Rapid antigen test vs. rapid PCR test

49 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Took one Wednesday at noon got results Friday at 5pm… won’t likely work for a  cruise.  PCR is a better test.  It is not required do the antigen rapid test.

Unless you can find a rapid PCR or a place with a guaranteed turnaround time on regular PCR tests (some labs will swab on-site so you don't have to wait for transit time for your sample to get to the lab), anyone expecting to get PCR results in time to board is taking a huge chance given the current wave of the omicron variant and the resulting increase testing volume.

While an antigen test or rapid NAAT (like ID Now at Walgreens) might not be as accurate as a PCR, I'd do that as a sure thing rather than waiting for PCR results that very well might not come in time to board.  For my Explorer cruise this month that's the only reasonable option if I want to use the same test to enter Puerto Rico and board the ship... rapid test on Friday, fly to San Juan on Saturday, and board Explorer on Sunday.

My husband and I had a PCR test at 9:30 AM at local CVS in Durham before our cruise in November.  Results were expected 1-2 days but we were also told that it could be as long as 3 days.  We had to fly out the day after our test and I was so worried that the tests would be late or positive and we would already be in Florida.  My husband's results came back before we flew out (around 28 hr after the test).  My results came in at a nail biting 8 PM the night before we boarded.  Too stressful and too close for comfort in my opinion, and that was before this variant.  We did not know at the time that there was an acceptable option for a rapid antigen test that would allow us on board.  For our cruise in 3 wks, we have ordered the at home tests via RCL with proctor involvement.  With the 2 day window and having to arrive near the port the day before embarkation, it's not worth the stress to us this time to be at the labs mercy. 

of note, in November, the PCR test at CVS was free.  We are paying out of pocket for the at home proctored tests (3 for $99).  

After more research -- and thanks for everyone's replies! -- I'm going to schedule our tests at Walgreen's and do the ID Now rapid antigen test.  I don't want to sweat out the wait for PCR test results. I imagine after the Christmas/New Year's holidays, the PCR turnaround times will get better.

I think it was @Ashlandwho mentioned checking for future dates for tests, our Walgreens in the area only go out about a week as far as making appointments, so I have a note for this Friday (Jan. 7) to get our appointments for Jan. 14. 

5 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

After more research -- and thanks for everyone's replies! -- I'm going to schedule our tests at Walgreen's and do the ID Now rapid antigen test.  I don't want to sweat out the wait for PCR test results. I imagine after the Christmas/New Year's holidays, the PCR turnaround times will get better.

I think it was @Ashlandwho mentioned checking for future dates for tests, our Walgreens in the area only go out about a week as far as making appointments, so I have a note for this Friday (Jan. 7) to get our appointments for Jan. 14. 

ID Now is an NAAT.  It is not an antigen test; it tests for the nucleic acids.

Some Walgreens offer a rapid antigen test. That is a different, less sensitive test.

Either one is approved for boarding purposes.

• Like 1