NCL no longer offering onboard PCR testing for return flight to Canada

Renews

Just noticed on Sail Safe portion of NCL website that as of January 8, 2022, NCL will no longer offer on board PCR tests for passengers requiring them for return flight to home country. When we booked this cruise, PCR testing was available for passengers requiring it for a return flight. We disembark in San Juan (Feb. 6th) and have a flight back to Canada at 3:30pm on the same day (booked by Norwegian). Without the negative PCR test, we will be denied boarding at the airport. Looking for suggestions -have called NCL but they did not offer any solution.  All PCR tests that I have found in San Juan require a minimum of 48 hours to get results. Help!

Update: Sail Safe was just amended to say that those who require PCR tests  for a return flight will be able to get them at the terminal upon disembarkation (at US ports) for approximately $95. Results will be available electronically in approximately 90 minutes. 

• Like 4

We were to go on Breakaway 2022.1.9 sailing (was to fly to NOLA today).  We were told by NCL agent we'll get the required PCR test onboard.  We canceled.

If we had gone, we would've have to fork out US$400 extra that was unanticipated.

Careful what NCL agents may tell you on the phone.

I wouldn't trust what they tell you on the phone from what is on the ship. There three things I was assured of on the phone only to get on the ship to feel like it was a bait and switch. Don't want to go into details. What I will say is there is a corporate communication issue between the land and ship staff. Just got of the Bliss a while we overall had a good time, we had some type of unanticipated headache daily.

This may be a deal breaker for my trip as well.  I have a screen shot of the Sail Safe mentioning they would do the required PCR test for us Canadians as it is required to get home.

The cost is one thing, but we are required to upload the Negative result to the ArriveCan app ahead of checking in for the flight....  

I wish they would offer this on the Ship ( even at the cost of $95....)

Most likely they try to avoid knowing of dozens of positives on board, rather wanting pax to do the test at port where it is not NCL’s problem anymore. Test + at ship -> NCL needs to arrange for quarantine etc. Test + at port 5min after leaving the ship -> you are on your own, no liability for NCL 😏

• Like 1

We had to chase them onboard during our Getaway cruise over Xmas out of Miami.  When we booked they specifically said as part of the booking that PCR was included for return home (to Canada); however, when i inquired onboard you'd think I had three heads the way the crew at guest services looked at me.  After a lot of chasing, we finally got the testing onboard confirmed despite already knowing what was supposed to be in place so its no surprise they're now dropping this as it seemed they were pretty clueless and not the least bit interested.

10 hours ago, Blueberry89 said:

You can also purchase a PCR kit to take with you so you can self test. Air Canada sells them for $150

How can that work for a quick result? PCR tests are lab tests so any self test needs to be posted/delivered to a lab for processing.

26 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

How can that work for a quick result? PCR tests are lab tests so any self test needs to be posted/delivered to a lab for processing.

'Quick' is a relative term, but the test in question is an RT-LAMP test which is a type of molecular test accepted for return to Canada and the results come through much like a rapid antigen test whereby the test is conducted individually under observation by a medical practitioner on a webcam.  Once the result comes through, you scan the QR code on the test and the data is uploaded to the test provider who in turn processes the results for travel.

Edited by Captain_Morgan

10 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

'Quick' is a relative term, but the test in question is an RT-LAMP test which is a type of molecular test accepted for return to Canada and the results come through much like a rapid antigen test whereby the test is conducted individually under observation by a medical practitioner on a webcam.  Once the result comes through, you scan the QR code on the test and the data is uploaded to the test provider who in turn processes the results for travel.

Thanks, I see now, not a PCR test then.

Celebrity and Royal have also abandoned this as well. Frustrating as those of us who booked while the policy was in place didn't have to account for where to get this done or the expense. 

We are a family of 6 supposed to cruise over March Break with Royal (using FCC from our cancelled March 2020 cruise) and are now looking at having to shell out "starting at $210 USD" per person at the pier or trying to find a testing site that can do a rapid PCR test on our own. Sounds like a fun and stress-free way to end a trip. 

Pretty frustrating situation to be left in. 

Wondering though if Omicron might make these companies re-consider? 

Edited by JillK

12 minutes ago, JillK said:

Celebrity and Royal have also abandoned this as well. Frustrating as those of us who booked while the policy was in place didn't have to account for where to get this done or the expense. 

We are a family of 6 supposed to cruise over March Break with Royal (using FCC from our cancelled March 2020 cruise) and are now looking at having to shell out "starting at $210 USD" per person at the pier or trying to find a testing site that can do a rapid PCR test on our own. Sounds like a fun and stress-free way to end a trip. 

Pretty frustrating situation to be left in. 

Wondering though if Omicron might make these companies re-consider? 

I wouldn't count on it .  We also booked cruises when the policy was in effect, and we are Canadian, so not happy either ;(

25 minutes ago, Bronx12 said:

I wouldn't count on it .  We also booked cruises when the policy was in effect, and we are Canadian, so not happy either ;(

Agreed. At least Celebrity and NCL seem to be offering the testing at $95 usd which is significantly more reasonable than what we're facing. Here we go again!

5 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Most likely they try to avoid knowing of dozens of positives on board, rather wanting pax to do the test at port where it is not NCL’s problem anymore. Test + at ship -> NCL needs to arrange for quarantine etc. Test + at port 5min after leaving the ship -> you are on your own, no liability for NCL 😏

This.

NCL changing the timing and offloading the cost of the PCR test till after people get off the ship, is NCL offloading the responsibility of people testing positive to themselves.  It's no longer NCL's responsibility.

• Like 1

Just a correction, there is no section to upload your pcr test in the ArriveCan app, the app asks if you have a negative test only. You show a print out or a copy of it when checking in for your flight at the counter. CBSA might also ask you to see your negative test when you land back in Canada.

26 minutes ago, Blueberry89 said:

But acceptable for return to Canada. 

I understand Costco sells them as well.

I didn't say it wasn't, I just questions how a PCR test can be carried out quickly at home which is what was suggested 👍.

For those with time post cruise, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid all offer free NAAT tests which are accepted molecular tests to get back into Canada with.  Of course it requires some pre-planning and waiting for results but if you don't want to spend $200 pp for a test, there are free alternatives bearing in mind costs coming elsewhere.

Sadly, the cost of travel just seems to be going in one direction and its not in the favor of the traveler

28 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

For those with time post cruise, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid all offer free NAAT tests which are accepted molecular tests to get back into Canada with.  Of course it requires some pre-planning and waiting for results but if you don't want to spend $200 pp for a test, there are free alternatives bearing in mind costs coming elsewhere.

Sadly, the cost of travel just seems to be going in one direction and its not in the favor of the traveler

When we got off Getaway on Dec. 22, we went to get PCR tests at Walgreen, 3pm.  On Dec. 24, at 5pm, the results didn't come back.  We had to go pay US$175/p to get rapid PCR test at the Miami airport, for our 8:35pm flight back to Toronto.

In recent days, all the Covid test appointments are booked up many days out.  Sometimes if you check as soon as the appointments open up (a week out), you may be able to book.  But for PCR tests, don't expect them to come back within 2 days.