Zuiderdam Quarantine

NMCruiser123

Good morning all.  I’m up early to start day 2 if my isolation (I learned that quarantine is the term for when you have an exposure/are undergoing testing, whereas isolation is when you are confirmed infected.). Looking forward to seeing us pull into Chiapas Mexico this morning, although being limited to only seeing the view from one side of the ship always makes me worried I’ll be stuck with just a water view, but we’ll find out!

I have to give credit where credit is due.  Yesterday I asked if it was possible to get a set of dumbbells for use in my room.  Originally I was told no by guest services and the guest services manager which was disappointing but I accepted it as it was a strange request.  But last night the guest services manager dropped 2 ten pound dumbbells off at my door!  The gesture made me feel very happy.  Happier than I should feel but I think emotions get magnified in this situation.  Both positive and negative.  I am guessing these are actually from the crew gym, because they aren’t like the ones I saw in the regular fitness center and they’ve definitely had some love in their lives.  Thank you to Zuiderdam guest services for pulling this off for me.

I’ll continue to keep people updated if there is anything much to report, but you’ll discover, as I have, that monotony is not very entertaining.  Happy to continue answering any questions though, and thank you all so much for your support!

Someone asked what cabin I’m in, it’s 6033.  I’ve never transited the Panama Canal before but I’m hoping it’s high enough to give me a good perspective.  I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to that full day of sights/sounds/diversions.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

I am so sorry you are going through this, but perhaps you can put your time to good use.   Put together a pamphlet or booklet on tips and ideas for isolation on board a ship.   You could include packing tips for just in case (a deck of cards, books, etc) and what to expect and how to get what you need once isolated.  Then, you can sell it to HAL to pass out to guests in isolation.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I am very sorry this happened to you but am glad you are feeling physically ok.     I hope they reduce your quarantine to 5 days per the CDC guidelines.  

We are supposed to be on the 2/13 Panama Canal cruise. We are both boosted and always wear masks but I don’t know if I could mentally handle 10 days in a cabin. I am trying to decide if we should go or take the FCC available 30 days prior to the cruise. Your opinion?  

Did they give you the option to increase your internet package?  That would help a bit.  Maybe you could get ebooks.  I recommend Janet Evanovich, One for the Money, funny series about a female bail bond enforcement agent.   Crosswords might pass the time too. Someone on another thread suggested calling the rooms of others who are in quarantine.  

Thank you for posting this thread.  I’ll be checking back frequently.  Stay strong.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I am very sorry this happened to you but am glad you are feeling physically ok.     I hope they reduce your quarantine to 5 days per the CDC guidelines.  

We are supposed to be on the 2/13 Panama Canal cruise. We are both boosted and always wear masks but I don’t know if I could mentally handle 10 days in a cabin. I am trying to decide if we should go or take the FCC available 30 days prior to the cruise. Your opinion?  

Did they give you the option to increase your internet package?  That would help a bit.  Maybe you could get ebooks.  I recommend Janet Evanovich, One for the Money, funny series about a female bail bond enforcement agent.   Crosswords might pass the time too. Someone on another thread suggested calling the rooms of others who are in quarantine.  

Thank you for posting this thread.  I’ll be checking back frequently.  Stay strong.  

It is a tough call!  I think the chances of it happening are individually low and I just drew one of the short straws this time.  Would I go on this cruise again?  Probably, but perhaps not during the middle of a COVID surge.  Things may be improving by mid-February.  I had the internet package from the beginning as part of the “Have It All” fare (sort of a misnomer now, I don’t have it all!) and its been working remarkably fast.  Thanks for the recommendations, I have a few books I’m reading, plus thousands of crossword puzzles!

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am so sorry you are going through this, but perhaps you can put your time to good use.   Put together a pamphlet or booklet on tips and ideas for isolation on board a ship.   You could include packing tips for just in case (a deck of cards, books, etc) and what to expect and how to get what you need once isolated.  Then, you can sell it to HAL to pass out to guests in isolation.  

Yes I should capitalize on the situation!

• Like 7

I am also aboard and as soon as I looked outside this morning my heart sank for you.  Your situation was the first thing on my mind when I looked out. I understood you are on the starboard side of the ship and as we are on the port side, and currently facing the port, I knew you would not be.  I can only imagine how important that would have been for you and I am so sorry.  I wish HAL would be more concerned about the mental health of those in isolation.  I’m not suggesting that they would make docking decisions based on this, but all in all, it doesn't seem like they are addressing the mental health needs much at all.  But, yay on the dumb bells!  I imagine this is a learning curve for HAL and we can hope they will get better.  Know that you have a lot of us onboard holding you in our hearts and sending good thoughts your way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

91479901_SnowDay.thumb.JPG.9c4ac23d628baee7dee2978a84965881.JPG

Today, I would gladly change places with you from my self-imposed quarantine. It's 25 degrees.

You may find this blog interesting. This man was one of the passengers that was quarantined from the Diamond Princess back when covid started. I admired his attitude.

https://www.hometownstation.com/home-town-station/carl-goldman-coronavirus-journals-316093

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 1

You should have a fine view of the Canal from where you are and you are lucky enough to be on the "better" side of the ship.  There isn't much to see on the other side other than jungle but from your side you'll catch glimpses of the road and possibly the train that goes from one end of the Canal to the other.  Prior to and at the beginning of the transit you'll see Panama City, a huge city with many very unusually shaped buildings.  You may not be able to see them as it might be dark out but the skyline lit up is amazing.  Further along there will be a few towns and the prison where Noriega was held.  We've been through on deck 6 on the Amsterdam (smaller ship) and the view was fine from there for us.  I'm adding a link from when we went through from south to north (Pacific to Caribbean) on Princess a few years ago so you can get an idea of what you'll see.  If you search on my blog for "Panama Canal", there will be other blogs from the Canal.  I started blogging for my Holland America cruises in 2008.  Another link I will include is one of the webcams at the Pedro Miguel locks on the southern end of the canal.  If you time it right, you would be able to take a screen shot of the ship as you go thru there.   Near the top left on the page, if you click on "Webcams" you can go to the other locks for more pictures as you go through. 

Also glad you got the dumbells!! 

I was the one that asked about the cabin #....we were supposed to be in 6038 next cruise until they changed us to deck 5 a few days ago.

https://lindavesadventures.com/2016/03/01/february-28-2016-panama-canal/

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/Webcams/cerro-luisa.html

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

You should have a fine view of the Canal from where you are and you are lucky enough to be on the "better" side of the ship.  There isn't much to see on the other side other than jungle but from your side you'll catch glimpses of the road and possibly the train that goes from one end of the Canal to the other.  Prior to and at the beginning of the transit you'll see Panama City, a huge city with many very unusually shaped buildings.  You may not be able to see them as it might be dark out but the skyline lit up is amazing.  Further along there will be a few towns and the prison where Noriega was held.  We've been through on deck 6 on the Amsterdam (smaller ship) and the view was fine from there for us.  I'm adding a link from when we went through from south to north (Pacific to Caribbean) on Princess a few years ago so you can get an idea of what you'll see.  If you search on my blog for "Panama Canal", there will be other blogs from the Canal.  I started blogging for my Holland America cruises in 2008.  Another link I will include is one of the webcams at the Pedro Miguel locks on the southern end of the canal.  If you time it right, you would be able to take a screen shot of the ship as you go thru there.   Near the top left on the page, if you click on "Webcams" you can go to the other locks for more pictures as you go through. 

I was the one that asked about the cabin #....we were supposed to be in 6038 next cruise until they changed us to deck 5 a few days ago.

I agree with you.  I think the view will be fine given the circumstances.  I know people like to run all over the ship to get the best view.  I do not enjoy being around hundreds of people (even pre covid) so I was never one that had to be in the “best” place such as the bow although I have been there.  I remember one time someone telling me I shouldn’t talk because her husband was recording the transit 🙄.  I’m much happier being in my cabana or balcony.  I understand that the op can’t go on the bow or in a cabana.

• Like 1

I have been following along on the OP's trials and tribulations during quarantine and have chimed in a time or two.

I just wanted to take a minute to thank each and everyone of you who have helped him through this journey alone, be it with helpful hints, words of encouragement or just knowing how tough things are.  It has restored my faith in mankind despite the situation in these troubling times worldwide.  Cruise people are caring people and I'm honored to be part of this group. Keep up the good work people and I know we will all be there for any others who have similar circumstances.  God Bless you.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

27 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I agree with you.  I think the view will be fine given the circumstances.  I know people like to run all over the ship to get the best view.  I do not enjoy being around hundreds of people (even pre covid) so I was never one that had to be in the “best” place such as the bow although I have been there.  I remember one time someone telling me I shouldn’t talk because her husband was recording the transit 🙄.  I’m much happier being in my cabana or balcony.  I understand that the op can’t go on the bow or in a cabana.

That’s great news!  It is literally the only day I am looking forward to!  And I wish I could quarantine in a cabana the whole cruise. I’d take that!  Rain or shine, heat and humidity!  

Today has been passing pretty quickly.  I worked with my dumbbells for a while, did a crossword, and have been torturing my friends and family for hours on FaceTime.  I also wrote a very lengthy email to HA Corporate Guest Relations with suggestions about the isolation experience, and opinions on 100% FCC being somewhat inadequate for this type of situation…when a cruise is cancelled 125% is often offered…and it is debatable but I think my situation is worse than a cancelled voyage.  It is a little laughable to think that someone held in isolation for 10 days onboard would jump to book another cruise by the end of this year with their FCC…but who knows?  We will see if anything comes of it.

I also got another call from the nurse today to check my temperature (still normal, still asymptomatic).  Turns out she is on her last day of 10 days of quarantine!  She is so excited to be released tonight at 8 PM.  Luckily they gave her a balcony cabin as well.

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

91479901_SnowDay.thumb.JPG.9c4ac23d628baee7dee2978a84965881.JPG

Today, I would gladly change places with you from my self-imposed quarantine. It's 25 degrees.

You may find this blog interesting. This man was one of the passengers that was quarantined from the Diamond Princess back when covid started. I admired his attitude.

https://www.hometownstation.com/home-town-station/carl-goldman-coronavirus-journals-316093

Ok I’m not a fan of the cold, but I’d do naked snow angels out there right now if it meant I could move around more!

Just received lunch!  Roasted chicken and 2 glasses of Mimi Chardonnay served in an elegant cardboard container!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Today has been passing pretty quickly.  I worked with my dumbbells for a while, did a crossword, and have been torturing my friends and family for hours on FaceTime.  I also wrote a very lengthy email to HA Corporate Guest Relations with suggestions about the isolation experience, and opinions on 100% FCC being somewhat inadequate for this type of situation…when a cruise is cancelled 125% is often offered…and it is debatable but I think my situation is worse than a cancelled voyage.  It is a little laughable to think that someone held in isolation for 10 days onboard would jump to book another cruise by the end of this year with their FCC…but who knows?  We will see if anything comes of it.

I'm glad you have contacted HAL about the conditions and the restitution. I think if they are going to sail while Covid is rampant, with Omicron or whatever variant comes next, they need to work on ways to make QT/isolation more agreeable and pleasant.  They should be bending over backwards to ensure your experience is the best that it can be. If they don't, more passengers will just decide to hide their illness, if sick, and the only way to identify any passengers who are asymptomatic will be by increased testing. 

10 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Ok I’m not a fan of the cold, but I’d do naked snow angels out there right now if it meant I could move around more!

Ok, that's a mental picture maybe I shouldn't be having! ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

39 minutes ago, nagsheadbeachbum said:

I have been following along on the OP's trials and tribulations during quarantine and have chimed in a time or two.

I just wanted to take a minute to thank each and everyone of you who have helped him through this journey alone, be it with helpful hints, words of encouragement or just knowing how tough things are.  It has restored my faith in mankind despite the situation in these troubling times worldwide.  Cruise people are caring people and I'm honored to be part of this group. Keep up the good work people and I know we will all be there for any others who have similar circumstances.  God Bless you.

Such a nice statement to make.  Everyone has been so kind and supportive on this thread and I’m really glad I decided to post.  Thank you all for the well wishes.  I hope the information I’ve provided has been helpful.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Today has been passing pretty quickly.  I worked with my dumbbells for a while, did a crossword, and have been torturing my friends and family for hours on FaceTime.  

Glad time is passing quickly for you.  I have a question about your ability to FaceTime.  Are you doing that through the ship Wifi only?  and if so has the ship's Wifi been strong enough for you to do this  for your whole voyage?   

I am thankful that you have an electronic contection to the world.  We have been on so many sailings preCovid where the ships Wifi hardly worked at all for hours at a time.

I don't know if the ship would have access to add a yoga, tai chi or stretching video series to its onboard offerings on the TV.  A follow along exercise video would be good to help pass the time and give people a mood boost while they are in isolation in their cabins. 

Continued good vibes being sent your way.   

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, travelbug615 said:

Glad time is passing quickly for you.  I have a question about your ability to FaceTime.  Are you doing that through the ship Wifi only?  and if so has the ship's Wifi been strong enough for you to do this  for your whole voyage?   

I am thankful that you have an electronic contection to the world.  We have been on so many sailings preCovid where the ships Wifi hardly worked at all for hours at a time.

I don't know if the ship would have access to add a yoga, tai chi or stretching video series to its onboard offerings on the TV.  A follow along exercise video would be good to help pass the time and give people a mood boost while they are in isolation in their cabins. 

Continued good vibes being sent your way.   

Yes I think because the ship is about half capacity, the WiFi has been better than in any ship I’ve experienced.  Exercise videos would be a great idea but I have apple fitness plus in my iPad and that has helped!

ED4CDCCC-9658-44E5-8E27-49EBC7D34AC3.thumb.jpeg.72c3c9958dea4f8ce7ab39c884f966e2.jpegI don’t know why my toes keep making an appearance but if you are ever stuck in ship isolation, this book isn’t half bad for a thriller to keep you occupied for 2 days!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5