NFL games on the big screen?

mvh

I know no one can see into the future, but does anyone know from past experience?  Will NCL play the football games  by the pool this Sunday on the Bliss, assuming I don't get an email saying the cruise has been cancelled? 

16 minutes ago, mvh said:

I know no one can see into the future, but does anyone know from past experience?  Will NCL play the football games  by the pool this Sunday on the Bliss, assuming I don't get an email saying the cruise has been cancelled? 

They were shown on the Bliss by the pool during my Thanksgiving cruise as well as in the DBH.

I am recently off the EPIC TA - Rome to NY 11/20 - 12/5.  I can tell you that there was no football shown on that cruise.  Many cruisers were angry.  That first Sunday, we were routed and shuffled to Guest Services  and some sort of Digital Engineer guy? that had to approve pulling down the signal.  Eventually they admitted there would be no NFL.  No Thanksgiving games...nothing.  I don't have hard numbers, but I would guess 75% Americans on that cruise. There is no way I would have booked a cruise in November had I known they were not going to show games.  I have written a strongly worded letter to Katty Byrd.  I await her response.  YMMV on the Bliss.

11 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

I am recently off the EPIC TA - Rome to NY 11/20 - 12/5.  I can tell you that there was no football shown on that cruise.  Many cruisers were angry.  That first Sunday, we were routed and shuffled to Guest Services  and some sort of Digital Engineer guy? that had to approve pulling down the signal.  Eventually they admitted there would be no NFL.  No Thanksgiving games...nothing.  I don't have hard numbers, but I would guess 75% Americans on that cruise. There is no way I would have booked a cruise in November had I known they were not going to show games.  I have written a strongly worded letter to Katty Byrd.  I await her response.  YMMV on the Bliss.

I'm a Lions fan, so if I missed a Thanksgiving game it wouldn't kill me since I already know the outcome. However, I definitely want to watch the playoffs. 

• Haha 6

All four of me Bermuda and NE/Canda cruises have historically got a game in the atrium.  Most interesting was the NE patriots game during a Bermuda sailing out of Boston.  I could hear the screams after each score all the way in my forward cabin two deck up.

1 hour ago, Travelicious said:

I like football, and usually watch a lot of it when at home.  If missing a game causes anger, I simply would not sail during football season.  

Yeah, I also don't know why people would expect to see American football on an Itinerary leaving from Europe. Ridiculous to be that upset.

7 hours ago, meyermtacmj said:

I was on Epic in 2017 for Super Bowl Sunday. Yes, they showed the game on the big screen. Yes, I left at halftime with Atlanta up by a bunch! 

Over the years I've watched several Super Bowls as well as many regular season NFL games while on board NCL ships.  We were in Sydney, Australia during the 2017 Super Bowl.  With the time difference, the game started about 10:00 AM on Monday.  We were scheduled to board the Star at noon that day,  We watched the game at a pub near the pier and stayed until the bitter end.  We were a bit late boarding, but we were determined not to leave until it was over.  What a game!

7 hours ago, meyermtacmj said:

I was on Epic in 2017 for Super Bowl Sunday. Yes, they showed the game on the big screen. Yes, I left at halftime with Atlanta up by a bunch! 

I remember that victory parade but it didn't go down Peachtree St. 😞

4 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Yeah, I also don't know why people would expect to see American football on an Itinerary leaving from Europe. Ridiculous to be that upset.

Each of my previous cruises (one starting in Greece) games had been shown - so I simply had an expectation that games would be shown even on an itinerary leaving Europe.  It would seem that alot of cruisers had the same expectation.  Also Guest Services seemed to think the games would be shown as well.  I already stated if I had known no games would be shown I would not have booked during football season.  It didn't ruin my cruise or cause undo harm, but I want to know if that was a one-off vs. just being lucky so I simply detailed the experience in a letter to the VP of Guest Services so I can know for sure next time.

2 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

Each of my previous cruises (one starting in Greece) games had been shown - so I simply had an expectation that games would be shown even on an itinerary leaving Europe.  It would seem that alot of cruisers had the same expectation.  Also Guest Services seemed to think the games would be shown as well.  I already stated if I had known no games would be shown I would not have booked during football season.  It didn't ruin my cruise or cause undo harm, but I want to know if that was a one-off vs. just being lucky so I simply detailed the experience in a letter to the VP of Guest Services so I can know for sure next time.

I guess if you were expecting it based on past experience, that would be disappointing. I think it would be nice if they showed the games in one of the pubs or the Brew House. But even with mostly Americans on board, not everyone likes football.

This discussion reminds me of a time on one of our Boston to Bermuda cruises when one of the comedians made a bad joke about the Patriots. She was almost made to walk the plank! Before the ship came to Boston, the joke probably got big laughs, but with the group from Boston, at that time, you would be crazy to talk bad about Brady and the Pats. The comedian was badly booed and heckled. I felt a little bad because she seemed pretty shook up about it.