What test done if ID’d as close contact on ship after having recovered from COVID-19 w/ negative Antigen test to board?

JaneStarr

Here’s a testing question that I haven’t seen addressed before:

Does anybody know which type of test Celebrity uses on those identified as a close contact — PCR or Antigen tests?

This is important to know for those who have had Covid-19 in the past ~ 3 months because they may still get a positive result on a PCR test from dead viral particles — even if their pre-cruise antigen test comes up negative.

I’m specifically referring to cruisers who are officially considered past their recovery/contagion period. I know that Celebrity doesn’t accept a Certificate of Recovery in lieu of the 2 day prior to boarding test, but I’m curious if they would accept proof of a positive PCR 1 month prior to avoid isolation.

I have recently recovered friends who are cruising in a few weeks. We don’t want to risk them being isolated in the Red Zone if identified as close contacts and still pulling positive PCRs. They plan to cruise as long as they get the 2-day prior negative rapid antigen results required to board.

My other question pertains to the type of cabin used on Silhouette for isolation. One friend is extremely claustrophobic and wouldn’t be able to handle an inside or porthole cabin.

It’s hard to make an informed decision without more facts.

Thanks for any insight!
Jane

Edited by JaneStarr
Fix formatting/clean up

A rapid test is done on a passenger, after they isolate in their own cabin for 24 hours, if identified as having close contact to someone who tested positive.

I know this as it happened on Edge last week to a passenger who had had a massage on Wednesday and had to isolate from around noon on Friday (after being contacted by guest services due to contact tracing of the therapist’s clients) until about 2pm on Saturday. The rapid test was done about noon Saturday and took about 2 hours until passenger was contacted with the negative results.

11 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

As I understand it on silhouette isolation and observation take place in your original cabin, but quarantine takes place in porthole cabins on deck three.

That’s what I’ve read a couple of weeks ago (except that CDC calls the pre-diagnosis time “quarantine” and calls it “isolation” after testing positive)

Have you seen any more recent updates? 

I’m really hoping they decided to block off some balcony cabins on that ship for those testing positive.  It seems like there are a fair number of people who really suffer from claustrophobia. I’ve read speculation that they would have to do something about the airflow in those new cabins to make them suitable for isolation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jane

22 minutes ago, Dock B said:

A rapid test is done on a passenger, after they isolate in their own cabin for 24 hours, if identified as having close contact to someone who tested positive.

I know this as it happened on Edge last week to a passenger who had had a massage on Wednesday and had to isolate from around noon on Friday (after being contacted by guest services due to contact tracing of the therapist’s clients) until about 2pm on Saturday. The rapid test was done about noon Saturday and took about 2 hours until passenger was contacted with the negative results.

Hmmm… I believe that they have access to rapid tests that are PCRs on the ships. Wish we had a way of knowing if they used them or the rapid antigen tests on close contacts. I know the PCRs (rapid or not) are way better at detecting early Covid-19 infection with way fewer false negatives.

Edited by JaneStarr

3 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Hmmm… I believe that they have access to rapid tests that are PCRs on the ships. Wish we had a way of knowing if they used them or the rapid antigen tests. I know the PCRs (rapid or not) are way better at detecting early Covid-19 infection with way fewer false negatives.

Sorry to say what you already know.  There is no possibility of know what type of rapid test will be used or the protocols that will be in effect for a cruise that leaves in the future.   

Not sure why the concern about an inside cabin if positive as in all the posting on Cruise Critic only one person was mentioned as assigned to an inside cabin and they were moved to a veranda quickly.

On Sillhouette this week there are fewer than 25 cases, or approx 1% of pax+crew.  They have all of deck three cabins blocked off…one corridor for staff, one for pax.  Those would either be insides or ocean views.

there have been a small number of verandah cabins observed with their tables in the hall for meal delivery …. I saw them on deck 7 and 8

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

On Sillhouette this week there are fewer than 25 cases, or approx 1% of pax+crew.  They have all of deck three cabins blocked off…one corridor for staff, one for pax.  Those would either be insides or ocean views.

there have been a small number of verandah cabins observed with their tables in the hall for meal delivery …. I saw them on deck 7 and 8

Thanks for the info. 

Based on what others have reported, I’m guessing those in verandah cabins are probably in their waiting period between being identified as close contacts and getting their test results.

14 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Sorry to say what you already know.  There is no possibility of know what type of rapid test will be used or the protocols that will be in effect for a cruise that leaves in the future.   

Not sure why the concern about an inside cabin if positive as in all the posting on Cruise Critic only one person was mentioned as assigned to an inside cabin and they were moved to a veranda quickly.

Thanks for the sanity check. I agree with you about future protocols being unknowable.

The concern about getting assigned to a cabin w/o a balcony is because we’ve seen it reported serval times. I guess it depends on the ship and somewhat on the captain.