Best Snorkel and Mask?

trustthedj

Can anyone suggest a good snorkel and mask and where to purchase online? I have looked at so many sites and am now completely confused as what to get! Also, any suggestions for good snorkeling in Acapulco (understand there's not too much there), Z/Ixtapa, and Manzanillo? Thanks!:)

Can anyone suggest a good snorkel and mask and where to purchase online? I have looked at so many sites and am now completely confused as what to get! Also, any suggestions for good snorkeling in Acapulco (understand there's not too much there), Z/Ixtapa, and Manzanillo? Thanks!:)

If you are not familiar with the equipment you will best be served by going to a local dive shop and buying there. It might cost a bit more but you can try the stuff on. As strange as it may seem not all masks fit the same way and you want one that fits right.

If you are not familiar with the equipment you will best be served by going to a local dive shop and buying there. It might cost a bit more but you can try the stuff on. As strange as it may seem not all masks fit the same way and you want one that fits right.

I have to concur, unless you're one of those people who has never had a problem with a leaking mask, the "skirt" of the mask is the most important fit you can have. Each mask is different and if you are going to invest in your own, get one that fits well (you wouldn't buy "pants" at an on-line store without wanting to know the size and length). When I first started, I had to try three masks over several months before I found one that fit without leaks (another advantage of a dive shop, if you decide the mask isn't for you, most will trade for other masks (they use the trade-in at discover scuba courses and rental)). Anyway, paying a bit more and not having your eyes stinging or having to constantly raise your head out of the water to empty it is well worth the few bucks extra.

Hope this helps,

Randall

I got my snorkel set at Costco. It worked great. The mask fit perfectly and did not leak at all. There is also a convenient carrying case to hold all of the equipment. I have leant it to a friend who snorkels frequently and she said it was one of the best fitting masks and snorkel sets she has used. The cost was $39

I got my snorkel set at Costco. It worked great. The mask fit perfectly and did not leak at all. There is also a convenient carrying case to hold all of the equipment. I have leant it to a friend who snorkels frequently and she said it was one of the best fitting masks and snorkel sets she has used. The cost was $39

Its really great when something like this work out but don't count on it. My wife and I are both dive instructors. Her favorite mask cost much less than mine. I'd rather not spend the money but mine fits me and hers doesn't.

The best mask is the one that fits no matter what the $. Same with snorkels a simple tube with flexible bottom section and a little practice and skill is less tiring and usually much more comfortable than the so called dry ones - and much less expensive.

I hate it when people have normal size faces :) . I have a narrow face (and crows feet) around my eyes and they leak like crazy in "off the shelf" masks. 'Course I can never find clothes my size on the sales rack either. :o

All kidding aside, it's better to have a cheap mask that's yours than to take the mask that the crew dig out from under the seats on the catamaran on the snorkel cruise (which probably cost less than $39 and been in use for a couple of years). :D

I'd find something else to do .... Aca.. for sure.

Archived