Live From Orion “French Polynesia Jan 5 2022”

RICHARDandSTEFAN

10 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

So … what is a dome show?

A few of the Viking Ocean ships have a planetarium that shows 3D films.  We enjoyed several of the shows.  I would just reschedule to attend the crossing ceremony since that only occurs once.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

So … what is a dome show?

We watched 2 of them in the "planetarium". It is not a planetarium, it is a circular theater with uncomfortable chairs where you have to lean back to watch a movie on the ceiling. The movies weren't very good. There were 3 offered. Our necks hurt and the chairs were horrid. It took up so much nice space in the Explorers Lounge. I guess they figured it out because it is not on the newer ships. Maybe the films improved since the ones that we watched in 2019. We were disappointed then. OK, ask me how I REALLY feel about it!!!🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Thanks for the crossing pictures. Did they do the typical thing where you jump into the ice in the hot tub, kiss the fish, and get the blue nose and aquavit? Someday.....so far I've only seen pictures.

i haven't been fortunate enough to participate in either but I don't think the 'Blue nose' ceremony as seen on tv when a Viking ship crossed the arctic circle and the Shellback ceremony are the same. 

10 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

I agree, the dome show was nothing I'd want to repeat. Ever.

I'm with you.  Want to see a beautiful star show?  Go up on deck 8 in a darker space and look up most nights.  The best show on earth.  And you can do it with a martini in hand if you wish.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I'm with you.  Want to see a beautiful star show?  Go up on deck 8 in a darker space and look up most nights.  The best show on earth.  And you can do it with a martini in hand if you wish.

The best part (at least for us) of having the planetarium, was the astronomer and the big telescope.  During our Asia Discovery cruise, he set up on every clear night up on Deck 8 and helped us neophytes see things we hadn’t before. Rings of Saturn were amazing! 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Thanks for the crossing pictures. Did they do the typical thing where you jump into the ice in the hot tub, kiss the fish, and get the blue nose and aquavit? Someday.....so far I've only seen pictures.

No. The ceremony was scaled way back for Covid protocols. We did still all have an aquavit toast as we crossed. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

i haven't been fortunate enough to participate in either but I don't think the 'Blue nose' ceremony as seen on tv when a Viking ship crossed the arctic circle and the Shellback ceremony are the same. 

Affirmative, they are completely different. Crossed the Equator many times and ice was never included. Compared to what I received an ice bath would have been a welcome alternative.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NTurner said:

Question to those on the Orion; we’re you effected by the tsunami that occurred in the Pacific? 

Tsunamis at sea are not a problem for ships in the open ocean, as the wave is fairly small. Only when it reached shallow water do the problems start.

If the ship was at anchor in Nuku Hiva, and a Tsunami was reported, the Master would weigh anchor and depart for deeper waters.

• Like 6

What's happening with all of you on the Orion?  It's troubling that there are no reports.  I hope that you are all offshore, well away from land where Clay Clayton says you'll be safer -- with limited internet for the moment!  Thoughts are with you.  

6 minutes ago, KTRaveller said:

What's happening with all of you on the Orion?  It's troubling that there are no reports.  I hope that you are all offshore, well away from land where Clay Clayton says you'll be safer -- with limited internet for the moment!  Thoughts are with you.  

Sorry -- that was Heidi13's information about being at sea.  Tonga's a really long way off, so hope that no ports are affected on your cruise. I'll concentrate my thoughts on the poor Tongans from now!

55 minutes ago, SouthernMainer said:

Who’s planning to watch today’s NFL GAME?

Buffalo Bills vs Patriots. 3:30pm our time today. 

where’s the best place to view it?

any suggestions appreciated 

Are they showing it on the big screen out by the pool?  That's where I'd be, in a well placed deck chair with that wonderful pool grill nearby.  A nice dip in the pool or hot tub at half time would work nicely too 🙂  

Did you guys hear the blast from the volcano?  I heard a soundbite from somewhere 1000km from the blast (Fiji maybe?) and it sounded like it was RIGHT THERE.  

4 hours ago, SouthernMainer said:

Who’s planning to watch today’s NFL GAME?

Buffalo Bills vs Patriots. 3:30pm our time today. 

where’s the best place to view it?

any suggestions appreciated 

It all depends on what channels Viking is carrying which games you will be able to get.  We were able to get ESPN on the last sailing and DH was able to watch some of the games but Bills-Pats is on CBS today and I can't remember if CBS was one of the channels available.

In any case, maybe you don't want to watch because yes, it is that depressing.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:46 AM, stretchcruz said:

We watched 2 of them in the "planetarium". It is not a planetarium, it is a circular theater with uncomfortable chairs where you have to lean back to watch a movie on the ceiling. The movies weren't very good. There were 3 offered. Our necks hurt and the chairs were horrid. It took up so much nice space in the Explorers Lounge. I guess they figured it out because it is not on the newer ships. Maybe the films improved since the ones that we watched in 2019. We were disappointed then. OK, ask me how I REALLY feel about it!!!🙂

Actually the shows on the Jupiter in 2020 were pretty good.  We went to 3 of them.  Having experienced and enjoyed them, i would still prefer a full upper Explorers Lounge.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:49 AM, stretchcruz said:

Dobie, that's what we did on our Into the Midnight Sun cruise. It was so much fun. I'm really glad I did it since I will probably never do it again. We also got a really nice certificate left in our rooms that evening. 

• Like 2