Looking for Suggestions! Between June 11 - 19 in Anchorage

West Coast Gal

If you plan on being based out of Anchorage there are several things I would recommend within an hour drive.

1. Girdwood/Alyeska- Take the tram up the mountain for incredible views, walk/hike along Winner Creek trail, visit the nordic spa at the resort, or visit one of Girdwood's breweries.  If the Seven Glaciers Restaurant is open it is a very special treat.

2. Knik Glacier Tours in Palmer -The last 20 minutes of the drive is incredibly scenic and this tour is a great chance to spot moose.  They take out very small groups and head up the Knik River by airboat and land right in front of 2 glaciers.  There are lots of icebergs you get very close to, can even touch them if they rest against the shore.  These are not like tidewater glaciers so it's a unique experience.  I try to go once a year.  You could have lunch at Knik River Lodge nearby which has an amazing view and also offers helicopter tours over the glaciers.  You could also combine this day with a visit to the Reindeer Farm in Palmer.

3. Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine State Park - Driving into the state park is absolutely incredible.  Rushing rivers, mountain peaks, alpine meadows and lakes. At the top you can tour the historic mine.  Some people buy gold pans and try their luck. You can stop in for lunch and drinks at Hatcher Pass Lodge for world class views.  If you planned this visit on a Friday you could stop in quaint Palmer and attend the Friday fling, which is an outdoor market with local vendors, crafts and music.   Even if you couldn't make a Friday, Palmer is a very cute town to stroll through with several nice cafes, a small museum and gardens.

4. Rent electric bikes and ride along the Tony Knowles Coastal trail in Anchorage.  You will see all the locals out enjoying it on a sunny day.  It has great water and mountain views, possible spots for moose signtings.  If you make it all the way to Kincaid Park there are actually some beaches you can explore.  In July you may also find lots of wild raspberries along the trail.

Edited by GatorGirl1313
typo
  • Thanks 2

In addition to Matanuska Glacier that has been mentioned several times, the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop is a good day trip experience form Anchorage.  You can take the train from the Portage station, travel by train for about 30 minutes to the whistle stop. They transport you a short ways to the lake in front of Spencer Glacier where you are paddled around the ice bergs and then down the river to be picked up by the returning train. We’ve been out several times and it was one of our favorite, nearby, excursions when we lived in Anchorage.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/spencer-glacier-whistle-stop

https://alaskanrafting.com/product/spencer-iceberg-placer-river-float/

If you are going to Homer, I cannot rave long enough about our day fly-out to Katmai with Alaska Bear Adventures.  What was intended to be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure in 2019 caused us to book two more days with them in 2021.  They are a great team, and the bear-viewing opportunities were breath-taking.

Also, wherever you decide to drive, make sure to download The Alaska App before you go.  You can still use it even driving through areas without cell service and it provides a wide variety of both helpful and interesting information.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:04 AM, boridog said:

I hope you are referring to being in Anchorage in June 2022?  We will be starting a cruise there on the 18th, arriving early on the 16th.  Tried to book a hotel for the 2 nights in advance and found out that alot of smaller B&Bs are sold out for the 17th(maybe 18, 19 as well?) because…there is a big marathon that weekend in Anchorage PLUS big celebrations for the Summer Solstice!!!! Maybe this would interest you?

Great information THANK You!