Suddenly waitlisted cruise

Gray Eagle02

We are scheduled for a Rivera Miami-Miami cruise on 28Jan. I have checked my booking every day and until this morning the was availability it all room categories except the top suites and the two lowest categories. This AM all categories or waitlisted. If my memory serves me correctly, this is what happened during the height of the Covid epidemic right before they cancelled a cruise. Can anyone shed light on this topic I have already emailed my TA.
This is our first Oceania cruise and we booked a Vista suite. We generally sail Regent and RSSC has cancelled Jan 22 cruises on the Navigator, allegedly because of low bookings. We were initially excited about this cruise because of the Vista suite, however, we have lost enthusiasm given the current problems with Covid.

• Thanks 1

I've posted elsewhere that the ship has just this morning updated required documentation, asking all guests to be pre-registered with their testing partner.

It is pretty clear - with so many ships being CDC inspected - that the situation is quite fluid and O is doing what they can to adjust. 

Wouldn't surprise me to get to the dock only to find we are all being sent home, regardless of testing outcome. Thankfully we have family in SoFL and can crash there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, espmass said:

I noticed the same thing this morning for my 2/7 Riviera cruise.  I wondered if perhaps O is trying to keep a limited number of passengers so blocking any new bookings?   

Maybe, but I doubt it given on the 28Jan cruise there was availability across all categories except the top three suites and the two bottom categories. I’ve watched closely as I wondered if they would sail with all those vacant cabins. Additionally, if you check the CDC site virtually all the ships are now yellow. I suspect, given what is posted here and elsewhere, most of those affected are crew members. Just hope, if the cruise is cancelled, I get my money back. 

3 hours ago, sitraveler said:

My February Regatta cruise is also suddenly all waitlisted

I just looked and all of Regatta's Feb sailings from Papeete, are showing "Wait Listed" only; however, Regatta's March sailings out of Papeete are showing availability.  FWIW, ATN has updated their website to define "fully vaccinated" as including Booster.  May also want to sign up for Tahiti Tourism's update news letter which will update FP entry requirements.  A new letter came out last night.

Greg

Here is a note I just got from Bob Binder Oceania CEO about the waitlists…

All Oceania sailing through the end of February are waitlist only so we can manage the flow of bookings, maintain a safe occupancy and efficiently handle the health and safety protocols as we prepare the final manifests.  This is similar to Royal Caribbean.

Please also keep in mind that changes are possible as the local ports review their requirements.

Take care

Bob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

All Oceania sailing through the end of February are waitlist only so we can manage the flow of bookings, maintain a safe occupancy and efficiently handle the health and safety protocols as we prepare the final manifests.  This is similar to Royal Caribbean.

Please also keep in mind that changes are possible as the local ports review their requirements.

Take care

Bob

Thanks, That is good news for those of us still wanting to sail.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

Take care

Bob

I have a question.  What if the occupancy of some of these cruises is a greater % than they want to sail with?  Will they arbitrarily cancel some bookings or ask some people if they will cancel? 

Something like this happened in Britain around September.  With increase in cases the cruise had to cancel some bookings to meet the occupancy level that was mandated.

7 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

I have a question.  What if the occupancy of some of these cruises is a greater % than they want to sail with?  Will they arbitrarily cancel some bookings or ask some people if they will cancel? 

Something like this happened in Britain around September.  With increase in cases the cruise had to cancel some bookings to meet the occupancy level that was mandated.

May I assume they would cancel their lower revenue cabins first, for might they ask for volunteers?  

10 minutes ago, marieps said:

May I assume they would cancel their lower revenue cabins first, for might they ask for volunteers?  

No idea but our Dec 3rd cruise had 1100 on board so that is almost 90% capacity.  It felt like a full ship.

If any of these Jan/ Feb cruises have that many booked, I would think that they would have to consider trying to reduce that number.

18 minutes ago, davencl said:

There is currently no mandate to reduce capacity in the US.  Cruise lines may do so on their own however.

I think that's what the email from Mr. Binder implies.  There's also no mask mandate, but O has implemented one.