Joy Aft Haven Questions

mssandora

Hi. Looking at possibly booking an Aft Haven on the Joy. But I have a few questions if anyone can answer, I'd appreciate it. I've heard tales of crazy vibrations in this kind of room -- especially when the ship is traveling at top speed. I also have a question about the king bed because I've heard varying things. I've heard that it CANNOT be split, but then I watched a video that said it could be split, so I'm a little confused. Traveling with a friend, so would like for it to be able to be split, but if it can't be, we can work around that as well. 

DON'T DO IT!!!!!  Until they fix whatever problem it is.  We were on the 12/11 sailing in an aft haven  corner suite.  It was so bad the 1st night the concierge found us another cabin to sleep in the rest of the cruise.  Used it the 2nd night.  The 3rd night was not as bad as day 1 & 2, yes you could feel it during the day also.  Not just the haven aft cabins but the aft of the ship.  When traveling between Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel it was much better, but the night we left Cozumel wasn't good.

The last night was ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the joy on its 2nd sailing upon restart, midship haven penthouse. There indeed was a very strange vibration felt even at that location. I meet a couple in the aft haven penthouse I believe deck 9, right over the waterfront. They said the vibration was so bad that they had to have the refrigerator removed, why, idk. Anyway, by mid cruise they seemed to have resolved the issue but it was definitely not right and should the ship still have the malfunction an after penthouse would be a complete and utter waste and miserable.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mssandora said:

Hi. Looking at possibly booking an Aft Haven on the Joy. But I have a few questions if anyone can answer, I'd appreciate it. I've heard tales of crazy vibrations in this kind of room -- especially when the ship is traveling at top speed. I also have a question about the king bed because I've heard varying things. I've heard that it CANNOT be split, but then I watched a video that said it could be split, so I'm a little confused. Traveling with a friend, so would like for it to be able to be split, but if it can't be, we can work around that as well. 

I am the thread starter that was copied above.   After spending an awful lot of time researching this issue,  we passed on the aft cabin.   Heard from a lot of negative feedback, but not one positive experience.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 3:18 PM, lkj1301 said:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!  Until they fix whatever problem it is.  We were on the 12/11 sailing in an aft haven  corner suite.  It was so bad the 1st night the concierge found us another cabin to sleep in the rest of the cruise.  Used it the 2nd night.  The 3rd night was not as bad as day 1 & 2, yes you could feel it during the day also.  Not just the haven aft cabins but the aft of the ship.  When traveling between Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel it was much better, but the night we left Cozumel wasn't good.

The last night was ok.

I was on the same cruise and we also had to be relocated on night one to a cabin forward of the forward elevators. The back end of the ship vibrates something fierce. Customer service said it is a "known problem". We actually changed from an aft facing balcony with that gorgeous aft view to a club suite.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:08 PM, mssandora said:

That's quite sad, since I did like the notion of 2 bathrooms and a larger balcony. Time to look for another stateroom.

You might want to check on the 2BDR Haven suites in the Haven proper.  The pricing has really dropped!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, mjh2w1 said:

You might want to check on the 2BDR Haven suites in the Haven proper.  The pricing has really dropped!

The upgrade for our cruise in that is still pretty high...for our 3/19 Joy cruise. But I'll keep an eye on that. 

• 1 year later...
58 minutes ago, vickyelse said:

On the Jade right now and can’t sleep, the engine vibration is so bad. Cups rattling, mirror shaking. Aft Haven room. This was a big splurge so I’m kinda heartbroken. Will be asking to move tomorrow morning.

Very sorry to hear it.

I second the notion that on the Joy, the best Haven rooms are the HH, HI, HJ. Huge rooms, large balcony big enough for a lounger, much cheaper than being in the courtyard - so a great value and close enough to the courtyard area that it isn't an issue being on a different floor. It's our favorite rooms on that ship, have done it both times we sailed on Joy.

I am in HH cabin on 15 deck of Joy right by elevators 7/30/23.  Just paid in full and right before while checking for price drop inquired about 2 bedroom w/ large balcony in Haven proper . Was over 3,000 more then the HH . Stayed in the HH cabin as it looks quite big and just have to hop on elevators up 2 decks to Haven . 

10 hours ago, mtrancher said:

Has anyone been on the Joy in a Haven Aft cabin and NOT experienced the excessive vibration?

Vibration issues in the aft of the ship are not unique to the Joy. Some people are not bothered by it, others are more sensitive. If I had expected it going in when we were there on Encore, I don't think it would of bothered me as much as it did that first night when it woke us up not knowing what was going on.

For us, the bigger issue with being aft is that you're a long way from the Haven exclusive areas. On a ship with a full Haven, for us that's a no-go as we tend to not take advantage of the perks as much as we would if we were closer.

The vibration itself wasn't the deal breaker for us - it was the distance. On the smaller ships we would take an aft cabin if the price was right, but those bigger ones with the lounge and bar - nope, not for us.

5 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Vibration issues in the aft of the ship are not unique to the Joy.

Thanks for your response. My question stems from many posters saying the vibrations were excessive on the Joy over other ships. As a members have posted there are several reasons for vibration and no two ships are the same. With the Joy it appeared perhaps some of those reasons were more prevalent.

We have stayed in a Haven Aft Cabin on both the Bliss and the Getaway and love them. The distance to Haven facilities is well known ahead of time and while I agree with you some may not like the distance, we have never found it to hinder our use of the bar, pool, hot tubs and restaurant.

After posting my question I do see the Joy is scheduled to be refurbished in dry dock in early 2024. My guess is if something, likely with the props is causing excessive vibration than it will be addressed then. Our cruise is currently booked after the refurbishment so my concern is somewhat diminished.

• 2 weeks later...

To update on our situation in the noisy/shaking aft Haven on Norwegian Jade (room 14514), we were finally moved to a standard balcony room and able to sleep after 3 days. NCL has refused to refund the vast difference in cost between Haven and balcony, offering only a token amount. We therefore canceled two forthcoming NCL cruises and will not be sailing with them again.

5 hours ago, vickyelse said:

To update on our situation in the noisy/shaking aft Haven on Norwegian Jade (room 14514), we were finally moved to a standard balcony room and able to sleep after 3 days. NCL has refused to refund the vast difference in cost between Haven and balcony, offering only a token amount. We therefore canceled two forthcoming NCL cruises and will not be sailing with them again.

?? Room 14514 on the NCL Jade is NOT a Haven Aft Cabin. It's a Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony. The Jade does not have any Haven Aft Penthouses.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I was going to ask if the Concierge helped at all, but I'm curious how you felt you were in an aft cabin when clearly you were in a side balcony cabin. It's hard to confuse the two.

8 hours ago, mtrancher said:

?? Room 14514 on the NCL Jade is NOT a Haven Aft Cabin. It's a Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony. The Jade does not have any Haven Aft Penthouses.

Sorry to hear of your issues. I was going to ask if the Concierge helped at all, but I'm curious how you felt you were in an aft cabin when clearly you were in a side balcony cabin. It's hard to confuse the two.

Hi, it’s noted as aft on the map even though it opens on the side, because it’s still at the back of the boat—the last cabin before the ones that open to the back. The concierge did everything she could but the ship was full.