cell phone service on board Carnival

downt

If you have AT&T, They have Cell Service on (many/most) cruise ships for $100/Month with unlimited talk & text (& Limited data). They also have $50 for like 100 minutes. Pay per use is like $3 per minute. 

Note: Many Carribbean islands also included. Not usable while in other ports - so then you need separate service from land based services. 

Make sure you verify your particular ship has coverage - Most Carnivals ships do. 

---

You can also use WiFi calling if you have internet service - but the Cell service seems to have better service/consistent connection. However - the WiFi approach is also usable while in port (but only while on the ship).

---

Remember - all services go via Satellites - so there is about a 1 second delay when talking - just something to get used to.

Edited by RGEDad

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Enable WiFi Calling before the cruise and purchase an onboard Internet package. You'll be able to call/text as you normally do without any additional roaming charges -- just enable airplane mode.

Have you tried this recently?  I tried wifi calling on Magic in September and on Pride  December and it didn't work (for me at least).

6 minutes ago, groundloop said:

You do realize that we're in the Carnival section, right?  I'm making an educated guess that Carnival does things differently than Princess. 

I'm aware. Both cruise lines use similar network technologies and I haven't had an issue when sailing on Carnival, Royal or Princess.

Edited by xDisconnections

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I'm aware. Both cruise lines use similar network technologies and I haven't had an issue when sailing on Carnival, Royal or Princess.

Hmmm.... ok.  I know that I couldn't use wifi calling onboard (it works just fine elsewhere), and don't recall hearing from anyone who has had success with it on a Carnival ship recently.

You should contact your carrier for the best information and actual facts, but cellular at sea is VERY costly.

I use Wi-Fi calling all the time on various ships and lines and as long as I have a good internet connection, I don't have an issue.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Enable WiFi Calling before the cruise and purchase an onboard Internet package. You'll be able to call/text as you normally do without any additional roaming charges -- just enable airplane mode.

Sorry, this is a very chancy proposition.  

I tried this on two Carnival cruises (post- and pre-COVID) and it seemed as if Carnival port-blocks Wi-Fi calling.  The call would start, but then immediately fail and drop.   

I have used it quite successfully on Royal ships, so it's not a matter of phone or device compatibility.  It simply would not work on Carnival.  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

Sorry, this is a very chancy proposition.  

I tried this on two Carnival cruises (post- and pre-COVID) and it seemed as if Carnival port-blocks Wi-Fi calling.  The call would start, but then immediately fail and drop.   

I have used it quite successfully on Royal ships, so it's not a matter of phone or device compatibility.  It simply would not work on Carnival.  

That's exactly my experience with wifi calling on Carnival ships.

I've had success with WiFi calling on the the Vista and Horizon this year (2021). That was with the highest wifi plan. The connection was so-so and I there was some need to repeat myself or have the caller repeat themselves. I know that those two ships supposedly have better internet than the others so that might be the difference maker, I was using an iPhone Xs. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, downt said:

just noticed your signature... a 28 day cruise?!  sounds heavely

It was wonderful - Would love to re-do - unfortunately Bora Bora is now restricting cruise to only little ships - so may not be able to repeat...ever. 

But two long cruises booked over the next year including New Zealand/Australia through the islands and over to the US (IF New Zealand and Australia actually open back up that is)

What I've been able to do personally is remain sufficiently 'in touch' via email on sea days and then use my phone internationally while in (or near) port.  That's worked well enough in my modest consulting practice.  That said, I certainly don't require continuous voice availability.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:03 AM, xDisconnections said:

Used it on Princess last week. Last month on Carnival internet guy said it would not work. Didn't try so I don't know for sure

I know the OP was asking specifically about Wi-Fi calling, but I will observe that voice calls using Facebook Messenger worked fine on my last two cruises with the "Value" (i.e., mid-tier) internet plan.  Video calling didn't work well, but I wasn't really expecting it to.  

I asked about this after my Magic trip last November. Pre covid I had no problem buying ship's wifi and doing wifi calling. Now they block it for some reason,. Been on two cruises last November and it did not work. Was on two RCCL cruises last October and wifi calling did work. Don't know what they are doing. Guest services said you can try the whats app but I did not have that set up.