Positive COVID test within 14 days before negative

karen11g

Omicron has been exploding and our exposure over the last few days is pretty likely. We’re triple vaxxed, only spending time with triple vaxxed, but a couple of people we were with have tested positive.

Evidence is omicron spreads easily and has shorter incubation period. Evidence also suggests triple vaxxed people don’t get very sick and get rid of it more quickly if infected.

We have a pretty good chance of a mild infection that comes and goes within 14 days of our cruise. In that case, our answer to questions both for Hurtigruten and our country of departure, Chile, about whether we had a positive test within 14 days will be “yes.”

If we have a negative test within 72 hours of entry into Chile, as required, and a negative test for Hurtigruten before boarding, as required, does anyone know if our “yes” answer on the form could jeopardize our trip?

Oh no.  I think you are on our cruise originating in Santiago on January 11.

Do you have an at-home test?  We know several people who tested positive with their at-home test and then got a test with results back in 24-48 hours which was negative.

Unless you are sick, there is no reason to test.  (Unless you plan to be with at-risk people for New Year's, or for other reasons.)

We are trying to self-isolate for the next few weeks.  (Had to go purchase a larger suitcase today.)

4 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Oh no.  I think you are on our cruise originating in Santiago on January 11.

Do you have an at-home test?  We know several people who tested positive with their at-home test and then got a test with results back in 24-48 hours which was negative.

Unless you are sick, there is no reason to test.  (Unless you plan to be with at-risk people for New Year's, or for other reasons.)

We are trying to self-isolate for the next few weeks.  (Had to go purchase a larger suitcase today.)

Yes we are, and thanks.

We’d test if we developed symptoms, but we haven’t yet. We’re seven days away from second-degree exposure (someone we were with had, the day before, been with someone who tested positive), so feeling less worried. We’ve been isolating since then.

All triple vaxed. This variant ... things changed so quickly. Hope you’re staying safe!

This is only a guess...

Considering how picky Chile has been with the forms, any yes answer to anything relating to Covid definitely endangers your entry into the country.  Do everything in your power to make sure you stay healthy and are not exposed. (almost impossible with this new variant, I know)

13 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

This is only a guess...

Considering how picky Chile has been with the forms, any yes answer to anything relating to Covid definitely endangers your entry into the country.  Do everything in your power to make sure you stay healthy and are not exposed. (almost impossible with this new variant, I know)

We’ve been isolating since we came back early from Xmas, no symptoms more than a week later. We’re passing thru Chile on the way to an Antarctic cruise. Just need to pass the Chile gauntlet. By the time we get on the ship, everyone will be vaccinated and have had at least 3 negative PCR tests in the days prior to boarding. I’m glad they’re all being strict, though - it will make everyone safer. We can all do everything we can, but with omicron sounds like it will be what it will be.

Also found a couple of other threads that clarified the answer to my original question: As I understand it, if you test positive within 14 days of arrival, but test negative within 72 hours, if you can upload a positive test from between 14 days and one month before arrival, they’ll assume it’s a resolved infection that PCR is still picking up. Otherwise, no entry. 

• Like 1