Mex Riviera closed loop cruise birth certificate question

Kclovesken

Ok guys I'm kinda freaking out here. So I ordered my passport and there was a delay. I am PRAYING it comes in time for my cruise. However I can use my birth cert I was told. My confusion though is do I also need a marriage license since I have a different last name? Any advice would be helpful. I did call NCL and got the standard answer of a cert being ok for this cruise but no answer to the above. 

Help 🤔😔

Edited by Kclovesken
Spelling

• Kclovesken changed the title to Mex Riviera closed loop cruise birth certificate question

Well a 100 years ago or so, when we cruised without passports, used birth certificate, first name, middle name and date of birth matched my drivers license, (different last name) and had no problem.  But, that was back in the good ole days.  

46 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Well a 100 years ago or so, when we cruised without passports, used birth certificate, first name, middle name and date of birth matched my drivers license, (different last name) and had no problem.  But, that was back in the good ole days.  

Well thanks for that input 😅 however I lost my home in a fire and had some issues getting a duplicate passport. Wasn't poor planning I promise. However we have everything worked out now and I'm praying 🙏 it comes in time. Just hoping for the best expecting the worst kinda thing. 

I am not sure when you applied for your passport and when you need it but mine took 6 weeks. I did not expedite my passport. I did pay extra for express shipping. They received my application on December 1st and I received it in the mail 6 weeks later. You can follow the status online but that ended up being worthless since my status changed to approved the same day it came in the mail.

I was also worried for my February 13th cruise but I ended up canceling and am now going in May. Good luck!

Greetings

The official rule is that you must have documentation that shows your legal name change.  That is the official rule, don't know if they allow any "wiggle room".  If you have a Global Entry card or an enhanced driver license (only available in a couple of states) that is sufficient to prove citizenship for a closed loop cruise.

Good Sailing

Tom

I wouldn't take any chances, bring the documentation showing your name change if your license doesn't match your BC.

Too bad CA doesn't have the enhanced DL some other states (like NY) have.  It's not quite as good as a passport card, but it's close and CAN be used for closed-loop cruising from a US port, but you still run the risk of not being able to fly home if you're put off the ship in a foreign port for some reason.

Very often, as far as check in is concerned, if the first and middle names and date of birth match on the DL and BC, then you are fine.  The official reason to have the "bridging document" is that when you return to the US, and clear customs and immigration, the CBP agent can, but not always do, ask to see the bridging documents (marriage license, divorce decree, name change record).  If you don't have them, they may pull you aside for secondary screening while they search their databases.  This could lead to delays and missed flights.

5 minutes ago, n4w said:

A REAL ID is not the same thing as an Enhanced DL. A REAL ID has a star, an enhanced DL has a US Flag. It's only some the border states that the option for an enhanced driver's license, it's essentially the same process as getting a passport to get it, and it costs more than a regular ID. 

41 minutes ago, n4w said:

Big mistake lots of people make, since the state governments don't make the difference clear.  Real ID, what California has, is going to be required for domestic air travel, but does not prove citizenship.  An enhanced DL, is good for international land travel (Mexico and Canada), and for WHTI cruises in the Western Hemisphere.  An Enhanced DL requires proof of citizenship, and is marked differently as others have noted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Big mistake lots of people make, since the state governments don't make the difference clear.  Real ID, what California has, is going to be required for domestic air travel, but does not prove citizenship.  An enhanced DL, is good for international land travel (Mexico and Canada), and for WHTI cruises in the Western Hemisphere.  An Enhanced DL requires proof of citizenship, and is marked differently as others have noted.

I wouldn't of know that till I went in to get my real ID. I think a lot of people are under that assumption.