weather experience trans atlantic.

Hawaiidan

13 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yup....after a while ports all seem a blur of pretty much the same thing.   AND  when you might have visited them before , it all , to  me , gets lost in a mundane  repetition of sorts  .   Some I guess like that.  There is comfort , like an old shoe of familiarity.    Not exciting  but comfortable fit, a visit without risk and no  surprises.. a safe  adventure.   Nor risk.

Whereas, being at sea is a magical detachment from the land and all the stress, problems  it holds.    Sea  days are "FREE" days...    The day is unknown  and open to what YOU make of it.

Interesting post.  Would agree with a lot of it.  With us on a T/A the ship is our ports and we love to be on it.   The O ships have much to do at sea and an occasional port stop makes it just better. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

I am going to put in our vote  for a TA from west to east.  It seems that the overnight flight across the pond kicks our tails a little harder with every passing year.  We love gliding across the time zones and gracefully endure the "cramped" meal times.  That's our personal preference.  

No charge and your welcome!

Katie

a mitigating factor in overnight flights  is " Business Class/Polaris Class  in your own mini suite with a lie flat bed and  good food and wine.....   The New 787's  have  unique - higher cabin pressures resulting more  restful  comfort  and awoids the  dehydration of the older 767. 777 747's    Save them CC miles  for the one way! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

a mitigating factor in overnight flights  is " Business Class/Polaris Class  in your own mini suite with a lie flat bed and  good food and wine.....   The New 787's  have  unique - higher cabin pressures resulting more  restful  comfort  and awoids the  dehydration of the older 767. 777 747's    Save them CC miles  for the one way! 

Great if you can get one.  Hard from MIA without having to make a change.  Rather take a non stop on one of the older planes as long as it is in business. 

13 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

I am going to put in our vote  for a TA from west to east.  It seems that the overnight flight across the pond kicks our tails a little harder with every passing year.  We love gliding across the time zones and gracefully endure the "cramped" meal times.  That's our personal preference.  

No charge and your welcome!

Katie

Of course you also have to come back on that flight eventually. But, many of the east to west are not overnight. I personally prefer doing that long flight on the front end of my vacation when we're all excited about going. It's all fun though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Great if you can get one.  Hard from MIA without having to make a change.  Rather take a non stop on one of the older planes as long as it is in business. 

After 2, 787 long haul...  ( SYD-LAX 15 hr)  and VIE-LAX  11.5 hours)   I experienced zero typical jet lag cabin dryness and discomfort.. Felt great in fact..     Being in the desert  I have to catch one  with a  min hop to LAX, SFO, DIA.    I agree  beyond a certain age Business class  is a necessity  for anything over 5 hours.     I agree with ORV that flying east to west is physically easier than west to east.       Thanks to all for you input....   I booked a east to west today on Marina.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, beardedshark said:

We are on riviera in March, Miami to Lisbon. Any ideas what temperatures we should expect?

85F on departure,  lowering to 62-63 F on arrival   according to records.   Figure  it will get about 1.5 to 2F  cooler each day.

19 hours ago, beardedshark said:

We are on riviera in March, Miami to Lisbon. Any ideas what temperatures we should expect?

We're on the same voyage. To get some idea of what to expect, I've checked the weather reports for places on or near the route: Miami, Bermuda, Ponta Delgada, and Lisbon. Keeping in mind that temperatures on open water will not match those on land, you should get a reasonably approximate estimate. The estimate Hawaiidan gave is as good as I've come up with.

There are Web sites that will track the wind patterns and wave heights across the Atlantic, but I have found that they rarely include temperature.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:12 PM, PhD-iva said:

First time I’ve heard it described like that! That resonates w me! I have a reservation on Sirena in March 2023 Aruba to Lisbon. We’ll see whether I prefer West/East or East/West!

Psychologically and physiologically  East to west is the least impactive on your body.....+ you end up with 8 more hours on the cruise...    Going west to east you loose 8 hours.         I do not mind the west to east flights now that they have the 787  and great lie-flat  mini suites.     ( hey  after flying several million miles I still enjoy the thrill of being transported to some far off exciting place thousands of miles over the horizon.    I enjoy the flying experience almost like the cruise   and Air Cruise)

P2130563.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

The every-other-day roll back of the clock on our Rome to Miami cruise was a sweet surprise to me.  I already love it when we “fall back” and I get an extra hour, usually of sleep, and that’s just once a year.  Getting 6 of those in a short span was pure heaven.  And something I hadn’t thought of before the cruise, despite it being fairly obvious!  Having experienced that, I can’t imagine going the other way and being told on so many nights, “you lose an hour of sleep tonight.”  I just can’t see volunteering for that!

10 minutes ago, Clutj said:

The every-other-day roll back of the clock on our Rome to Miami cruise was a sweet surprise to me.  I already love it when we “fall back” and I get an extra hour, usually of sleep, and that’s just once a year.  Getting 6 of those in a short span was pure heaven.  And something I hadn’t thought of before the cruise, despite it being fairly obvious!  Having experienced that, I can’t imagine going the other way and being told on so many nights, “you lose an hour of sleep tonight.”  I just can’t see volunteering for that!

I did a two-way TA on Marina eastbound and Queen Mary II westbound.  Either direction beats an 8-hour flight and jet lag.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 12:20 AM, Hawaiidan said:

85F on departure,  lowering to 62-63 F on arrival   according to records.   Figure  it will get about 1.5 to 2F  cooler each day.

Thanks Dan.  Cant wait, and now no tests to get back to the uk, just need PCR 24 hours before we fly to USA, anyone think that will be dropped any time soon?

On 1/20/2022 at 10:06 AM, beardedshark said:

63-65   Partial cloudy days....    cool  nights      Can be stormy sea as you get closer to the continent..  You will be heading into  and crossing strong currents  going north to south , thus coming in  from the side...  lots of  potential roll and yaw