Discovery stuck in Barbados

We joined the Discovery on Boxing Day and thoroughly enjoyed the first week of our two week cruise. Unfortunately the wheels came off when we returned to Barbados on Sunday, the changeover day between the two weekly itineraries. Just before sailaway the Captain announced that “a handful” of passengers had tested positive during the weekly covid test that took place on Friday morning. Marella had been unable to negotiate permission to offload these passengers and continue the cruise, so we would remain in Barbados for a further full day. Just before the delayed sailaway on Monday Captain Alan made the next announcement that the Barbados authorities would still not allow the positive cases to disembark so the remainder of the cruise itinerary would be cancelled. And so … we remain in Barbados until our return flight on Sunday, and the Discovery becomes our “floating hotel” until then. The good news is that we will receive a pro-rata refund for the lost week of the cruise - and we are allowed off the ship anytime during the day.

Seems a bit crazy allowing people off the ship when presumably, people who arrived Sunday could be the next 'batch' of positives walking around Barbados.

Glad you managed a weeks tour, and now have free board and lodgings for a week. Stay safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devonian said:

We joined the Discovery on Boxing Day and thoroughly enjoyed the first week of our two week cruise. Unfortunately the wheels came off when we returned to Barbados on Sunday, the changeover day between the two weekly itineraries. Just before sailaway the Captain announced that “a handful” of passengers had tested positive during the weekly covid test that took place on Friday morning. Marella had been unable to negotiate permission to offload these passengers and continue the cruise, so we would remain in Barbados for a further full day. Just before the delayed sailaway on Monday Captain Alan made the next announcement that the Barbados authorities would still not allow the positive cases to disembark so the remainder of the cruise itinerary would be cancelled. And so … we remain in Barbados until our return flight on Sunday, and the Discovery becomes our “floating hotel” until then. The good news is that we will receive a pro-rata refund for the lost week of the cruise - and we are allowed off the ship anytime during the day.

Sorry to hear this, but good news that you are allowed off ship and your holiday is not cut short. If you can go off independently, you can walk to the beach (Carlisle is excellent) and walk around Garrison.  I have read the Marella refund terms and they are good. My husband and I thought Marella have been dealt a good hand for all by staying docked.

11 hours ago, Gizmo19 said:

… My husband and I thought Marella have been dealt a good hand for all by staying docked.

This good hand comes to an end tomorrow when we have to vacate our berth until Thursday (we hope!). Nevertheless everyone on board seems to be staying positive and making the best of this cruise to nowhere. TUI has offered early flights home on Wednesday if anyone wants to take them but we will stay until our original booking on Sunday (covid status permitting). Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

… and now … today’s pa from Captain Alan is to announce that the next cruise from Barbados, due to depart on 9th January, will be cancelled. All passengers will now fly home on Sunday (or soon as possible thereafter). 😞

Hi Pensioncruiser

Just tried to print our boarding passes - four of us going - managed to print the other 3 - but couldn't print mine as lead passenger - tried numerous times.

Asked our friend to try and he didn't have a problem.

Have you had problems printing them out?

1 hour ago, Caseygwent said:

Hi Pensioncruiser

Just tried to print our boarding passes - four of us going - managed to print the other 3 - but couldn't print mine as lead passenger - tried numerous times.

Hi I did reply earlier on but my post has gone away 🙄 I have never, fortunately, had any issues but we have not cruised since our cancellation in 2020 so things may have changed. 

Hi Pensioncruiser

In general they are taking decisions on a week by week basis. 

A head start can be gained by refreshing their website and noticing that a cruise has been removed from sale.  Over the past three months this has predated the cancellations by a couple of days

Having said that, i do think 16th will be the last Discovery cancellation due to EX2 arriving to act as a support ship.  Either EX2 will take all of the Covid cases, or EX2 will take over Discovery's itinerary - with the former being most likely as it will cause less upheaval)

I am less certain about EX2 only being required for 2 weeks, thus enabling her to shift to Jamaica for 8th Feb itinerary - so there may be more cancellations there (tbh I think it will depend on which route is the more profitable for Marella as to which one they prioritise)

Edited by ferretktf

• 2 weeks later...

I think many of the cruise lines are having issues in the Caribbean due to Covid passengers and crew numbers, exceeding the CDC thresholds, and  not being able to offload into land based quarantine.

Some are using spare ships as quarantine facilities - see P&O UK thread Victoria alongside Ventura

Edited by howmuch!