First cruise out of Charleston on Sunshine Jan 13-17! Mini review!

ninjacat123

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm so glad you had the tram for your dad.  Did you ask for the tram when you pulled into the parking lot or did it show up serendipitously? 

It just showed up. We did have to ask for a wheelchair to get through Bldg 324 and again to get from the bus to where the scooter pickup was, but both times the wheelchairs were there quickly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, palmettopa0206 said:

We’re staying in this room in a few weeks! Did they ever fix the tub?

No, I asked my DH if we should get it taken care of and he said no.  I'm not a tub person so it didn't matter to me.  If you want a tub that fills up, I'd call it in right away.  You will love that suite!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Where we parked is at the top of the photo, outside of the red circle.  Good thing I was wearing my sneakers!😜

Can you show on your map where the luggage drop off area is and do you go there first before parking?

2 hours ago, Raymok said:

Can you show on your map where the luggage drop off area is and do you go there first before parking?

Luggage drop off was in the top left corner, its kind of where the orange circle is.  They set up tents.  You cannot miss it, it is part of the parking line.  You will enter the lot and they will have jersey walls set up to snake around to where you pay, then to luggage drop off, then to park.  There is no way to park without going to luggage drop. 

charleston.thumb.png.e4b80284a8439a5525bd85dd785cd2e8.png

29 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

There is no way to park without going to luggage drop. 

Except if you don’t have luggage you’re checking. I brought a small suitcase which I hauled on board myself.  

In that case, you drive to the right side of the luggage tent (be aware of crossing oncoming traffic). Then people direct you to park.  The parking people are confused by this, because the guy says “Where’d you come from?”  LOL

Thanks for your map, Ella.  Since I was a solo traveler last time, it really helped me figure out where I was going on advance of arrival.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EllaDuChien said:

Luggage drop off was in the top left corner, its kind of where the orange circle is.  They set up tents.  You cannot miss it, it is part of the parking line.  You will enter the lot and they will have jersey walls set up to snake around to where you pay, then to luggage drop off, then to park.  There is no way to park without going to luggage drop. 

Thanks for the information, really helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EllaDuChien said:

Thanks... At end of cruise is your luggage in building 324 and do they have porters to take the luggage to your car?

2 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Except if you don’t have luggage you’re checking. I brought a small suitcase which I hauled on board myself.  

Good to know...as a serial over-packer, that has never happened to me!

1 hour ago, Raymok said:

Thanks... At end of cruise is your luggage in building 324 and do they have porters to take the luggage to your car?

No, your luggage is in the building marked Union Pier next to the red circle.  And I did not see any porters offering to take your luggage from there to your car, only the ones inside the terminal that will help you through to the bus.

1 hour ago, Raymok said:

When we were being guided through the parking lot, we were directed to the tent that had a porter taking bags from the car.  We wanted to roll our carryon onboard so we declined and kept being guided to our parking spot.  I wish we would have used the porter because from there we were hauling our luggage to building 324, then a haul to the terminal.  Live and learn for Sept 22 cruise out of Charleston!

To answer your question about the end of a cruise (which is a sad thought) there are shuttles from the terminal that will take you and your luggage to the parking lot.  Knowing us and our "must get to car and hit road" we will probably not wait and will hoof it to the parking lot, dragging our bags with us.😜

Edited by ninjacat123

2 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

Hi! Can I ask you to think back on your Magic cruise?  Regarding the spa- did you have a day pass? How much was it? Was the Thalasso bubble pool crowded?  Thanks in advance!

We got a couples spa pass for our 5 day Magic cruise for $129 (I think) before embarkation.  The pass may cost more if you wait to buy till onboard.  My DH was able to find a spot in the bubbly pool everyday.  👍

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

When we were being guided through the parking lot, we were directed to the tent that had a porter taking bags from the car.  We wanted to roll our carryon onboard so we declined and kept being guided to our parking spot.  I wish we would have used the porter because from there we were hauling our luggage to building 324, then a haul to the terminal.  Live and learn for Sept 22 cruise out of Charleston!

To answer your question about the end of a cruise (which is a sad thought) there are shuttles from the terminal that will take you and your luggage to the parking lot.  Knowing us and our "must get to car and hit road" we will probably not wait and will hoof it to the parking lot, dragging our bags with us.😜

Ninja - Oh my goodness!!! I am also on the 9/22 Sunshine!! 😄  Also, the 6/30 and the 12/26 if your planning ahead!!  Heck, at some point we should carpool!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EllaDuChien said:

Ninja - Oh my goodness!!! I am also on the 9/22 Sunshine!! 😄  Also, the 6/30 and the 12/26 if your planning ahead!!  Heck, at some point we should carpool!

😄Are you cruising over the Labor Day weekend?  I just snagged a deal, $100 per person in an interior for 5 days on Ecstasy May 28.  Taking my two DDs (19 and 21) for some Mommy & Daughters time.  I got the email from Carnival and jumped on it. I'm driving 9 hours to Mobile so grab a ticket and let's carpool on that cruise too☺️

On 1/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, dololie said:

Do you happen to know where handicap  parking is? How far is it from the shuttle to the ship? Do you have to take your life jacket to the muster drill. I had a spa room last time we went on the Sunshine I was disappointed they did not have a aroma pool. 

"Handicap" parking is in same outside parking lot, but a bit closer to terminal garage.  Still a bit of a walk to get there.  They offer you a golf cart shuttle if you need it.

No life jacket needed any longer.  When you get on board, drop your carry on bags in you cabin (even if hallway doors are closed over) and leave.  Go right to you assigned muster station and it's a 2 minute experience with signing in and being shown the life jacket drill. No crowds and very easy.  Then go to lunch !

• Like 1

Thanks Ninjacat. Good deets on the foods, the drinks, the shows and the logistics. This is all relevant to us as DH and I are sailing without the fam here in a few weeks during what should be a post spring break shoulder season so upgrades are certainly possible and something to consider.

That's on Vista, so I am planning to do at least one dinner at C del C and one at Jiji's since the Mardi Gras free version of CdC had, I believe, a different menu and we've never had the opportunity to try Jiji's.  Since DH has always been happy with the filet at Sea Day Brunch I don't think we will do steakhouse.  It was very nice on MG but just not quite worth the upcharge IMHO, but really a close call.

Charleston isn't close enough to us to be any more convenient than any other port, but I really like that Carnival has so many homeport options to put ships within a half day drive of so many passengers. I'm glad Charleston has a nice-ish ship - as Fantasy class winds down seems like Spirit and Sunshine class ships with their relative plethora of balconies will be a modest-to-significant upgrade for the smaller ports. We also have a short one on Radiance booked for this summer so I'm excited to sample Sunshine class and compare to our first Carnival cruise on the old battered and beleaguered Triumph.  

Lastly I wonder if the success of the Destiny/Sunshine project would make it worthwhile to really, really upgrade the Spirit class ships with entirely new identities. They are small but of course there are benefits to that, but they are definitely of their era, if you know what I mean.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:35 AM, KmomChicago said:

Thanks Ninjacat. Good deets on the foods, the drinks, the shows and the logistics. This is all relevant to us as DH and I are sailing without the fam here in a few weeks during what should be a post spring break shoulder season so upgrades are certainly possible and something to consider.

That's on Vista, so I am planning to do at least one dinner at C del C and one at Jiji's since the Mardi Gras free version of CdC had, I believe, a different menu and we've never had the opportunity to try Jiji's.  Since DH has always been happy with the filet at Sea Day Brunch I don't think we will do steakhouse.  It was very nice on MG but just not quite worth the upcharge IMHO, but really a close call.

Charleston isn't close enough to us to be any more convenient than any other port, but I really like that Carnival has so many homeport options to put ships within a half day drive of so many passengers. I'm glad Charleston has a nice-ish ship - as Fantasy class winds down seems like Spirit and Sunshine class ships with their relative plethora of balconies will be a modest-to-significant upgrade for the smaller ports. We also have a short one on Radiance booked for this summer so I'm excited to sample Sunshine class and compare to our first Carnival cruise on the old battered and beleaguered Triumph.  

Lastly I wonder if the success of the Destiny/Sunshine project would make it worthwhile to really, really upgrade the Spirit class ships with entirely new identities. They are small but of course there are benefits to that, but they are definitely of their era, if you know what I mean.

I like the availability of ports, especially the Florida ports but next cruise I'm driving allll the way to Mobile, AL. 8.5 hours of driving.  I figure I will drive to Atlanta, my girls sleep and I'll get one of my girls to take turns the rest of the way.  This is my story and I'm sticking with it😜

I think many on the CC boards love the Spirit class.  We cruised on Miracle and loved it.  To me it is a "goldilock's ship" not too big, not too small.  Just right.  Adding a couple restaurants would be a nice upgrade.  JiJi's would be very nice.

Back to Mobile, AL  I will be onboard Ecstasy, the oldest ship in Carnival's fleet.  Not much to do but my DDs are just as excited as I am to cruise! The ports are Cozumel and Playa Costa so I know where to take my girls for margaritas and beautiful water.  Now the drive back....yikes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Moonlighting said:

Is there lobster night on 4 day?  Any menus?
do they still have quest ?

drink package for half moon? 

Thank you in advance ☺️

We didn't eat in the MDR but I'm pretty sure lobster isn't on the MDR menu for a 4 day except for an upcharge.

Sorry, I didn't get the menus.  If you want the specialty restaurant menus go to https://saintgregtravel.com/menus/

I didn't see Quest on the activities list.  

Cheers can't be used on HMC.  

Hope that helps!👍

We are sailing out of Charleston for the first time onMarch 7 and I was wondering how you found where to park. Can we put Charleston terminal in our Google maps ? I want to use the map to get us from here in TN to the port, but not sure what to put as our destination. Thanks for any info. We will certainly have to wait for a shuttle, because there is no way my husband could walk that far.

33 minutes ago, teacher34 said:

We are sailing out of Charleston for the first time onMarch 7 and I was wondering how you found where to park. Can we put Charleston terminal in our Google maps ? I want to use the map to get us from here in TN to the port, but not sure what to put as our destination. Thanks for any info. We will certainly have to wait for a shuttle, because there is no way my husband could walk that far.

We tried the google approach and it led us to the port terminal which is not where you enter the parking lot.  Yes, it's a fenced in lot, not a building like other ports.  Look for a line up of cars and get in line with them.  If there isn't a line up, the entrance is off of Laurens St, I believe.  On google it says Cruise Terminal Parking. Eventually you'll be allowed to serpentine through the lot, drop off luggage with the porters if you want and then directed to a spot.  Then you hike to Building 324 to check in.  I would suggest dropping off your luggage with the porters.  Have all your documentation with you and either walk to Building 324 or wait for wheelchair assistance.  This upcoming cruise March 28 on Sunshine, I will be doing that for my mom.  I hope this helps!