Zuiderdam Quarantine

NMCruiser123

I’m sorry to hear about your quarantine. Being by myself cooped up in a small space  would drive me batty, too. Hopefully you remain asymptomatic.  

Do you have access to movies?  That would help some. And please come visit us whenever you need some virtual company.

Thank goodness you have a balcony. I was reading another quarantined passenger’s story, and they wanted to put her in an inside cabin. The ship’s doctor advocated for her to be moved to an outside cabin as she has panic issues. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That is a good idea but would require data package and knowing other pax contact details.  My suggestion was based on just using the stateroom telephone and call the room next door and next door but one etc.   I know, old fashioned, but it could be fun and pass a bit of time!

I agree that the stateroom phone is -- by far -- the best first step to establish who is quarantined. If a group system of communication follows it's a useful addition, not a substitute. And far easier to manage for collective communications, albeit limited to those with online access.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

This whole post scares me. I am doing a 35 day cruise in February. What if I tested positive on that cruise with no symptoms. Would I have to quarantine for the rest of the cruise or just 10 days? I would love to know the answer to that one. 😳 I would be bummed out if I had to quarantine for a month.

Exactly! We are on that cruise with you. Reading this thread is the first time I have had qualms about our cruise. I,too, would love to know the answer to quarantine length. 

• Like 3

I just met my nearest quarantine neighbor on the next balcony.  It was very uplifting to be able to talk to someone face to face!  He seems to be taking the experience in much better stride than I am…but we are both great full that we aren’t feeling unwell.

10 days is the max you would have to quarantine if you test positive on a cruise, even if the cruise was longer.

I managed to do some exercise in my cabin and was able to FaceTime with my partner back home for about an hour this morning…so thankful that the wifi is working well on this voyage!  There are lots of movies to watch but I’m trying to make the most of my balcony while it is in the shade during the daytime.  I’m trying to decide if I want to drink myself through this experience or try to approach it as a healthy isolation retreat.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

@NMCruiser123 I’m a bit surprised they wouldn’t have some sort of quarantine packet of information, as this is no doubt a stressful situation. Here’s what their website has regarding their responsibilities to passengers who test positive, under “On Board”: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/COVID-19-protection-program.html

On Board:

1. FCC worth 100% of the per-day cruise fare for the missed days and a refundable credit to their onboard account for missed pre-paid onboard experiences and shore excursions purchased through cruise line, and for the refundable portion of taxes, fees, and port expenses for ports visited after disembarkation.
  2. Onboard COVID-related medical center visits and testing of suspected COVID-19 cases will be free of charge.”

There’s additional Shoreside and General information in the link, as well.

Know that we all care and are wishing you the best!

EDIT: @iflyrc5your post wasn’t there when I started composing, sorry for the double info:>)

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

10 days is the max you would have to quarantine if you test positive on a cruise, even if the cruise was longer.

Thank you!!!!!! Since our cruise is 35 days on the Zuiderdam, your answer is most helpful! 

So sorry you are having to deal with quarantine. Glad you got to talk to a neighbor. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

I just met my nearest quarantine neighbor on the next balcony.  It was very uplifting to be able to talk to someone face to face!  He seems to be taking the experience in much better stride than I am…but we are both great full that we aren’t feeling unwell.

I managed to do some exercise in my cabin and was able to FaceTime with my partner back home for about an hour this morning…so thankful that the wifi is working well on this voyage!  There are lots of movies to watch but I’m trying to make the most of my balcony while it is in the shade during the daytime.  I’m trying to decide if I want to drink myself through this experience or try to approach it as a healthy isolation retreat.

I am glad you met your balcony neighbour!  Always good to have more support.  Also that you managed to FaceTime your partner-fantastic.  

It is my worry about being in quarantine-I’m glad people at least have a balcony.  From reading that other thread about quarantine I’ll make sure I bring a big sudoku book as I love doing those and can pass hours doing them.  

Chin up!  There’s lots of support just on CC when you are bored or down or just need to chat.  

Enjoy your balcony.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. 

I lean towards being a “glass is half full” person, so happy to hear you have met your neighbor. And at least it is a Panama Canal cruise and not a Trans Atlantic. Hope the trip through the cCanal gives you something amazing to keep you occupied. 

• Like 6

If any of you on the ship currently want to wave hello as your are walking by on the pier today just look up at the deck 6 forward verandas for a lonely guy with blonde hair on his balcony!  I’m watching all of you walking off the ship with such envy!  Thank you for all the support from everyone in this community, it means a lot.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Too bad we don't yet have accurate and definitive tests, since this metric has created such arbitrary tyranny. But it is what it is.  Cold comfort knowing Elon Musk took four covid tests on the same day last year with the same lab and got back two positives and two negatives. We have not improved much since then.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dchip said:

Thank you!!!!!! Since our cruise is 35 days on the Zuiderdam, your answer is most helpful! 

So sorry you are having to deal with quarantine. Glad you got to talk to a neighbor. 

Yes, thank you!

Just now, dmcfad2 said:

@NMCruiser123I have another question. What if, after 10 days quarantine, you still test positive for Covid? Does your 10 day quarantine period start over? 

I am not sure that can happen if you have no symptoms but am not sure.  We are on the same cruise as you and will lower bottles of wine to your cabin if you go into quarantine 😜.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I

Just now, KirkNC said:

I am not sure that can happen if you have no symptoms but am not sure.  We are on the same cruise as you and will lower bottles of wine to your cabin if you go into quarantine 😜.

I’m probably over thinking this. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Since I'm on the same sailing, please put me on your delivery list ! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hang in there and take good care of yourself....  you can do this!

I'd like to address the issue of alcohol delivery to quarantined passengers.  We ALWAYS sail with HIA....  mainly for the beverage package.  We also usually upgrade the package once onboard.  I realize that drinks are not included via room service to eliminate sharing and underage drinking. However, neither of these would apply in (most) quarantine situations, and a beverage package should be honored via delivery! I can't imagine having dinner without several glasses of wine!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Is that a promise??? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@NMCruiser123 I would just like to add my voice to encourage you. Maybe a daily conversation with a bunch of people you don't know but share an infinity for cruising with, wasn't what you wanted to do on your vacation. But we all have a vested interest in your well-being and your experiences. We will be here to interact with you for the duration and because we span lots of time zones, I'm hoping someone will be around to respond quicky.

Hopefully, you will receive more helpful and cheerful posts, than not.

There are a few of us following your thread because we will be spending 35 nights on the Zuiderdam traveling to Hawaii, Tahiti and the Marquesas. We are hopeful that you will be well taken care of and we will be waiting for any bit of information you would like to share, both positive and negative.

You might be alone, but I hope CC can help you not feel so lonely. Stay well!

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 10

I just got word that alcoholic beverages are included while in quarantine!  Small victories.

After 10 days I don’t believe you would be retested unless symptomatic or required by another circumstance.  I think you would just be released.

If you are sick beyond the ship’s capabilities to treat you, you would be disembarked or medical evacuated.  I wonder if this applies to mental breakdowns?  That could be my way off…

The hotel manager just called and confirmed the FCC for all the days I am in quarantine, if I want a full refund I will have to pursue that with the insurance company.

I asked about disembarking early…Mexico (and I assume most countries) will not allow disembarkation of anyone with COVID unless medically indicated, but they are checking with the other ports just to see.  I won’t bother thinking of the logistics of that unless I hear that it is possible.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1