Star Princess - Western Caribbean

redrobin

After being inspired by sfoyager's threads about taking his mother on a cruise, have decided to treat my mom to an impromptu 'spring break' cruise and am considering the 7-night Star Princess Western Caribbean itinerary. Although I'm fighting with the CC search feature, will continue to gather information from old threads from here and the ports of call boards. However, I have a few initial questions that I was hoping could be answered. (Also, links to any particularly helpful threads would be appreciated.)

Have only been on the Sapphire. It looks quite comparable to the Star. What are the noticeable differences?

It looks like Princess Cays has been moved to the end of the trip, and Ochos Rios has been changed to Montego Bay. Is that correct? What are the lingering effects from recent hurricanes to the ports of call which also include Grand Cayman and Cozumel?

Any excursions to recommend that a 70-something mom might enjoy?

Finally, without breaking any board guidelines, booking spur of the moment, any tips on getting the best fares online or with a TA? Any suggestions on finding those last minute deals or flash specials?

Thanks!

The last-minute deals are usually comparable between internet and TA's, I recommend going with a TA if you like to have someone to talk to and answer questions regarding your booking.

I just got off of the Star last week, you are correct it is stopping in Montego Bay instead of Ocho Rios. The Star docked along with a Holland America ship last week so you won't have to tender in that port. The captain said it was the first time they docked there (we docked where the cargo ships normally dock and were transported by bus to the main terminal).

Cozumel suffered a great deal of damage, you are now required to tender in as the piers are gone. They are working hard to rebuild, all of the stores downtown are open and there are many tours you can do.

In Grand Cayman I did the "See and Sea" tour, (number C1 I believe). We first went on a semi-sub and did a tour afterwards, on the semi-sub there were many tropical fish to see, coral reefs and a ship-wreck as well. The land tour was interesting, you see quite a bit of the island that way. It stops at the turtle farm (didn't think that would interest me, but it is a new facility and was worth it), it also stops at "Hell" the city has interesting rock formations and is how the city got its name.

In Montego Bay we went to Margaritaville and did some shopping in the area then walked up the street a little ways to Cool Runnings and had a Red Stripe. Our bus stopped and dropped people off in "city center" to do some shopping, it looked crowded to me, a few people on board the ship said it wasn't worth their time.

Princess Cays is at the end of the week, it made for a relaxing day on the beach at the end of the cruise, I liked it that way. The BBQ lunch makes for a change of pace after a week of Horizon Court lunches, I wasn't too impressed with the buffet on Princess on this cruise, it's never been anything spectacular but I think they have cut back a little. On the other hand they now serve ice cream in the late afternoon and that is very good.

Overall the Star was in very good shape however the mattress in my room was in poor condition, I woke up with a back-ache after the first night, you can request a foam mattress topper from the room steward, I would suggest doing this when you board, at least for your mother. I never have in the past and I'm glad they are available. I wrote in my comment card at the end of the cruise.

For the entertainment I recommend seeing Live Wire if they are still onboard. They also had a new production show "Destination Anywhere" that just debuted on the previous cruise, that was a pretty good show.

We're on the 3/19 sailing of the Star. According to my documents, Mo Bay is a tender port for us. They have docked there prior according to other members here who have cruised do I know they can do it, they're just not for us evidently.

I know for our particular cruise it looks like there are outside cabins and inside left, no balconies or suites. The price for an oceanview is unbelievable and you can get two people in that for about $1200. I use an on line agency however I can't mention it on here I guess. I've been thrilled with the fellow that we're using and so have our friends.

I was on the same cruise as 14A04 and wow do I agree with her comments about the beds! They really need improving.

Don't let this stop you from going. Overall I thought the ship was in good shape. I agree with her comments about Live Wire, good show.

I really hated all of the tendering required but I understand there is not much you can do about the weather. If I was going with my 70 year old mother I would skip getting off the ship, especially in Jamaica, and just have her stay on board for all ports except Princess Cays. However, if you can find an excursion you like at any port that would be fine.

Overall she will not be alone at that age group. On our trip there was a 94 year old man on my tender back from Grand Cayman!

Go and have a good time.

Thanks for the replies and information! My mom is in good health. I know she wouldn't want to do anything too strenuous, but may like one of the more 'sightseeing' excursions like the turtle farm or "see and sea". We'll do what we can at the ports, but my main reason for taking her is just to relax and enjoy trying something new. She's always wanted to take a cruise. My dad died recently, and I'm hoping the trip will help take her mind off of that for just a bit.

We did this itinerary in January with my 78 year old parents. Mom is in pretty good health but dad has trouble walking and has glaucoma, so he also has trouble seeing. The tendering at Cozumel and Grand Caymen was a little difficult for him and in hindsight would not book another cruise where there was so much tendering.

We did dock at MoBay and did a tour to the Bellefield estate that included the rum plantation, tour of the great house and a lunch that was quite enjoyable.

ENjoy your cruise with your mom.

Judy

coz we booked the sub had quite a few elderly with us and they seemed to enjoy the view. not to over whelming.

gran cayman.. we did the snorkle wtih the sting rays.. was ok but hard to snorkle with water up to your knees

montego bay best.. countryside tour.. alot of elderly and from what i heard they loved it.. raft down the river a look at the banana platation and a wonderful lunch..

even had time to shop..

Thanks again for the ideas! Hearing them just makes you more excited to be going on a cruise. I do have another question. Found out my mom does not have a passport. She does have a birth certificate. Looks like that should be fine for the Caribbean. Any possible problems she might encounter because of that?

Thanks again for the ideas! Hearing them just makes you more excited to be going on a cruise. I do have another question. Found out my mom does not have a passport. She does have a birth certificate. Looks like that should be fine for the Caribbean. Any possible problems she might encounter because of that?

I used my birth certificate last week and there was not a problem. Just make sure hers has the raised seal, not a copy of an original.

And I wanted to recommend the countryside tour in Montego Bay, forgot about that earlier. I didn't go on it however my mother and brother did and they enjoyed it.

Thought of a few more questions:

Looks like they'll be a lot of tendering. My itinerary does not show tendering in Cozumel, but from reading the boards, docking doesn't sound possible there because of the hurricane damage. In general, how does the tendering process work (getting tickets, boarding...), and how specifically does it work if you have a Princess excursion booked?

Also, is US cash accepted at all ports or would using a credit card be better? Not planning any major purchases.

As for food safety, am assuming everything offered on the excursions is fine to eat. Obviously would avoid raw foods and drinking tap water. Never traveled anywhere in the Caribbean and am guessing it varies from place to place. Any tips on what to be careful of to minimize picking something up from the food or water while in port?

Thanks. :)

Cozumel requires tendering now (it's amazing to look at how much damage was done to the pier) as does Grand Cayman and Princess Cays (always have).

If you book an excursion that is your tender ticket, they will have you meet in the Princess Theater (deck 7) and then take you when they are ready. If you are just going ashore you go to the Explorers Lounge and get a tender ticket. After most people are ashore they will announce a ticket is no longer required and you can just walk down to the tender.

Cash is accepted, and I personally prefer using it over credit cards, just a personal thing.

Food on tours should be safe. I avoid tap water in unfamiliar areas and just use common sense when it comes to the food and where you eat.

I am a single who went on a Star Princess sailing in Jan. with my 75 yr old mother, who is in very good health. I enjoyed the cruise but she wasn't particularly impressed with the itinerary. As a matter of fact, she didn't even get off the ship in Cozumel and I don't blame her - just seeing the devastation from hurricane was thoroughly depressing. I went, however, b/c I had never been - and now that I have, I have no reason to return there.

We planned to marathon shop on Grand Cayman but it was so crowded (there were 8 ships in the port at the same time) that it was hard to walk without bumping into someone in front of you, behind you or beside you. We had to cut the day short b/c Mom became claustrophic and had to get out of "there". The tenders were so rough that day that they were slamming violently into the side of the ship. That was a bit scarey for Mom....and many of the other older pax.

Mo' Bay was the best port for both of us -- we took a private tour of the area for $10 pp and got some great deals on our liquor purchases at the store in the port terminal. In all, however, we spent maybe two hours on-shore and the rest of the day on the ship.

Unfortunately, we hit bad weather on the day we were scheduled to go to Princess Cays so that was canceled. That was disappointing as we were looking forward to the BBQ.

The ship itself is lovely - we had great service in the dining room and from our cabin steward. I'd say that our best days on board were the days at sea. I had a far better time than she did b/c I rarely get a chance to relax but, unfortunately, this cruise was a bit more of a challenge than a treat for her.

coz we booked the sub had quite a few elderly with us and they seemed to enjoy the view. not to over whelming.

gran cayman.. we did the snorkle wtih the sting rays.. was ok but hard to snorkle with water up to your knees

montego bay best.. countryside tour.. alot of elderly and from what i heard they loved it.. raft down the river a look at the banana platation and a wonderful lunch..

even had time to shop..

Can you fill us in on the sub excursion that you took in Cozumel. We're trying to decide if we want to do it Coz or GC. With the hurricane hitting them so badly last year I was concerned that this wouldn't be a good tour???

Can someone tell me a little about embarkation at FLL? Don't want my mom to have to carry her luggage a long distance. Can you drop off people and luggage right at the check in area?

Considering the Countryside tour or Bellefield Estate tours in Montego Bay. I think my mom would enjoy both. On the Countryside tour, how much time is spent on the river vs. touring the banana plantation and having lunch? What all do you get to see/do at the plantation? The Bellefield Estate tour starts with shopping. The tour is 4 1/2 hours long and I was wondering how much time was spent shopping vs. touring the estate and having lunch.

At Princess Cays, what time is the BBQ? Want to rent a float, and was wondering how long they serve the lunch. Is there a charge for it? I did read that you can't use your soda card at Princess Cays. Also, was considering renting a cabana for some shade, but have read that there is shade elsewhere. Is there any problem finding a shady spot if you want to get out of the sun for awhile?

Thanks!

Redrobin,

When you pull up to the embarkation area, porters are available to take your luggage right away.

We did the Bellefield Estate tour with my parents and the bus takes you to the shopping area and waits while you shop. YOu are there for about 45 minutes. Then when you get to the Bellefield Estate, you tour the Great House first and then the old mill and rum area. They then have an open air gazebo where they serve a buffet lunch with jerk chicken, pork and fish. You may have coffee or rum punch as well. My parents enjoyed this tour.

Hope this helps

Judy

Hugger....When you dock at port in Mo'Bay, there's a shuttle service waiting for you outside of the terminal entrance to bring you into "town". The fee to take the shuttle is $3 pp, which is collected as you exit the bus.

Just as an FYI, there are only a handful of shops in town. Our intent was to visit the stores, but when we saw how few there were, we took advantage of our driver's suggestion to take a private tour of the island. When we first boarded the bus, he announced that we all had three different options - get dropped off for $3 in town for shopping, stay on the bus and do the tour for $10 pp, or stay on the bus and get dropped off at one of the private beaches/Margaritaville (can't recall the price). The money we spent was well worth the tour that we received in return. Our driver was great and provided us with good commentary. And, he also stopped in several locations at our request to take photos.

My suggestion is that you ask one of the shuttle drivers if they would be willing to give you a tour - my guess is that they'll be more than happy to accommodate you. Hope this helps. Kim

Hi,

As for the questions about tendering:

We just returned from the Star Feb. 19-26, and tendering in Cozumel was rough. However, I went with the mindset of "be the sheep," i.e. stand in lines and go where you're told and don't let it bother you. We really had a wonderful day overall, and I'd do it again.

In our case, we had booked the Tulum excursion through Princess. The ships anchors near Cozumel, which is an island. I heard the wait to get on the tender for Cozumel itself was about 1/2 hour during mid-day. To go to the mainland (where Tulum is), you must be taken to Playa Del Carmen, which is much father from where the ship anchors.

Princess rented large local tenders that could accomodate 500 people apiece. We had to meet at 7:15 AM in the theater with the other 500 people who had booked princess excursions on the mainland. It took 1 hour to load us onto the tender. It took 1/2 hour on the tender to get to Playa Del Carmen. We were able to leave on a tour bus around 9am, but only because we had booked a Princess excursion.

If I had just wanted to go to a beach, I would not have gone through this, and would definitely just have waited until a bit later and gone to Cozumel on my own. If you are thinking of taking your mother, don't look at excursions on the mainland, just on Cozumel itself.

Also, the return was more line-waiting. Here's a tip: sit near the back of the tender on the bottom floor (Cozumel-rented tenders only) to be among the first to get off. It took quite a while for everyone to offload, and someone got seasick while we were waiting.

Cash question:

You can pay with US Dollars, but they will give you change in local currency, so bring lots of small bills. We din't purchase anything major, so we used about $100 in ones, fives and tens over the course of the trip.

Princess Cays question:

We rented 2 cabanas for our family of 4, and got there early enough so we could pick out ones right next to the beach. This worked well, as you can create a little area for yourself between the cabana(s) and lounge chairs. There were also some shadier areas available, which had lounge chairs next to a sort of thatched-roof stand with a table in the middle. These were available even later in the day, but they were not close to the water. You just have to decide what you'd rather have.

No, soda cards do not work on Princess Cays. You must buy them by the can. Virgin Pina Coladas for my daughter were only around $2.25. Lunch is free and is served in two different areas, from about 11:30 to 1:30 or 2. they have hamburgers and hot dogs, with fruit and salad and cookies. Water and iced tea is free.

We also used the kids club on Princess Cays, if anyone has any questions about that.

As Bob Loblaw mentioned, we found the wait for the Cozumel tenders to be brutal, it was an hour and a half wait going both ways and though we too tried to maintain Bob's "be the sheep" mantra we and everyone around us felt like 3 hours in the prime of the day waiting was a waste of precious vacation time.

Appreciate all the information from everyone!

In our case, we had booked the Tulum excursion through Princess. The ships anchors near Cozumel, which is an island. I heard the wait to get on the tender for Cozumel itself was about 1/2 hour during mid-day. To go to the mainland (where Tulum is), you must be taken to Playa Del Carmen, which is much father from where the ship anchors.

Just want to clarify, for the Tulum excursion, did you return from Playa Del Carmen directly to the ship, or does the excursion drop you off in Cozumel and you have to take an additional tender back to the ship?

Also, did you dock in Montego Bay? My itinerary says its a tender port, but others have said they docked there. (Although my itinerary may be wrong, it says we dock in Cozumel which I know isn't the case.) Does it depend on who else is in port that day?

The tender for Playa Del Carmen goes directly to and from the ship. The ship anchors between Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen, but much closer to Cozumel. From the ship you can see the Cozumel dock that was damaged during the hurricaine. The Cozumel dock is in one direction, and the trip to Playa Del Carmen takes you in the other direction. When you are on the dock at Playa Del Carmen, you can't even see the ship anymore.

Also, my daughter reminded me that we found it funny that the tender was so big that there was a gift shop on board!

We were one of the few recent itineraries that didn't get changed to Montego Bay. We docked in Ocho Rios. We were there with only one other ship. Sorry, I can't answer your question about MB.

Bob Loblaw,

A few more questions. Was actually considering the Tulum tour with my mom because she was more interested in seeing the ruins than going on a beach or shopping. You suggested not taking an excursion to the mainland with her, why? Was it more the waiting for the tenders, the actually ride (which I've read can be rough), or a combination of both? What did you think of the actual excursion? How was the ride to Tulum? I've read the location is scenic, and the tour also involves some walking. Thanks!

I would love info on this as well. We are booked for the other mayan ruin on our star cruise. Don't mind the tender ride, but am wondering why the long lines coming back. Is it that all the tours return about the same time? Do you remember if there was a bar or restaurant near the tenderport if you want to wait until the line eases up somewhat. (That worked great for us in Maui)

Archived