Proof of positive molecular test taken 10-180 days before travel as of Jan 15/22

doberwoman

According to travel.gc.ca proof of a positive PCR test taken 10-180 before travel can be used to enter Canada. We are scheduled to leave Jan 22 for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and my concern is that I’m currently recovering from Covid despite being fully vaccinated including a booster. I will be well past the isolation period by then but I’m worried about still testing positive on the required PCR test to return to Canada. I’ve read that because of its sensitivity, some people continue to test positive weeks or even months after they’ve recovered and are no longer able to transmit the virus. Has anyone used the proof of a previous positive PCR test to enter Canada? Can it also be used instead of the negative antigen test to enter the US? I’m confident the antigen test would be negative but wondering if I can use the proof of a previous positive PCR for both. Here’s to a better 2022 for everyone!

I have concerns as Ontario has changed guidelines for who is eligible for PCR tests. If you test positive on an antigen test you isolate for 5 days and don’t require PCR test. People previously that recovered from covid had proof they tested. What happens now? 

• Like 2

I think anyone planning on travelling needs to be pro-active. If you test positive on an at home rapid antigen test, take a picture of the test using your phone. But I think you also will have to find somewhere to get a pcr test.  

4 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I think anyone planning on travelling needs to be pro-active. If you test positive on an at home rapid antigen test, take a picture of the test using your phone. But I think you also will have to find somewhere to get a pcr test.  

Yes, I realize I need a validated PCR test to use as proof. A pic of an antigen is meaningless for any travel requirement as it proves nothing. I also recognize that I need to pay for the PCR test now as I don’t meet the new requirements for a government sponsored test. My question really was if anyone had encountered any issues in using the previously positive PCR test for entry into Canada.

My interpretation of this as below is that you don’t need a test before entering Canada if you have your existing positive test result. The US requires documentation from a healthcare professional that you have recovered in the last 90 days. Sounds like you’d be fine using it for both.

for Canada:

Who needs a pre-entry test

• All travellers 5 years of age or older
  • You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago).

If you’ve already had COVID-19 and recovered

If you are now symptom-free, you can provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test when crossing the border, instead of a negative one.

• The test must have been taken at least 14 and no more than 180 days before (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days):
    • the initial scheduled departure time of your aircraft
    • your scheduled entry into Canada by water or land
  • The proof of the positive result must be from an accepted type of molecular test
  • If your positive proof is accepted you won’t have to take arrival or Day-8 tests
  •  
Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, Princess Fi said:

I have concerns as Ontario has changed guidelines for who is eligible for PCR tests. If you test positive on an antigen test you isolate for 5 days and don’t require PCR test. People previously that recovered from covid had proof they tested. What happens now? 

I was wondering the same thing.  If the majority of people no longer have access to receiving a documented PCR test through their province (like Ontario) due to the government changing protocols on who is eligible for a test, clarification will be needed to determine what acceptable proof is regarding an individual testing positive for Covid.  Our family doctor did a webinar a couple of days ago and asked that any patient who tested positive for Covid using a rapid test at home, contact the doctor's office to have that positive test noted on their file.  I wonder if a doctor's not stating an individual tested positive for Covid would suffice?  I have no idea how long someone could possibly test positive for Covid after an infection (medical experts disagree on this as well).  It would be horrible for someone to who was unable to obtain proof of a positive test due to the government's decision to change who is eligible for a test to be cruising and then test positive for their return to Canada based on previously had Covid in the past.

• Like 5

CC won't let me post or quote so I'll give it one more try before I give up.

You can get a Covid 19 antibody (serology) blood test from LifeLabs ($75) which can be used for flight clearance.   This blood test detects prior infection, even if you never experienced symptoms.  I believe you still need your healthcare provider to sign the requisition to get the test.  Here's the details:

https://www.lifelabs.com/test/covid19-antibody/#:~:text=Overview-,Overview,with SARS-CoV-2.

Edited by hancogran
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, hancogran said:

CC won't let me post or quote so I'll give it one more try before I give up.

You can get a Covid 19 antibody (serology) blood test from LifeLabs ($75) which can be used for flight clearance.   This blood test detects prior infection, even if you never experienced symptoms.  I believe you still need your healthcare provider to sign the requisition to get the test.  Here's the details:

https://www.lifelabs.com/test/covid19-antibody/#:~:text=Overview-,Overview,with SARS-CoV-2.

Unfortunately the antibody test is not an accepted test for re entry to Canada.

Also, you need to wait a minimum of 3 weeks post infection to test.

• Thanks 2

I have this same concern, it was suggested on another board that if you test positive on a rapid test to order one of the Air Canada tests online, either the Lamp or the PCR so that you will have an official positive test result for travel.  There are places that you can pay to have a PCR but in doing some research they want you to be asymptomatic.  Also, not sure if you contact your doctor and explain the need for the positive test if they couldn't arrange for you to have a PCR?  

• Like 1

Some doctors will provide a letter stating that you are past your quarantine period.

The travel clinic in Ottawa has this service. Sadly, they are closed til Jan 31st, but google in your area to see what you can find.

DOCUMENTATION/CERTIFICATE OF RECOVERY

Medical assessment and letter where required to travel with a still-positive COVID test post-quarantine
Documentation of recovery: $150 + HST - not available until January 31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son had Covid mid December and had a positive PCR test on December 18.  He has a screen shot of the positive result from the government website.  Is this screenshot proof acceptable and how does he present this - Arrive Can app or just at Customs?   Also what does he need to fly out of Canada to US or Mexico?  Does he still need to have a negative Rapid antigen test 24 hours before departure or use this screenshot proof of positive result?   I knew exactly what to do when none of us had Covid but now this positive result has me a bit confused! Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skatie said:

My son had Covid mid December and had a positive PCR test on December 18.  He has a screen shot of the positive result from the government website.  Is this screenshot proof acceptable and how does he present this - Arrive Can app or just at Customs?   Also what does he need to fly out of Canada to US or Mexico?  Does he still need to have a negative Rapid antigen test 24 hours before departure or use this screenshot proof of positive result?   I knew exactly what to do when none of us had Covid but now this positive result has me a bit confused! Thanks!

I would start by going to the government website and reading all the information listed there.

There is even a section to put in options (canadian citizen/non canadian, vaccinate/unvaccinated etc.)

That has the most up to date information and is where we are all getting our information that we are sharing in here.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, skatie said:

The ArriveCAN app has a spot for the +ve test.  Can you download the results as a PDF?  You might need to show it at the border (like the negative PCR test, it doesn't get uploaded).

To fly to the US, he will still need the -ve antigen test 24 hours before OR a medical note (see sun's post) for a +ve test within 90 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1