Encore question

ally&tommysmom

16 minutes ago, ally&tommysmom said:

We are in Miami, about to cruise on the encore tomorrow! ... Is there a shop that sells phones on the ship? 

Short answer, NCL does not sell nor activate mobile devices onboard their ships.  If it is important that they must have a smartphone onboard - you will have to find other options.

Tomorrow, being on a Sunday - retail stores & kiosks in malls that typically do these aren't likely to open until 11 am or 12 noon. Your best bet is to find a 24 hour locations near your hotel ?? with overnight hours, i.e. Walgreen, CVS, Walmart, etc. - call ahead & confirm, maybe the hotel front desk might know or be familiar with what's nearby.  I am assuming that you can get an unlocked smartphone and/or prepaid one for that matter to use immediately upon activation, restoring the basic accounts data, etc. - This is much easier if their carrier support/use the eSim option, which is much easier as they can switch to it (might be free or a small charge).  

It's more complicated/time-consuming if there are other info/data and/or passes, account info stored on their forgotten devices to fully restore & get going ...  Can your device be used to access and/or store those vital information, perhaps for check-up purposes or to display passes, test results, etc. ?? 

Good luck & do have a safe, happy & healthy cruise tomorrow ... bon voyage and a wonderful holiday season.  

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How in the heck do not one but two people "forget their phones" when traveling?  This smells fishy....

Quite easily. Both put their phones in the same bag which then gets left at home is an obvious possibility.

If my wife and I ever forget something then there is a good chance that we would both not have that specific thing. For us it wouldn't be phones as we tend to carry them in our pockets, but not everyone does.

Let's hope for the best, nothing fishy about OP's situation (on CC since 2008, seldom post to this board, however) ... lately, DW has left her Samsung Galaxy S21 at home a few times when we've gone out for errands, not as "essential" since early retirement.  I nearly always have mine but I also carry a secondary for backup, all part of EDC from work days as part of continuous readiness. 

Activating a new/replacement device and restoring apps & contents - while traveling & being on the road - these days can be time-consuming, thanks to stricter carrier security measures & 2FA, access to a verified email or another registered device.  Hopefully, they can manage to cruise without "needing" their phones (i.e. digital passes and/or testing results) or got it replaced, able to use a workaround, etc. - and perhaps, we will read about it later ... at the moment, they should be busy at the pier for pre-boarding, testing & going thru screening, etc. etc.