Alaska shore excursion advice

3 hours ago, sushitex said:

I don't know what to do for a tour in Vancouver. When we stopped there before, there was a bus near the pier that we paid maybe $8 a person, and it took us to the downtown area to walk around in for a couple of hours.   This time, we are sailing with Royal Caribbean, and I'm leaning towards a 2.5 hour-long city "historical sights" walking tour. I have read that Buchart Gardens is too big to explore during an abbreviated evening tour, so that's out. Any suggestions?

Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, not in Vancouver.  Pre-covid you could walk up to the parliament building and get a tour for free.  Lots of folks take orca watch tours here, although we weren't tempted by the full water survival suits they were wearing in the zodiacs.

Do a search for "victoria tourist" to see local things to do.  

Edited by LeeW
more

On 12/26/2021 at 8:29 PM, bmblob said:

Got the shuttle at the port vendors - was expecting it to be about $25-30 roundtrip each but it was $45 plus local tax each.  All vendors about the same pricing.  One could try to book in advance online but weather in September made it iffy, so we just did it in port.

A few years back the bus ride was $8.  Then the park service made them charge park admission for anyone dropped off near the glacier visitor center.  So they all raised their prices (at the time to $30).  City bus drops off about 1/4 mile downhill outside the park but doesn't run as often.

3 hours ago, LeeW said:

Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, not in Vancouver.  Pre-covid you could walk up to the parliament building and get a tour for free.  Lots of folks take orca watch tours here, although we weren't tempted by the full water survival suits they were wearing in the zodiacs.

Do a search for "victoria tourist" to see local things to do.  

Oops, my bad. Guess I didn't have enough caffeine this morning! Thanks for the advice!