Jeans on the Serenade at dinner?

I am sure I will be flamed, but we have worn jeans in the dining room on several Royal Caribbean ships, not on formal night , but on casual night and western night, wear what makes you comfortable, We did find the Alasaka cruise a little more casual.

Wow, the two Alaskan cruises we've been on have been just the opposite. They've been more formal if anything.

But, to answer your question, jeans are allowed in the dining room as far as RCI is concerned.

I agree that my Alaska cruises on RCI were more formal in the evenings than those in the Caribbean.

An e-mail from RCI...

From a Customer Service Rep and we all know how knowledgible and up-to-date those people stay.

For instance, he states on an 11 night cruise, there are three Smart Casual nights. I just came off the 11 night Empress and there was only one, as there has been for several months. Not very up-to-date on that. Wonder what else he is not up-to-date on.

I also saw jeans in the dining room on casual nights, although I would not wear them. When I asked the head waiter about it, he said it was allowed.

Trust who you want. I just know that CSR's get a lot wrong and people on the ships straighten out what the CSR's get wrong.

I wear sundresses or "light" cocktail dresses on for "smart casual night". I feel like a freak! That will not stop me but honestly, I think anyone who claims there "smart casual" really exists anymore but in the minds of the RCI reps is probably fooling themselves, much to my dismay.

From a Customer Service Rep and we all know how knowledgible and up-to-date those people stay.

For instance, he states on an 11 night cruise, there are three Smart Casual nights. I just came off the 11 night Empress and there was only one, as there has been for several months. Not very up-to-date on that. Wonder what else he is not up-to-date on.

I also saw jeans in the dining room on casual nights, although I would not wear them. When I asked the head waiter about it, he said it was allowed.

Trust who you want. I just know that CSR's get a lot wrong and people on the ships straighten out what the CSR's get wrong.

Exactly, like the one PAGA received in this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289033

FWIW: I received the exact same response as PAGA from the exact same customer service rep.

Well then click on this RCI web link....then answer the question....On Alaska & New England cruises you will find the following link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/home.do;jsessionid=0000hXbkOhlEZDn10GTtTTtOH8B:10ktmf05t?portCode=PSO

Notice RCI differentiates between Jeans and Slacks.

Jeans are recommended for Days, but are not on the list for Evening

Very obvious that they do not want Jeans in the Dining Room.

If you do not want to go to the RCI site, I'll post it for you.....

What to Pack Days onboard are casual. To be most comfortable, we recommend:

Jeans or slacks

Several sweaters, a jacket, a windbreaker and a raincoat

Warm socks

Low-heeled shoes for deck activities

Don't forget your swimsuit, camera and a pair of binoculars (towels are provided)

For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire:

Casual: Dresses or slacks and blouses for women, sport shirts and trousers for men

Smart Casual: Dresses or pantsuits for women, jackets for men

Formal: Cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties or tuxedos for men (you can arrange to rent a tuxedo onboard)

For those that want to wear jeans, baseball caps, andwifebeater shirts in the dining room, why not? But for those that complain about the food quality and service declining, consider that if you dress for McDonalds, you may get the same service and food that you do at McDonalds! Enough said; flame away!

Well then click on this RCI web link....then answer the question....On Alaska & New England cruises you will find the following link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/home.do;jsessionid=0000hXbkOhlEZDn10GTtTTtOH8B:10ktmf05t?portCode=PSO

Jeans or slacks

Warm socks

Don't forget your swimsuit, camera and a pair of binoculars (towels are provided)

Casual: Dresses or slacks and blouses for women, sport shirts and trousers for men

Formal: Cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties or tuxedos for men (you can arrange to rent a tuxedo onboard)

Again, information from customer service that may or may not be up-to-date. And since they are consistantly wrong so many times, I don't even worry about what they say. I have CC members coming off ships as well as my own observations on ships to let me know the lastest info.

I don't wear jeans. If I dig far enough, I may be able to find a pair of jeans, but they would be so old, they probably wouldn't fit. But, if they are letting people in the dining room in jeans, it won't bother me. I try to look at what's inside of people, rather than what's outside.

I was taught this saying almost 50 years ago. "Before finding fault in the other person, stop and count ten, ten of your own." I'm not perfect so sometimes I fail, but I try to live by that saying. When I'm perfect, I'll start worrying about what others do. Until then, I'll worry about what I do.

Again, information from customer service that may or may not be up-to-date. And since they are consistantly wrong so many times, I don't even worry about what they say. I have CC members coming off ships as well as my own observations on ships to let me know the lastest info.

I don't wear jeans. If I dig far enough, I may be able to find a pair of jeans, but they would be so old, they probably wouldn't fit. But, if they are letting people in the dining room in jeans, it won't bother me. I try to look at what's inside of people, rather than what's outside.

I was taught this saying almost 50 years ago. "Before finding fault in the other person, stop and count ten, ten of your own." I'm not perfect so sometimes I fail, but I try to live by that saying. When I'm perfect, I'll start worrying about what others do. Until then, I'll worry about what I do.

Obviously you forgot to count to ten. Since you are the one finding a fault here.

Ohunion,

It has been very well established that the "official" RCI printed version and what real are two very different things. Unless you're either blind or don't really go on RCI cruises, I don't understand why you can't acknowledge that what you keep repeating is so very wrong that the rest of us are tired of it.

Perhaps you're asking RCI the wrong question. Perhaps you should start asking them if there is any variablity in those suggestions or if they are written in stone and everyone MUST follow them. If you ask your question to RCI in that manner, you'll find them back tracking like there is no tomorrow on the "dress code."

Jeans or slacks

Warm socks

Interesting link regarding the definition of "trousers":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trousers

Take note of the picture halfway down the page.

In the end, RCCL's guidelines can be interpreted in different ways by different people, much the same as our Constitution.

My post was a reaction to the very premise and title of this thread, NOT to your post, dear, dear, dear RNE. :D :D :D ;) :p

AAHHH, Shucks.

At least maybe that will give you hope as you look out at all those blank faces that maybe something will stick. Almost 50 years ain't bad.

Especially now that I'm at the age where:

I've seen it all

Done it all

Just wish I could remember it.

Archived