Are there any stats about where the positive COVID cases on ships are coming from?

jacob22

Just for fun I went over to the CDC reading room (online electronic version, not physical room) and took a look at FOIA requests and the responses generated.  For example FOIA request 21-00115 was a request for correspondence between the CDC and Carnival.  In reading through the response it gives some interesting insight as to what was going on in the early days of the pandemic when they were trying to get ships in and passengers offloaded.

Edited by nocl

4 hours ago, canderson said:

At this point in time, if the statistics you originally asked about have even been compiled, only a FOIA to the CDC, which they may reply will take years to produce, will be the way to see them.

We will see I just filed an FOIA request with the CDC asking for number of covid cases identified on each ship in US waters from Dec 5 until Jan 9.  With the information to be provided by ship by week or in any other format that allows one to determine the same information.

Lets see what I get in the next 20 days.

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity requires five years and older need to be vaccinated. Under five only need to have a negative test in order to cruise. 

It's absolute nonsense to single out that group as a driver of covid cases on cruise ships.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, nocl said:

We will see I just filed an FOIA request with the CDC asking for number of covid cases identified on each ship in US waters from Dec 5 until Jan 9.  With the information to be provided by ship by week or in any other format that allows one to determine the same information.

Lets see what I get in the next 20 days.

Several members of Congress have requested exactly the same information.  Can you think of and reason for that data to be withheld?  Seems likely the numbers are made public in the next week.  

The piece of data I would be very interest is the number of passenger diagnosed with Covid listed by cruise day.  Are most infected diagnosed in earlier days of a cruise - thus suggesting they were infected before they boarded?   Hmmmm

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

Several members of Congress have requested exactly the same information.  Can you think of and reason for that data to be withheld?  Seems likely the numbers are made public in the next week.  

The piece of data I would be very interest is the number of passenger diagnosed with Covid listed by cruise day.  Are most infected diagnosed in earlier days of a cruise - thus suggesting they were infected before they boarded?   Hmmmm

I just asked for by ship by week.  Comparing between lines.

Who exactly asked for that data? have not seen any reports.

Based on the data that was in 21-00115 should not be any problem supplying the data.

A different request had the e-mails that included those going back and forth about trying to test the Passengers of the Royal Princess before letting them off on March 7..  I was actually on that cruise and was off of the ship, before they stopped passengers from leaving.

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

No, just the message. That group is already included in the entire list that OP presented, except for #3 regarding the crew.

IMO, everyone should be vaccinated in order to board the ship, no matter their age, medical condition(s) or excuse(s). Then possibly there wouldn't be a need for all the increased protocols and especially having to mask up while inside.  

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

IMO, everyone should be vaccinated in order to board the ship, no matter their age, medical condition(s) or excuse(s). Then possibly there wouldn't be a need for all the increased protocols and especially having to mask up while inside.  

disagree in  that vaccines would result in not requiring masks..  With Omicron the vaccine efficacy is low enough that if the virus has a R0 of 10 in an unvaccinated population requiring everyone to be vaccinated would only lower the R0 to 6.  vaccinated and boosted would lower the R0 to 3 for a couple of months.  So figure those to be the boundary lines and the real number somewhere in between.  If you add masks then you would get further reduction of R0  that would set the limits between an R0 of 1.5 and an RO of 4.5.  Notice that both are above one and would indicate growing spread even with vaccination, boosters and masks,  but a lot better than without any one of the 3. 

At this time we are kind of sailing with 2.5 of the three with many boosted but boosters not required. 

While having those requirements does not guarantee any one person will not get infected, it will result in an overall lower number of infected.

Couple that with the limited cruise lengths, testing, quarantining crew on quarantine ships and you get a manageable situation even if it is not an ideal situation.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

It doesn't matter.  How would that make a difference?  The problems it takes a number of days after a person is infected to test positive for viruses.  There also were cases on board all 92 cruises from 12/15.  Some of those had all on board vaccinated.  As was done with crew this last summer, you would need to quarantine everyone before a cruise

• Like 1

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

It doesn't matter.  How would that make a difference?  The problems it takes a number of days after a person is infected to test positive for viruses.  There also were cases on board all 92 cruises from 12/15.  Some of those had all on board vaccinated.  As was done with crew this last summer, you would need to quarantine everyone before a cruise

It matters to me (us). That's all I'm saying. Possibly... 

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

OP asked for stats, not your agenda. Check the NCL board and let us know how 100% vaccinated is doing re: the need for increased protocols. Open your eyes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

OP asked for stats, not your agenda. Check the NCL board and let us know how 100% vaccinated is doing re: the need for increased protocols. Open your eyes.

Use the report option. Not my agenda, my opinion. Heed your own advise. 

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

But no response from you re NCL vaccine requirements and protocols. Shocking.

I'm only interested in RCs and Celebrity's requirements and protocols.

BTW I do remember you posting on another thread the only reason you wouldn't sail with the unvaccinated is because you would be required to wear a mask. Sound familiar, #37. 

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity requires five years and older need to be vaccinated. Under five only need to have a negative test in order to cruise. 

So this is your answer....it must be the babies!  So short sighted. Omicron is highly infectious and infecting many fully vaccinated, just with less danger of dying. The incubation period before testing positive is such that anyone, even those tested two days prior to boarding, can be infected and consequently infectious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

So this is your answer....it must be the babies!  So short sighted. Omicron is highly infectious and infecting many fully vaccinated, just with less danger of dying. The incubation period before testing positive is such that anyone, even those tested two days prior to boarding, can be infected and consequently infectious.

Once again don't shoot the messenger! Go back and reread post #29. Just answering that posters question by posting Celebrity's current policy for who needs to be vaccinated in order to board their ships. 

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'm only interested in RCs and Celebrity's requirements and protocols.

BTW I do remember you posting on another thread the only reason you wouldn't sail with the unvaccinated is because you would be required to wear a mask. Sound familiar, #37. 

Because NCL's lack of success with their 100% vax requirement doesn't support your agenda. We all see it. It's blatantly obvious.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread that I think you're referring to: "I'm not any safer in a room full of vaccinated (and boosted) individuals than I would be in a room filled with unvaccinated individuals... The only reason I wouldn't have sailed with unvaxxed was because of the increased protocols and mask wearing."

I understand you want to deflect now and paint me as anti- mask, which isn't true. When given the choice, I'd rather cruise without one than with one, nothing more nothing less. That's not anti-mask. My point was that unvaccinated are not the danger that people like you, with your militant agenda, paint them to be.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacob22 said:

The incubation period is omicron is closer to 3-5 days. Are people who are about to cruise avoid public places, events and wear masks when going our the week prior to cruising?

I’m 2 weeks out and have already started reducing contacts

• Like 1