Quarantine in room/out after 5 days/96 hour test requirement

Exit7a

I just got off the phone with NCL and I'm more confused than ever now. They were saying that for our Feb 4 departure:

1) We must take the pcr 96 hours before

2) We can quarantine in our room

3) We can go back out if we test negative after 5 days.

Do they have updated info? Is this post CDC guidance? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Exit7a said:

I just got off the phone with NCL and I'm more confused than ever now. They were saying that for our Feb 4 departure:

1) We must take the pcr 96 hours before

2) We can quarantine in our room

3) We can go back out if we test negative after 5 days.

Do they have updated info? Is this post CDC guidance? 

The 96-hour test instead of testing at the pier?  Or in order to qualify for assistance?

10 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

The 96-hour test instead of testing at the pier?  Or in order to qualify for assistance?

I was told it was a requirement and they would also be testing at the pier. 

7 minutes ago, jetact said:

Is the 96 hour test required now? I just got back to my office after my test for our cruise this Sunday but 2 people in our party are only doing antigen before leaving town tomorrow. 

I'm highly skeptical which is why I asked here.

• Like 1

According to the NCL site, the message hasnt changed

Cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022:
We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying with, connecting through, or sailing to before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Since you didn't say what ship/destination, I'll throw this out - it might be a requirement because of the itinerary.  Or it might be a misunderstanding.

Feb 4 16 day on the Bliss. It seems odd to me and and I asked a few times and pressed to be sure. She told me they recently allowed people to quarantine in their own rooms. I'm going to call back and see what I can find out. It all seems way off to me. 

I would also throw in that the medical community is saying that a PCR test might show positive if you have had Covid in the last few months. Even though you would not be contagious that long, the test can pick up "partial" virus pieces that would render a positive result. If we are required to do a PCR, I expect more will get a positive result and, it seems, with little to no recourse but to cancel.

Any doctor types who could confirm this?

7 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Following.  We are also on the Feb 4th Bliss sailing.  The info exit7a was told sure doesn't line up with what I think I know.  But at this point.....who knows.? 

I called back and spoke to somebody else and got completely different answers. Very frustrating. They told me you can't quarantine in your own room and they will work to get you off the ship. This person said I didn't have to do the 96 hour test. 

I can't seem to get clarity on what happens if the trip is interrupted halfway through as far as a refund if we have their travel insurance. I've asked NCL and the insurance company and keep getting non committal answers such as "We'll work it out with NCL" or "Our care team will do everything to get you taken care of"

Just now, Exit7a said:

I called back and spoke to somebody else and got completely different answers. Very frustrating. They told me you can't quarantine in your own room and they will work to get you off the ship. This person said I didn't have to do the 96 hour test. 

I can't seem to get clarity on what happens if the trip is interrupted halfway through as far as a refund if we have their travel insurance. I've asked NCL and the insurance company and keep getting non committal answers such as "We'll work it out with NCL" or "Our care team will do everything to get you taken care of"

It is my understanding that the "within 96 hours of sail date" for a Covid test, PCR or rapid Antigen, prior to travel to the port, is to be eligible for NCL and/or your travel insurance to reimb you for quarantine costs and reimb for cruise costs, should you test positive at the pier.  I could be very wrong though.  I have been reading the NCL "sail safe" "travel requirements" and cancellation and reimbursemets information pages on their website nearly every day for a while now, it seems to change frequently.  I would encourage everyone to do this.  

As far as interruption of trip halfway or partway or.... through your cruise due to Covid issues, or if you can quarantine in your own cabin, that may be an at that point in time decsion based on specific situations or circumstances. They might not be able to give folks a better answer.  Please let us know if you do get a better answer.  

36 minutes ago, Exit7a said:

I'm in a FB group for the NCL Escape, and two separate women have reported being on the ship now and being quarantined in their own room (after testing positive), and with access to food delivered from MDR and specialty restaurants.

It seems like reports are all over the place.  As noted above, it could be a ship-by-ship, or trip-by-trip decision.  Which is frustrating.

2 hours ago, ElizaSTN said:

I'm in a FB group for the NCL Escape, and two separate women have reported being on the ship now and being quarantined in their own room (after testing positive), and with access to food delivered from MDR and specialty restaurants.

It seems like reports are all over the place.  As noted above, it could be a ship-by-ship, or trip-by-trip decision.  Which is frustrating.

Were they in the haven? Maybe that has something to do with it. 

19 hours ago, ElizaSTN said:

I agree that the lack of consistency is frustrating. Although I know NCL and its crews are in a difficult position, it would make a big difference for some passengers if they knew they would quarantine in their own room vs. being moved, particularly if people are to be moved to interior staterooms. Likewise consistency among what is available to those quarantined (e.g., room service, food from MDR, alcohol, free wifi, free movies, etc.) would be helpful. Unfortunately it does not appear that a consistent approach is what NCL wants to do or is in NCL's best interests, so I suppose we just have to go into cruises hoping for the best but knowing that it could move to the worst-case scenario. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

I agree that the lack of consistency is frustrating. Although I know NCL and its crews are in a difficult position, it would make a big difference for some passengers if they knew they would quarantine in their own room vs. being moved, particularly if people are to be moved to interior staterooms. Likewise consistency among what is available to those quarantined (e.g., room service, food from MDR, alcohol, free wifi, free movies, etc.) would be helpful. Unfortunately it does not appear that a consistent approach is what NCL wants to do or is in NCL's best interests, so I suppose we just have to go into cruises hoping for the best but knowing that it could move to the worst-case scenario. 

I've said it before on this board, but whoever is running communications for this company deserves to be fired.