Is it possible to board the Oosterdam, drop off carry on, and leave the ship again to

FlorenceItaly

enjoy the San Diego sites, but more importantly meet friends that will be in San Diego as one of their stops on a Princess ship? I understand if I just had luggage I could check it in at the curb and board later, but I will be carrying on a few bottles of wine that will not be so convenient to tote around San Diego.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Marie

Hi,

We sailed on the Maasdam to Alaska in 2003 and we checked in and boarded around 11 am, since we had to be out of our Vancouver hotel by then anyway. We couldn't get into our cabin yet as it wasn't ready but we left our luggage (and our laptop) with the baggage and everything was later delivered to our room. It was a beautiful day so we got off the ship again and walked around Vancouver for a while before getting back on closer to sailing time.

HAL had no problem with this. However, we did have a hard time actually finding our way out of the port terminal since ALL staff were assisting passengers coming onto the ship and no one was coming off the ship. There was also a customs issue and we ended up getting sort of lost in the port terminal and setting off an alarm when we tried to exit through one of the exits. :o A little embarassing but by this time we had met up with other people trying to get out as well so we were not alone.

Anyway, I don't think it will be a problem for you, but package up your bottles of wine so that they don't break in the general luggage handling.

Have a great trip.

Pam

enjoy the San Diego sites, but more importantly meet friends that will be in San Diego as one of their stops on a Princess ship? I understand if I just had luggage I could check it in at the curb and board later, but I will be carrying on a few bottles of wine that will not be so convenient to tote around San Diego.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Marie

Gee, I wonder who this might be??????:confused:

I say, check the luggage in. Fill a box with wine, very nicely packed, slap a room tag on it, and enjoy a little visit with your friends. Why the heck are they on Princess and not with you? LOL:cool:

Maybe have a nibble, purchase our spa passes, drop our carry-ons off/wine, and get off the ship and meet our friends for a drink :). It would be so much easier had they booked HAL, but I think they are trying to avoid me, LOL..(just teasing..john..live2cruise4ever posted in the thread earler).

Marie

I want to meet you guys too, in port or a ship!!! It was SO nice meeting you both, Marie & John on the Zuiderdam.

Things are almost back to normal for us after my knee operation (had some minor complications) and a few weeks ago we adopted 2 little babies (they are 3 months old now-but they are Portuguese Water Dogs -but still my babies)

I have been printing different cruises out for Dan to pick and told him if he doesn't help make a decision soon, I'm going to plan one even if it is solo. I've done several solo & he should know I'm serious! I need some incentive to get back into shape & something to look forward to.

Sure hope you both have a GREAT cruise & get the chance to visit each other!

PLEASE post to tell us about all the fun you had!

One option would be to use one of the lockers at the airport for a few hours when you fly in - the airport is pretty close to dock. Another would be to wait until you arrive in San Diego to purchase the wine. If you're not drinking anything too exotic, there is a Ralph's grocery and also a World Market withing walking distance (a 10-15 minute walk) of the dock.

Is it possible to board the Oosterdam, drop off carry on, and leave the ship again to enjoy the San Diego sites, but more importantly meet friends that will be in San Diego as one of their stops on a Princess ship? I understand if I just had luggage I could check it in at the curb and board later, but I will be carrying on a few bottles of wine that will not be so convenient to tote around San Diego.

I want to meet you guys too, in port or a ship!!! It was SO nice meeting you both, Marie & John on the Zuiderdam.

Things are almost back to normal for us after my knee operation (had some minor complications) and a few weeks ago we adopted 2 little babies (they are 3 months old now-but they are Portuguese Water Dogs -but still my babies)

I have been printing different cruises out for Dan to pick and told him if he doesn't help make a decision soon, I'm going to plan one even if it is solo. I've done several solo & he should know I'm serious! I need some incentive to get back into shape & something to look forward to.

Pat! It's great to hear from you. I am sorry to hear of your surgery complications. Oh my goodness, your babies sound precious. And, I agree, you and Dan need to get a cruise booked, asap. John and I have been chatting on a thread in the Floataway Lounge, called "Where is Marie cruising next"....He's a funny one, LOL :). Please join us over there. Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=289604

It's a great way to stay in touch!

Marie

So glad to hear from you Pat! Wish you were here with us.....:(

I somehow remember you getting of one dam ship and gettin on another, while we all went home.....LOL Boy was I jealous.:D

What kind of knee op did you have. I had a ACL recon. Back to playing soccer.....:D

We will keep you posted.

Archived