Credit on account

Reenie75

I was given a credit on my account for our sail date. The credit is from paying the originally balance and the very next day the price dropped $375. They just advised me today it's not considered OBC. I'm confused.

I can use it on prepaid packages & activities. Kicker is today when I looked to do phony booking wifi, drinks and OBC included for same date, ship and balcony. The price is $50 less for what I originally paid. I asked can you take my credit and give me the easy package. They said no but I could purchase the drink package $900 use my credit and pay the difference. That makes total sense. It's very limited what to purchase. It's controversial if we be able to get off the ship and by the sounds if it this credit has a limit what you can use it on. Has anyone had a credit like this what did you use it for. 

Edited by Reenie75

I had that credit (price drop after final payment made) twice in the past few months.  Both times although it was listed as On Board Credit I was unable to use it while cruising - I had to wait and get it refunded to my credit card once the cruise was over (I'm waiting on the second one actually).  I did call MSC to see if I could use any of my OBC towards excursions or anything else before the cruise - and they told me no - I had to wait till I was on board.

So it sounds like perhaps their policy has changed re using OBC before you sail, and thats good.

What you might want to do is see if you can make a change - maybe upgrade your cabin or your "experience".  That would result in a cancel/rebook and then you'd be able to get the new price.  (Like if you were Bella - upgrade to Fantastica).  

7 minutes ago, morrieb1 said:

I had that credit (price drop after final payment made) twice in the past few months.  Both times although it was listed as On Board Credit I was unable to use it while cruising - I had to wait and get it refunded to my credit card once the cruise was over (I'm waiting on the second one actually).  I did call MSC to see if I could use any of my OBC towards excursions or anything else before the cruise - and they told me no - I had to wait till I was on board.

So it sounds like perhaps their policy has changed re using OBC before you sail, and thats good.

What you might want to do is see if you can make a change - maybe upgrade your cabin or your "experience".  That would result in a cancel/rebook and then you'd be able to get the new price.  (Like if you were Bella - upgrade to Fantastica).  

Interesting use of the word "policy!"  To my mind, a policy is defined as a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by an organization (MSC, in this case).  It implies that it has some structure or rigidity that can be uniformly enforced.  It suggests things like methodology, procedures, principles and practices, and may (dare I say it on an MSC board?), imply the use of "common sense."

To the end, there is no such thing as a "policy" at MSC.  The have ethereal, or fleeting moments of insanity, inconsistency, and chaos.  The indescreet behavior used to limited to Customer Service, but is now creeping onto the ship.  You can ask a butler, and concierge, a manager, and a server about whether or not something is allowed, and you will get three or four different answers.  Many of us have adapted to the situation by simply waiting for the right person to give us the answer we want, and then we run with it.

• Like 1

I actually had the same thing happen and the customer service rep I had turned most of my credits into OBC...she said the balance will be refunded to the payment method after the cruise. 

I have NO idea what to expect!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JAGR said:

To the end, there is no such thing as a "policy" at MSC.  The have ethereal, or fleeting moments of insanity, inconsistency, and chaos.  The indescreet behavior used to limited to Customer Service, but is now creeping onto the ship.  You can ask a butler, and concierge, a manager, and a server about whether or not something is allowed, and you will get three or four different answers.  Many of us have adapted to the situation by simply waiting for the right person to give us the answer we want, and then we run with it.

This .... 🙂

• Like 1

So we paid cruise in full and it was just before final payment date. While waiting for our status match. The status match came through after and we got it as shipboard or OBC. 
so will we get credited for a cruise with the total amount paid. We also received $50 OBC PP and WIFI And easy plus drink pkg. Are we going to lose all of that when we move the cruise..

Need a concrete answer if someone knows.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:37 AM, FrostyJoe said:

You can call MSC and buy OBC with the negative balance. That’s what I did…along with pre paying service charges with the negative balance

MSC Phone call agent said I could use credit to pay for wifi or anything offered through her.  She said she has no idea what the website offers.

7 minutes ago, mmt44 said:

MSC Phone call agent said I could use credit to pay for wifi or anything offered through her.  She said she has no idea what the website offers.

Try a different agent. That first agent probably didn’t know how to do it. You definitely can purchase OBC with your negative balance. 

• Like 1