Cunard under Carnival ownership

RICHARD@SEA

7 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Not all corporations are for profit(charitable enterprises) but certainly Carnival brought a new meaning to "profitability".  The larger ships, smaller staff ratios  - basically floating malls at sea have brought great profit margins to Carnivore.  Why have a promenade deck when you can throw in a  few extra cabins...do away w/ the aft pool for more cabins...certainly the beauty  of the sea has been sacrificed.

I'm quite sure the people at Carnival like promenade decks themselves. Then they looked at their Excel sheets, their clientele, and ordered the extra cabins. Now I've reached the point where I should say that you are free to start a new company doing a better job, but there is no need to.  

7 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Certainly anyone can see the demise of the luxury product of an ocean voyage.

Rest assured, there are enough ships left  that have more crew than passengers. But don't expect to pay Carnival prices, expect what you'd pay in 1980, and add inflation.

We're seeing that enjoying a cruise is now available for far more people than it used to be, just like flying or owning a car used to be a dream for many. There can't be enough companies like Carnival IMHO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

I'd love a time machine and book R.M.S. FRANCONIA to the Med from N.Y. c. 1912.  But mine has never worked alas.  We take what we are given. 

So you'd be OK with no air con, a chamber pot and bath down the corridor - which presumably the steward would at least run for you? I  like ensuites myself... 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

Nothing, alas, stays the same.  Why I remember Krug (vintage, too) served aloft on British Airways in First Class and they polished your shoes, too, and fluffed the seat cushions and crossed the seat belts when you left your seat.  

That would be my  parent's era (late 50s?)  - they flew once to NZ/UK  - but otherwise took a ship. Not being wealthy they couldn't afford the  cost of flying.  We spent 6 weeks on a ship (Southern Cross)  in 1970 returning to NZ -  there were no standards on that ship - my mother and 2 small chidren travelling in a single non-ensuite cabin.  Kids weren't allowed to eat in the main dining room - so she had to lock us in the cabin while she went to dinner.  One pool - at the bottom of the ship - but I wasn't allowed in because  I couldn't swim. It was horrible experience for all involved -  and put me off cruising for most of my life. 

So there were always low standards - even Titanic - the vast majority of cabins weren't ensuite. The QE2 didn't have air con and again some cabins weren't ensuite . 

I think what is missed from these types of discussions is that yes by your definitions standards have slipped - but only because  prices  have dropped substantially too. If you want a fair comparison you really should compare to regent 7 seas or one of the other boutique cruise lines.  

• Like 3

On 1/7/2022 at 8:54 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Cunard is now part of the Carnivore Corpration - a for profit business... they can only go so far before all their marketing / sales efforts go down the drain & customers turn away from their product. But certainly customers cannot expect the same treatment that pre Carnivore / Cunard gave before.

It will be interesting to see what type of bonuses the Carnivore management receives for the 2021 year......

I don't understand the point of this post.  This is not news.  Cunard has been part of Carnival Corp. for years and years.  And is RCL any better?  What about Norwegian?  Just big corporations, lower your expectations.

• Like 1

The most famous luxury train ride in the world (Orient Express) only has 6 en suite cabins on the entire train. All grand suites and all currently charging a mere £8,240 per night per double cabin for the luxury of ensuite

The rest of the passengers have to share a toilet and shower at the end of each carriage - £5,800 per cabin

Its hard to justify the prices but of course people are paying for history and service and the whole experience

Not sure if they get air conditioning or not?

There's no cinema, theatre or ice rink on board though for sure 

But I bet they still get nightly turndown !

lol

Orient Express is on our bucket list to do despite the cost

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

You'll be disappointed, as there are no showers, just a basin in your room, but there is heating but no A/C.

We did it both ways. In hindsight, one way might have been enough as there's not a lot to do, apart from having a few (expensive) drinks at the bar.

Edited by BigMac1953

Long ago memories of cruising.  In the early 70s we cruised on Orcades and Northern Star.  The cabins were very small, with a small port hole if you were lucky, bunk beds, a very small washbasin, and with toilets and showers down the corridor.  Virtually nothing in the way of entertainment but the umpteen course meals went on forever with amazing choices.  On Orcades a trio played in the bar in the way of entertainment.  One of the officer’s wives was a cabaret singer, well known in Australia but not to us.  She sang voluntarily each evening which was most welcome.

Who’d have thought cruising would catch on?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Long ago memories of cruising.  In the early 70s we cruised on Orcades and Northern Star.  The cabins were very small, with a small port hole if you were lucky, bunk beds, a very small washbasin, and with toilets and showers down the corridor.  Virtually nothing in the way of entertainment but the umpteen course meals went on forever with amazing choices.  On Orcades a trio played in the bar in the way of entertainment.  One of the officer’s wives was a cabaret singer, well known in Australia but not to us.  She sang voluntarily each evening which was most welcome.

Who’d have thought cruising would catch on?

How many wives did the officer have?

Only joking! 

I guess back then what you were doing was far more exclusive and felt very special

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Such a nice trip down memory lane reading this thread.

My father was a Navy man in WWII, and loved the water and ships.  

I took my first cruise as a child in 1973, and was enchanted forever.  I have now been on many different cruise lines in all parts of the world, but Cunard will always have a special place in my heart due to its more traditional and formal approach.

I have a Cunard cruise booked for this July, and I am keeping my fingers crossed everything will go well.

My bucket list for travel is also long, and I look forward to catching up soon!