yah NO!  We canNOT  fly on Canadian airline carriers unless we have a clear ARRIVE CAN app with a negative Molecular covid test (not the rapid antigen) .  Sooooo yes, it is not the same thing for Canadians flying back to Canada.  It is very relevant.  Happy and safe travels.

Pam

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

Edited by Dr. Pam

6 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

It is not $20.  The company RCCL has set up is charging $210 US for a PCR test at the pier per person.  This means a cost of over $1000 Canadian for a family of four.  Rapid tests as you mention cannot be used to reenter Canada

Switch Health has RT-LAMP test kits you can purchase that will be less than what Royal charges. They've partnered with Air Canada so these test kits should be accepted to fly back to Canada. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Switch Health has RT-LAMP test kits you can purchase that will be less than what Royal charges. They've partnered with Air Canada so these test kits should be accepted to fly back to Canada. 

Thanks for sharing that info.  I know that Air Canada will sell them for $200 Canadian, which is better than $210 US, and you can get them for $149 Canadian if you have an Aeroplan number.  Still a LOT more than $20-$40 per test, but still a good savings.

Just to provide a bit of closure - after hanging out at home since the 23rd, I’m now symptom free and tested negative with a rapid test yesterday.  

Still some lingering effects - mostly a bit of fatigue and some minor sinus congestion

Stay safe out there! 

Edited by cruisebot21
Seriously bad spelling
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cruisebot21 said:

Just to provide a bit of closure - after hanging out at home since the 23rd, I’m now symptom free and tested negative with a rapid test yesterday.  

Still some lingering effects - mostly a bit of fatigue and some minor sinus congestion

Stay safe out there! 

Thank you for all the information. Stay safe, and hope you are back to yourself.

44 minutes ago, cruisebot21 said:

Stay safe out there! 

that is not exactly symptom free but glad you are better. 

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, orville99 said:

Our son and his family were on Mariner that was scheduled to dock at Coco Cay on the same day and they were unable to dock because of the high winds. It had nothing to do with what happened to the OP.

But a good conspiracy theory is a lot more fun here😉

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 1:43 PM, Jimbo said:

Well it sure wouldn't have looked good if the one ship said it couldn't dock and then an hour later the other ship docked would it? Mariner took one for the team. 🙂

I admire your tenacity🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1