Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

NYMich is doing a great job, and we are sharing the boat with him and what I believe I heard the Cruise Director say were a total of 640 souls (not including crew).

This ... simply overwhelms. Frame of reference, I have been an executive chef in a different life. I know I am preaching to the choir, but the food is simply beyond reproach.

We dined at Jacques (impossibly fine) on the first night, and at 6:30 I would say the seating was about 70% full. We could go to Polo tonight and share a table at 7:30, but I think we'll just enjoy the GDR. Lobster bisque, Marseillaise fish soup, butter roasted Maine Lobster, Prime Rib seem fine for us tonight. We have Polo later in the cruise.

I don't mind saying that Waves simply blows me away. The burger was out of this world, and surf and turf at the pool bar ... all of it incredible. 

I'll straight up say it - the itinerary sucks. This is a low quality, Eastern Caribbean set of ports (St. Martin, St. Thomas, Puerto Plata, NCL's private island). But they are what they are.

I have told my wife to consider strongly delaying building our next home and taking the April 4 cruise of this ship.  It's been that awesome. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We were in the Concierge restricted area around 3:30 - total occupied lounges, perhaps 5, including ours.

When we returned earlier in the day to Waves, at roughly 2:30 there were three tables. Our medium burger and MR SnT arrived easily within 10 minutes of ordering. Some where in between took up residence near the pool. Similarly empty-ish, although more guests. 

Unfortunately after a complimentary back rub and a bit of sleep outside, we were too late to partake in the artist in residence. It looked to me that he had an excellent crowd. 

The ship has the complete feel of being nearly empty, even though it is half full. Yet we have met some wonderful guests. Today at the private island, I talked for 25 minutes with a geophysicist with his incredible stories of mining across the world. Last night we shared a table at Jacques with Scottish man and his English wife, along with another couple.

Remarkable feeling, all around. Entertainment last night was fine; I don't think I'd miss anything to be in attendance, but nice enough. They did a review of several acts to occur later on in the show. Tonight another vocalist. 

Couple of negatives ... because nothing is perfect. Storage actually is a little light, and we aren't big packers. I think the cabins could do with more outlets, and better lighting control around the beds.

I know this is all over the place, but I'll say this ... the soap is wonderful. And must have forgotten the nice bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived. 

It's only been 24 hours, but I came here with a bit of prove-it-to-me attitude and it's been wonderful. All that, and a bag of lobster and beef flavored chips.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Official Numbers (excellent source) I showed this blog and they actually said Thank you.

690 onboard

60 to continue on.

My source could not give the next cruise booking until the 12th probably because of the FCC shuffle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

NYMich is doing a great job, and we are sharing the boat with him and what I believe I heard the Cruise Director say were a total of 640 souls (not including crew).

This ... simply overwhelms. Frame of reference, I have been an executive chef in a different life. I know I am preaching to the choir, but the food is simply beyond reproach.

We dined at Jacques (impossibly fine) on the first night, and at 6:30 I would say the seating was about 70% full. We could go to Polo tonight and share a table at 7:30, but I think we'll just enjoy the GDR. Lobster bisque, Marseillaise fish soup, butter roasted Maine Lobster, Prime Rib seem fine for us tonight. We have Polo later in the cruise.

I don't mind saying that Waves simply blows me away. The burger was out of this world, and surf and turf at the pool bar ... all of it incredible. 

I'll straight up say it - the itinerary sucks. This is a low quality, Eastern Caribbean set of ports (St. Martin, St. Thomas, Puerto Plata, NCL's private island). But they are what they are.

I have told my wife to consider strongly delaying building our next home and taking the April 4 cruise of this ship.  It's been that awesome. 

The food was very good on our recently ended cruise as well - we really enjoyed Waves grill for lunch on several occasions.  Outstanding burgers, and the Salmon burger (*not* your usual salmon patty) and Maduro grilled tuna were great as well.

20211226_120334.thumb.jpg.d902c1e5982a0dcc480c6115748158a9.jpg

We also had dinner at Jacques our first night, and it was definitely the highlight, although we had a late 9pm seating (only 2-top we could get when reserving) and were maybe a little rushed, the food was fantastic.  The scallops were the highlight for me - very few places cook them properly. 

20211223_210219.thumb.jpg.370f9308802cd76074dcc849207d42ec.jpg

20211223_210838.thumb.jpg.8d4462dd9a754ddac1727515031c68c3.jpg

20211223_211747.thumb.jpg.8b15b865a170f8974eae9fb962e1f328.jpg

20211223_213254.thumb.jpg.76921e2c3a940681ee46289b820503a0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much, and for being so generous with us Jan 14 people taking over your live-from – we really need this info!

I have two dinners in La Reserve booked, and DW and I are wondering if that venue has sufficient social distancing to feel comfortable.  Can you give any advice?

31 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you so much, and for being so generous with us Jan 14 people taking over your live-from – we really need this info!

I have two dinners in La Reserve booked, and DW and I are wondering if that venue has sufficient social distancing to feel comfortable.  Can you give any advice?

This is the layout they had last week - I walked by once while they were having one, and I think this was the same spacing they had for the actual dinner.

20211225_200125.thumb.jpg.5c51962d1713f7712d11534eebcccfba.jpg.737c48b45b1fab51288bd9da91d6231e.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ohmark said:

Enjoying the live posting here from all of you: pilgrimage, AlexCherie, and NYmich. Thanks so much to all of you. Looking forward to more.

Mark

Mark - I was actually on the prior 12/23 sailing, just got off the ship yesterday.  Figured I would chime in anyway since I don't think much has changed so far.

AlexCherie,

I am sure the fine dining will continue. We just spent 46 days on Riviera and because we were in a PH, about 38-40 nights in the Specially restaurants, just because there was availability. Jacques, the sea bass for two in a puff pastry is amazing. They also have the best filet of sole and the pumpkin and onion soups are OUTSTANDING. And the beat goes on. When you get to Reg Ginger, you must have the Watermelon and Duck salad and the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass 🤪. Say hello to Warunee the Maitre d from Bonnie and Gerry Esker.

When you get to Toscana, ask Andrea the Maitre d if they have any Classic Tiramisu on the menu. That is OUR “code” for their AMAZING Lasagne that was removed from their menu with the new Toscana Menus. Beef in Polo is best ordered Medium Rare and the Maine Lobster is fantastic.  Also, I found an Outstanding Red wine on the Polo wine list. If they still have any, try the Ferrari Carano Prevail West Face, $86. It is only sold at the Winery and it is $120 there so it is a steal. Enjoy!

Also, definitely take the opportunity to meet and chat with Laurence, the Food and Beverage Director.  She is Exceptional and tell her hello from Doug and Karen Thom and Gerry and Bonnie Esker.  We spent time with her everyday.  
In your room, if it does not have enough space, don’t try a R Class ship, or else only book a PH. Actually a PH on Riviera and Marina is pretty sweet and plenty of room. For the outlet shortage, easy fix. We carry multi-plug units that include USB plugs. A few of those and we can plug in every electronic device and also my CPAP. Tell your room steward you need more outlets and they will help you. I do believe you also have a plug at the head of your bed at the floor level.  I am sure your bed is quite comfortable as well. We purchased one so we could always remember our stays on Oceania. 
Welcome to Oceania and enjoy your cruise. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@AlexCherie - the Terrace Cafe is no slouch for dinner either if you want a less structured approach or al fresco dining.  I found the selections to be very good (often the same items as served in MDR).  Plus, it seemed the 2-lobster order was very popular at the grill station 🙂

20211223_190352.thumb.jpg.4aaa33730a7dce223937167653dd9805.jpg

20211223_190119.thumb.jpg.7934f1c1942b2faf028bfa8b235f203a.jpg

20211223_190538.thumb.jpg.3fe3ac0dd9b52aac61eecc9c00fe037d.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AlexCherie said:

I agree with your opinion of the itinerary and no longer do Caribbean itineraries.  However, the Mediterranean and Baltic itineraries are great and Riviera is our favorite ship.  Enjoy the dining!

We are also on this cruise and everything has been exceptional so far.  It feels virtually empty.  We were told the two RCCL ships docked at Coco Cay (which were visible to us from Great Stirrup Cay) were not allowed to disembark passengers due to Covid outbreaks.  Not sure if that’s true, but passengers our ship seem to be following protocol to a tee.

45 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Jazz from what I know its set up the same way.  If I can get some more info I will try to let you know.  I really don't mind helping wherever I can because these are different times so I booked now and want to be a resource for others if I can.

18 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Jazz from what I know its set up the same way.  If I can get some more info I will try to let you know.  I really don't mind helping wherever I can because these are different times so I booked now and want to be a resource for others if I can.

Thanks.  The picture is what I remember from other cruise lines' similar venues – fine in the old days but way too close for comfort now if they are filling all the seats.  If they are leaving every other pair vacant or spacing them out, that would be fine [e.g. reduce capacity from 24 as shown to 12 or at most 18]

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks.  The picture is what I remember from other cruise lines' similar venues – fine in the old days but way too close for comfort now if they are filling all the seats.  If they are leaving every other pair vacant or spacing them out, that would be fine [e.g. reduce capacity from 24 as shown to 12 or at most 18]

Jazz.....my feelings exactly.  We are trying to change it up a bit.  It worked the first 3 cruises and it's better on the mind imo

8 minutes ago, World travellers said:

Thanks so much for all your information so far.  It especially enjoyable as we look out our window in Victoria viewing a snow storm.  😀

Is Martinis & the pool bar open with seating.

No seating allowed at any of the bars (walk-up orders are OK).  Lounge tables, etc. are normal seating - they are just trying to prevent cross-pollination at the crowded bar.  You can see the sign on the backs of the chairs in the photo if you look closely.  Plus, they have the seats hooked over the rail so you can't pull them out.

The happy bartender is Baptist - look him up (I mostly saw him at waves), he's a good guy.

20211224_170735.thumb.jpg.3a1bae10739618533df8cd661127d391.jpg

image.png.a3050854108424f2a3dbe2cbed16448e.png

Edited by pilgrimage
  • Like 1