Any news on the Meraviglia this week?

Morgsmom

17 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

OK, so is the rapid test suffecient from a CVS or Walgreens?

They currently will accept antigen test which I believe CVS uses for rapid. Walgreen also has NAAT rapid test that I think MSC will accept based on their auto recording when you call, even though NAAT isn’t listed on their website specifically. 

I ordered a Monitored version of Binnanow antigen at home testing (they will not accept the non monitored version) from optum .com which we plan to use, along with Walgreens NAAT testing for redundancy. 

12 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Thanks. May I ask where this info can be found?  I haven't seen any updates on MSC's site. Also not sure what the point is of having a negative test when you'll still need to be tested at the pier... but I still would rather that than on the ship. 

This is the letter that was given to guests on the Meraviglia on January 2nd. The highlighted section states the new protocol for testing at the pier. Seems odd for me, also and confusing. I do know that unvacinated guests need to take a test at the pier during embarkation. The info can be found on the MSC for Me App under Check in Info and then Getting on Board, #4 states about the new Health Screening protocols.

MSC letter.jpg

Edited by miataman19
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, miataman19 said:

Testing, starting with the January 9 sailing, will be at the terminal during embarkation. You still need to have your negative test  done 72 hrs. prior to sailing.

Please confirm if this is 72 or 48 hours (?)  Our October and November sailings had a 48 hour deadline.

7 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Please confirm if this is 72 or 48 hours (?)  Our October and November sailings had a 48 hour deadline.

It is two calendar days and not by hours.  So Sunday 5 pm departure, you can take the test starting Friday 12:00 am ship time zone.

I'm not sure why folks are quoting hours...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miataman19 said:

This is the letter that was given to guests on the Meraviglia on January 2nd. The highlighted section states the new protocol for testing at the pier. Seems odd for me, also and confusing. I do know that unvacinated guests need to take a test at the pier during embarkation. The info can be found on the MSC for Me App under Check in Info and then Getting on Board, #4 states about the new Health Screening protocols.

MSC letter.jpg

Did they say what would happen if you tested + after you were on your cruise?

We have an inside cabin and would hate to be locked up in that tiny cabin.

Were any part of the cruise refunded, stuff like that?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Did they say what would happen if you tested + after you were on your cruise?

We have an inside cabin and would hate to be locked up in that tiny cabin.

Were any part of the cruise refunded, stuff like that?

Thanks.

You'll be locked up......not in your cabin.  They designate a floor or set of cabins as quarantine cabins.....

I think MSC may assign you a balcony for quarantine.

Until last week or so, you would have been SIL in terms of any sort of refund.  But recently, msc updated their policy on their website so you should get a prorated refund based on number of days stuck in covid jail on the ship.  Should being the operative word here....

I will perfectly understand if we test positive ourselves and having to be quarantined.  But I'll be really POed if based on their contact tracing, they require us to quarantine without a positive test which MSC does and will do...  I'm not saying we're perfect but we use the best PPE possible and protocols to give our families best chance to be covid free.  I've been inside overflowing pediatric ERs for hours during height of Covid with 1/3 Covid kids, 1/3 RSV kids and 1/3 whopping cough kids with all very distinct coughs....and we didn't get get covid  ::knock on wood::  So I don't expect us to get covid even if we're near covid positives...

Also, if we get covid on the ship despite the same protocols we'll use, the likely infection route would be probably from the MDR/buffet -- and inadequate social distancing which I'll attribute to MSC.  Or MSC did not follow its advertised covid protocol to include 100% outdoor air in the HVAC system....

We shall see...fingers crossed...but omicron seems to be super infectious and I think ultimately, omicron will break through our protective measures with or without the upcoming cruise 😞

Edited by FrostyJoe

1 hour ago, FrostyJoe said:

I will perfectly understand if we test positive ourselves and having to be quarantined.  But I'll be really POed if based on their contact tracing, they require us to quarantine without a positive test which MSC does and will do... 

How would they contact trace you?

7 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

How would they contact trace you?

They give you a modified Fitbit to wear. I think we have to wear it the whole time. I’m not sure what happens if we leave it in the room. I suppose they’ll come to ur room and look for possivle dead body 

20 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

I would like to know if testing will be done at the pier for our 4 day cruise on Jan 16th or if it will be done during the cruise.  I think it would be odd if they did a test on day 3 of a 4 day cruise.  We would be in Ocean Cay on day 3, so it would seem like an odd time to do a ship-wide test.  I am hoping the shorter cruises will not have an on-board testing requirement... 

We are on this cruise as well. I personally hope they do test at the pier as the letter that was posted indicated would be beginning this week. I think the 2 days before timeline allows for a lot of exposure time with the Omicron variant. I understand there is risk to any cruising right now, but I would definitely be more comfortable if all passengers tested negative as they board. 

6 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

They give you a modified Fitbit to wear. I think we have to wear it the whole time. I’m not sure what happens if we leave it in the room. I suppose they’ll come to ur room and look for possivle dead body 

We had those in YC 3 weeks ago. Not wearing it this coming weekend. If forced, I will disable it with a 500lb Magnet  (smaller than a half dollar) that I bring to hang stuff to dry on my balcony.

I could also leave it in my room and bring the ones from 3 weeks ago with me.

9 minutes ago, RAC630 said:

but I would definitely be more comfortable if all passengers tested negative as they board. 

We would like to test positive for a full refund. No matter how we try, we can't seem to. Xmas party, New years party. Almost everyone but us. We keep saying we are patient zero.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We would like to test positive for a full refund. No matter how we try, we can't seem to. Xmas party, New years party. Almost everyone but us. We keep saying we are patient zero.

Lol.  😄

But you never know if you'll win the covid lotto and omicron ends up putting you to the hospital.  I still don't want to get it even though I accept the fact that it's literally everywhere and we'll probably end up getting it...

33 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We had those in YC 3 weeks ago. Not wearing it this coming weekend. If forced, I will disable it with a 500lb Magnet  (smaller than a half dollar) that I bring to hang stuff to dry on my balcony.

I could also leave it in my room and bring the ones from 3 weeks ago with me.

Hmm........you're giving interesting thoughts.  Do you just touch it? or wear both at the same time?

9 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Hmm........you're giving interesting thoughts.  Do you just touch it? or wear both at the same time?

No, just touch it.  Discovered that because I would wear it when going to the pool. Once back I would hang my suit on the balcony and the bracelet would not work. 3 times they had to give me a new one over 2 weeks and then it hit me. Tried it with my wifes and hers went dead.

23 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Lol.  😄

But you never know if you'll win the covid lotto and omicron ends up putting you to the hospital.  I still don't want to get it even though I accept the fact that it's literally everywhere and we'll probably end up getting it...

Shots, boosted, and probably antibodies from the last Sailing of the Meraviglia in 2020, but we drink an excessive amount of booze so we may be sterilized from the inside out.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We found out this morning that the Kaito Teppanyaki & Sushi Bar is closed for the remainder of the sailing due to the staff having to quarantine. Everything else is still operational at this time from what I have seen. We are supposed to arrive in Costa Maya tomorrow morning. Hopefully there are no issues getting into port. 

1 minute ago, matt94 said:

We found out this morning that the Kaito Teppanyaki & Sushi Bar is closed for the remainder of the sailing due to the staff having to quarantine. Everything else is still operational at this time from what I have seen. We are supposed to arrive in Costa Maya tomorrow morning. Hopefully there are no issues getting into port. 

I wonder why mera is sailing with less % full vs. the seashore.   I'm happy though....I hope lots and lots and lots cancel the 1/16 cruise 😄

58 minutes ago, matt94 said:

Damn! I hope the sushi bar is back up and running for the Jan 16th cruise!  I was looking forward to some sushi!!!

2 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

I wonder why mera is sailing with less % full vs. the seashore.   I'm happy though....I hope lots and lots and lots cancel the 1/16 cruise 😄

The Mera is an older ship and many folks booked the Seashore for an "inaugural season" experience.  The Divina is even less full...

On 1/4/2022 at 1:03 PM, matt94 said:

I’m on Meraviglia right now. So far, there have been no issues with docking in Ocean Cay and the production shows. 

A madatory COVID test for the entire ship is currently in progress.  I was in the first group of about 15 people and there was already a positive case detected. I would assume there will be a decent amount of other cases identified by the time everyone gets tested today. 

It has been great on board so far. There are about 1000 passengers so it is very quiet. 

Is there a charge for the crepes and gelato on deck 6?

21 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

I will perfectly understand if we test positive ourselves and having to be quarantined.  But I'll be really POed if based on their contact tracing, they require us to quarantine without a positive test which MSC does and will do... 

I have been in communication with a young mother whose son tested positive on day 2. He and his father went to the quarantine cabin and the mother and other child were put in isolation in their cabin for five days. The three tested negative and she was begging for a covid test while in isolation to prove they were safe. I was heartbreaking to hear of the no/bad information she was given during this period. So, yes they will isolate you if one of your travel group tests positive. 

10 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I have been in communication with a young mother whose son tested positive on day 2. He and his father went to the quarantine cabin and the mother and other child were put in isolation in their cabin for five days. The three tested negative and she was begging for a covid test while in isolation to prove they were safe. I was heartbreaking to hear of the no/bad information she was given during this period. So, yes they will isolate you if one of your travel group tests positive. 

No good deed goes unpunished....that's horrible...  Sounds like even more of a disincentive for folks not to self-report symptoms which is sad since that's exactly opposite of what should be done for public health.

At they very least, they should have given them the option of staying in the same quarantine room or connecting quarantine rooms.....