Live From Orion “French Polynesia Jan 5 2022”

RICHARDandSTEFAN

31 minutes ago, ldpetrillo said:

Hello Viking Orion. I am a passenger on the Viking Star WC. Are you allowed to go off the ship independent of a Viking Excursion? Since we left LA on the 12th, we can only leave the ship on an official excursion. They are keeping us in a bubble. 

On this cruise, we are free to go ashore as we want. For now. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, Twitchly said:

We’re in Hawaii right now visiting friends, and yesterday we saw a smallish cruise ship docked here (in Kauai). Couldn’t get a look at the company (not Viking). Looks like Hawaii is open to at least some cruise ships again.

Yes, 3 cruise ship lines have been approved for cruise travel to Hawaii.  Unfortunately, Hawaii opened up too late to coordinate with either the Polynesian cruise or the 2021/22 World Cruise.

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2022/01/04/first-port-agreements-for-restart-of-cruise-travel-in-hawaii-signed/

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2022/01/14/third-cruise-line-signs-port-agreement-with-state-of-hawaii/

With the change in the schedule it turns out we will be in Papeete for our anniversary. We were thinking of having dinner ashore. For those who have been here before, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice dinner? French or Polynesian would be my first choice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

Hello Viking Orion. I am a passenger on the Viking Star WC. Are you allowed to go off the ship independent of a Viking Excursion? Since we left LA on the 12th, we can only leave the ship on an official excursion. They are keeping us in a bubble. 

At first we were in a bubble but after days of all negative staff and crew and  days at sea with no ports they have allowed us to tour independently.  Also French Polynesia has very low covid rates and most tours/activities are outdoors.  They have stressed we all need to continue being careful.  It seems they are trying to do their best.  I hope it will open up at some point for you too.   Stay safe! 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, RICHARDandSTEFAN said:

Scenic cruising the coast line of Tahaa and Raiatea atolls  Part 1

26B2FC89-DA73-4999-8075-463E69937C2E.jpeg

B88F2F44-858A-4825-940C-E31E5E1D1DCC.jpeg

57F1E2DA-EE50-465C-B97E-D2524504527F.jpeg

93C29D03-746D-4B77-B940-C9D0AB0104DA.jpeg

F499449F-BE11-404E-BBE8-20DF343AEBA6.jpeg

4ABDA912-BB15-4F74-8DC3-8F1AAFA57EDF.jpeg

OMG!  Thanks so much for your photos!  It brings back wonderful memories from our Regent Cruise on the PG.  Enjoy every minute!

1 hour ago, albertamom said:

Had a FANTASTIC “Shark and Stingray Snorkel Safari” this morning!!!  Sitting on my balcony in Bora Bora enjoying a bottle, I mean a glass, of wine and thinking of new friends. I’m immensely grateful. 🥰

C64FBE46-3873-48FA-9FE6-146FE4129A05.jpeg

We were on that tour this afternoon. I completely echo the sentiment

3 hours ago, albertamom said:

Had a FANTASTIC “Shark and Stingray Snorkel Safari” this morning!!!  Sitting on my balcony in Bora Bora enjoying a bottle, I mean a glass, of wine and thinking of new friends. I’m immensely grateful. 🥰

C64FBE46-3873-48FA-9FE6-146FE4129A05.jpeg

You might want to reconsider your wine choice. Viking isn't too happy with Argentina right now. 😃

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks everyone for sharing such beautiful photos!  DH and I did the shark/stingray excursion years ago while on a Regent precruise stay at the Bora Bora Pearl. A moment to remember for sure.

Don't forget to check out the men's room at Bloody Marys if you go there!

Keep enjoying!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DonandGary said:

Has anyone been able to do the overnight in an over water bungalow?

Not overnight but we had pals from a Paul Gauguin cruise staying in one and visiting.  Very nice looking, tropical for sure.  There was a bit of a swell and the waves hitting the pilings made a bit of a "wiggle" to the house.  And, like any place in Polynesia, you have to like real humidity.  Steps down into the sea for your private swims.  I saw an article where the Bitter End on Virgin Gorda has built some similar houses over the water.  Wonder if they will be as popular as the Polynesia ones.  We used to live on a boat so probably would sleep like babies in one of the bungalows.  

11 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Not overnight but we had pals from a Paul Gauguin cruise staying in one and visiting.  Very nice looking, tropical for sure.  There was a bit of a swell and the waves hitting the pilings made a bit of a "wiggle" to the house.  And, like any place in Polynesia, you have to like real humidity.  Steps down into the sea for your private swims.  I saw an article where the Bitter End on Virgin Gorda has built some similar houses over the water.  Wonder if they will be as popular as the Polynesia ones.  We used to live on a boat so probably would sleep like babies in one of the bungalows.  

Since we had to forgo this cruise at the 8th hour before our flight we have booked Paul Gauguin for August, but we are waiting to push it up to April. We are not going to miss French Polynesia this year!!! We just had a Covid hiccup that prevented us from flying out 8 hrs before our flight😢. We may have been down, but we are NOT out!!!!!

• Like 3

Just now, DonandGary said:

Since we had to forgo this cruise at the 8th hour before our flight we have booked Paul Gauguin for August, but we are waiting to push it up to April. We are not going to miss French Polynesia this year!!! We just had a Covid hiccup that prevented us from flying out 8 hrs before our flight😢. We may have been down, but we are NOT out!!!!!

Good job!  We loved the PG.  The only downer was the included Air Tahiti Nui flight.  The WORST we have ever had.  In the future we would do as others told us, travel to Hawaii on Hawaiian and then on to Tahiti the next day or so.  ATN has all the convenient slots at the airport locked up so it takes some creativity to avoid them.

32 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Good job!  We loved the PG.  The only downer was the included Air Tahiti Nui flight.  The WORST we have ever had.  In the future we would do as others told us, travel to Hawaii on Hawaiian and then on to Tahiti the next day or so.  ATN has all the convenient slots at the airport locked up so it takes some creativity to avoid them.

We will def keep that in mind! We won’t be able to do an overnight bungalow because we are booked on a 14 day Paul Gauguin cruise and the only overnight is the last night in Papeete, however we visit 10 different islands in those days. Something different every day. 
We were so disappointed missing this cruise, we just had to do something. We’re so glad The Orion cruise has been so successful and safe for you guys… and you still have a ways to go!!! We are so envious 🥰

Edited by DonandGary
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, DonandGary said:

We will def keep that in mind! We won’t be able to do an overnight bungalow because we are booked on a 14 day Paul Gauguin cruise and the only overnight is the last night in Papeete, however we visit 10 different islands in those days. Something different every day. 
We were so disappointed missing this cruise, we just had to do something. We’re so glad The Orion cruise has been so successful and safe for you guys… and you still have a ways to go!!! We are so envious 🥰

Be sure to have good insurance! We meet a couple on our excursion yesterday who were booked on the PG. The day before they were supposed to board, after they had arrived, the cruise was canceled! 😱 they were left completely hanging and were NOT offered a refund, no help with lodging, nothing! They are following up with their insurance, but are also looking at legal options. To top things off, it's their honeymoon! (They have had a wonderful time, albeit at double+ the $$$)

11 minutes ago, booksfan said:

Be sure to have good insurance! We meet a couple on our excursion yesterday who were booked on the PG. The day before they were supposed to board, after they had arrived, the cruise was canceled! 😱 they were left completely hanging and were NOT offered a refund, no help with lodging, nothing! They are following up with their insurance, but are also looking at legal options. To top things off, it's their honeymoon! (They have had a wonderful time, albeit at double+ the $$$)

We ALWAYS have travel insurance. If we didn’t? Do you think Viking would have compensated us for an 8th hour Covid shutdown of our travels?

Don had his luggage forwarded with Vikings authorized forwarding company and Viking refused to assist us in retrieving the bags. Their excuse was that it was a third party vendor. Agreed. A third party vendor promoted by their company! Thankfully it worked out. 
Anyone who travels during these times of Covid and chooses not purchase travel insurance? They risk a huge financial loss, and nobody to blame but themselves.
We were covered with Viking and will be covered with Paul Gauguin. It’s the only way to book travel plans during these times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

During our 1987 trip to Tahiti, we spent 6 nights in an overwater bungalow on Moorea and 3 nights in an overwater bungalow on Bora Bora. Great fun! I remember diving from our living room into the BB lagoon. Too many tropical fish to count — it was like living in an aquarium.

• Like 4

We (Ed and Lynne) just booked the Francky Franck 4x4 tour for Moorea ( 25 January) thru trip advisor if anyone wants to join us. It’s $50 per person and they have thousands of five star ratings. They are picking us up at the dock at 8 AM. Our ship is due in at 7 AM