Fetching hot water to make our own coffee?

suebee53

8 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

I thought we were hard core, AWESOME 😍😍

I've been roasting for about 5 or 6 years. There's a learning curve, but it's fun. Some of the worst coffee I've ever had was from my early roasts! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, mek said:

My husband and I make our own iced tea with a carafe of hot water that we fill up in the Windjammer and "brew" it with 4 or 5 tea bags.  It tastes so much better than the concentrate that comes out of the machines.

That is such a great idea! I had resorted to making Arnold Palmers because the "iced tea" was so blech. 

5 hours ago, Broons77 said:

@suebee53 Bring a thermos bottle, fill with hot water from the coffee machines in the WJ or Promenade. We are coffee psychos as well and do this each cruise.

Bingo. That is what we'll do. Thank you! What size thermos bottle do you guys use?

Meanwhile, I'll save the collapsible water kettle I just bought for my next Carnival cruise. 

Edited by suebee53
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, suebee53 said:

The last time we sailed RC, our hot water kettle (for morning pour-over coffee) was confiscated. Ordering a carafe of hot water from room service taught us that by the time it gets to us, it's not hot enough. Ordering a carafe of coffee from room service taught us that their coffee is undrinkable. 

If we bring a plastic carafe, is there a way to fetch very hot water to bring back to our cabin? From Cafe Promenade? From Windjammer? Any other way I'm not aware of?

We are sailing Liberty OTS in March.

Most anything with a decent heating eliminate will be prohibited due to fire risks.

I used to roast and grind while at home and take the fresh ground coffee on the ship with a "Coffee Press". But have since settled on the pretty good coffee Lattes in the Cafe Prom. Have you tried? I find it a worthwhile alternative to traveling with the coffee gear. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, chengkp75 said:

Those "flushable" wipes are really not.  They continually cause problems in municipal sewer systems, where older pipes have significant partial blockages, or lift stations, where the wipes get trapped and provide a binder for further blockage.

I don't bring wipes on a ship with me, but just wondered about @chengkp75's opinion of the "flushability" claims by Cottonelle's Flushable Wipes, which are manufactured differently than baby wipes?

https://www.cottonelle.com/en-us/flushability

Edited by brillohead

I read the fine print under their video, and that gave the game away.  They soaked the wipes in water for 1 hour to "simulate drain dwell time", and then it took another 6 minutes of agitation to dissolve.  First off, that 6 minutes is about 5 minutes longer than the wipe would be in the vacuum piping before it gets to the pump on a ship.  Second, even for a land based sanitary system, I don't know where you would have a wipe lying in water for an hour (unless there was already a significant clog present), except in a street catch basin, unless the "dwell time" means the total time to get to the sewage treatment plant, in which case the wipes being "made for your pipes" is total advertising BS, as they know it won't break down in your house, but miles away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, suebee53 said:

Bingo. That is what we'll do. Thank you! What size thermos bottle do you guys use?

Meanwhile, I'll save the collapsible water kettle I just bought for my next Carnival cruise. 

We have 2 32oz bottles. Just warm them up first with hot tap water for a few minutes, then go get the water. We've gone to the MDR a couple of times for hot water as well, never a problem. Have fun!

On 1/19/2022 at 1:51 PM, chengkp75 said:

And, unless you are on a cruise from the UK, he likely won't bring one.  One thing I would ask, if you are doing pour over, is to bring a supply of plastic sandwich bags for the grounds, as the cabin stewards have to hand sort all the garbage taken from the cabins, and loose grounds will contaminate a whole lot of garbage that could have been dealt with in other, more efficient ways, as well as making life easier for the stewards.

If you sail on the Ovation, via it's transit from Australia to Hawaii and then on to Alaska each cabin has a tea kettle in the room.  The housekeeper will replenish your tea, sugar and half n half or your non dairy creamer as well.  

I was wondering if this is a U.S. cruise line issue or some other regulation?

6 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

If you sail on the Ovation, via it's transit from Australia to Hawaii and then on to Alaska each cabin has a tea kettle in the room.  The housekeeper will replenish your tea, sugar and half n half or your non dairy creamer as well.  

I was wondering if this is a U.S. cruise line issue or some other regulation?

The cruise lines' insurers would prefer not to have kettles or coffee makers in cabins on any ship.  It is merely that those British and Australian cruises where the demographic overwhelmingly demands kettles that they acquiesce.  The same goes for hair care appliances, they would prefer not to allow these, but know the storm it would make.  The ship provided ones have to be taken out of service periodically for inspection and testing, costing a lot of manhours. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I read the fine print under their video, and that gave the game away.  They soaked the wipes in water for 1 hour to "simulate drain dwell time", and then it took another 6 minutes of agitation to dissolve.  First off, that 6 minutes is about 5 minutes longer than the wipe would be in the vacuum piping before it gets to the pump on a ship.  Second, even for a land based sanitary system, I don't know where you would have a wipe lying in water for an hour (unless there was already a significant clog present), except in a street catch basin, unless the "dwell time" means the total time to get to the sewage treatment plant, in which case the wipes being "made for your pipes" is total advertising BS, as they know it won't break down in your house, but miles away.

Well, if they don't actually flush through your system, they will have dwell time in the pipe, and later flushes many have them breakdown. 😄

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The cruise lines' insurers would prefer not to have kettles or coffee makers in cabins on any ship.  It is merely that those British and Australian cruises where the demographic overwhelmingly demands kettles that they acquiesce.  The same goes for hair care appliances, they would prefer not to allow these, but know the storm it would make.  The ship provided ones have to be taken out of service periodically for inspection and testing, costing a lot of manhours. 

Hello,

I still take my own kettle as the last one RCI supplied in my cabin leaked and my steward was grateful that he didn't have to go and find me a replacement.  I take coffee bags in order not to leave a sludge in the bottom of the waste bin for my steward to clear.

And before anyone says kettles are banned, the UK printed brochure made no reference to kettles only 'coffee makers' being banned - though that didn't stop friends successfully taking a 'pod' type coffee machine on their last cruise.

Regards,

Cublet

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Anthem (sailing from Cape Liberty) still had kettles [from UK sailings] in the cabins two weeks ago.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:43 AM, Broons77 said:

We have 2 32oz bottles. Just warm them up first with hot tap water for a few minutes, then go get the water. We've gone to the MDR a couple of times for hot water as well, never a problem. Have fun!

Thanks! I scored a couple of 18 oz. thermos bottles at Costco today for $22 that will be perfect, since we each drink one 16 oz. mug of coffee. Warming them up in the cabin first is a great idea. (It's been decades since I used a thermos bottle, and sure appreciate the suggestion!) 

• Like 1