Live From Orion “French Polynesia Jan 5 2022”

RICHARDandSTEFAN

On 1/22/2022 at 8:56 AM, DonandGary said:

Since we had to forgo this cruise at the 8th hour before our flight we have booked Paul Gauguin for August, but we are waiting to push it up to April. We are not going to miss French Polynesia this year!!! We just had a Covid hiccup that prevented us from flying out 8 hrs before our flight😢. We may have been down, but we are NOT out!!!!!

2nd hand info but our guide told us July-Sept is best time for weather and should be whales too.

1 hour ago, anne siegel said:

We canceled this trip at the last minute. What is ship life like each day? Are you finding enough things to keep you busy when not in port?

Oh yes! I have trouble doing all I want to do, there are so many choices! On sea days, there are bridge lessons and games daily, unhosted craft corner, there have been needle felting classes, embroidery classes about the Bayeux Tapestry, stairwell Bayeux tapestry tours, trivia, and the lectures/lecturers are fabulous. There are so many of them that I just can't make it to all of them, so I am glad they record then so we can watch them later. I now I've missed activities as well. We are having a wonderful time 😁

• Like 5

We had a glorious day in Moorea, a small all day group excursion we booked with friends on the cruise. It was the 4of is and another couple from the ship. We has a fabulous time! Great weather, gorgeous water and views. We all agreed, are would have loved another day (or two 😜) in Moorea.20220125_113803.thumb.jpg.06267af3ff34afb518858f49e10c0d31.jpg20220125_113809.thumb.jpg.062895ec30ef083913a1d34a207d3b49.jpg20220125_120427.thumb.jpg.c9bbe203cd44f6ad6d454158271b1b9e.jpg20220125_100707.thumb.jpg.92d22f0a49dfe892583086675c7358e6.jpg20220125_111640.thumb.jpg.d3cb66a63fcae77ccc7fd549c6e48ce2.jpg20220125_100438.thumb.jpg.0978896f900f01b522f6eb411317dd49.jpg20220125_141502.thumb.jpg.f43fd3c37ee84b962e630a26d0b3fe7e.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, SailingDeb2001 said:

I love this part of the world.  Everyone's pictures are so beautiful.

We will be sailing on the Viking Orion in Alaska this summer. 

Does anyone know if they sell GoPro or other cameras in the ship's gift shop?

I don't mean to offend you in any way, but why would you not purchase a GoPro (or any other camera) prior to a voyage? Many, many years ago you may have been able to score a better deal by buying  aboard a ship, but now you will pay much more than the best price you can find elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, gramoe said:

I don't mean to offend you in any way, but why would you not purchase a GoPro (or any other camera) prior to a voyage? Many, many years ago you may have been able to score a better deal by buying  aboard a ship, but now you will pay much more than the best price you can find elsewhere.

I agree. We are currently on the Orion and the gift shop isn’t fully stock. Most of their  items haven’t been replaced due to supply lines. I suggest you purchase at your home.

3 hours ago, gramoe said:

3 hours ago, nanamobo said:

I agree. We are currently on the Orion and the gift shop isn’t fully stock. Most of their  items haven’t been replaced due to supply lines. I suggest you purchase at your home.

Thanks.  We have a shipboard credit, so I was just thinking ahead.

11 hours ago, nanamobo said:

It isn't just supply lines but three cruises in a row have had guests with credits to burn. 

Another reason not to buy a camera on board, is the learning curve, time to practice with the camera before you start taking vacation pictures with it.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Wonderful pictures everyone!  Enjoying your reports!

Have a future cruise booked on Orion.  
Can any of you give opinions on the mattresses?

Are they firm ?  I have read reports of firm mattresses.

Thanks!

Opinions on Mattresses are like those on food-very subjective.

We have found Vikings mattresses them just right but others say too firm and some say too soft. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, prunderw said:

Captain just reported positive covid case, 12 days without any covid cases.  Close contacts and positive case has been isolated.  No impact currently on tomorrow's port call in Nuku Hiva.

Great open and transparent communication from our Captain and Viking.

Did the Captain report how many close contacts have been identified and isolated?