Plan B if we test positive

Tatra603

Flying from the UK to Florida early March, but because we are spending 4 nights pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale, we'll need to take another test for the cruise.

If the worst happens and one of us tests positive, what is the best number to contact Celebrity to inform them?

Will we be allowed to turn it into a land based holiday, albeit with 5(?) days of quarantine? If so, will Celebrity help with a quarantine hotel or are we on our own?

I am aware that rules could change between now and then. Assume things stay as they are now.

I think you need to check 3 things here.

1. does the Cruise with confidence offer apply to your cruise? It covers cancellations up to 48 hours before cruise departure.

2. does the covid-19 assistance program apply? I think not as it covers sailings up to 31 January 2022 at present.

3, what does your travel insurance cover offer? Which is most likely your best option for assistance.

More information here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/health-and-safety

Edited by Bretty
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Bretty said:

I think you need to check 3 things here.

1. does the Cruise with confidence offer apply to your cruise? It covers cancellations up to 48 hours before cruise departure.

2. does the covid-19 assistance program apply? I think not as it covers sailings up to 31 January 2022 at present.

3, what does your travel insurance cover offer? Which is most likely your best option for assistance.

More information here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/health-and-safety

Thanks for your reply.

With regards to points 1 and 3, I wasn't really thinking about the financial aspects. I know I'll be covered.

I was enquiring more about the logistics if we were to fly all that way and then test positive.

Would we be allowed to stay in the US and if so, how long would we need to quarantine before we could enjoy the rest of our stay in Florida? 

8 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

Thanks for your reply.

With regards to points 1 and 3, I wasn't really thinking about the financial aspects. I know I'll be covered.

I was enquiring more about the logistics if we were to fly all that way and then test positive.

Would we be allowed to stay in the US and if so, how long would we need to quarantine before we could enjoy the rest of our stay in Florida? 

You can essentially do whatever you want. The government/CDC recommendation is to isolate for 5 days, assuming you are fever free plus 5 days of wearing a mask around others. You will be in Florida where COVID concerns are rather low. But Celebrity isn't going to help you since you never made it on the ship. You would need to find your own way around and your own accommodations.

As already mentioned, the assistance policy is effective only through Jan 31 although it's probably safe to bet it gets extended although its not applicable to your question either way. 

It sounds like you could get to spend a vacation in Florida in March.  Not terrible.  Should be nice weather in southern Florida.

If it is "spring break" time Florida could be crowded with vacationers.  I would suggest at least looking into your Plan B details (i.e., where to stay, what to do). That way you could quickly make alternate reservations as soon as you know you have to change plans.

I assume that you have/will arrange to get a COVID test while in Florida.  Don't wait to the last minute to arrange for the test.

Also, I think you need a negative COVID test before departing for the US.

According to the cruise with confidence program you should get your cruise money refunded:

"100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**"

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

It sounds like you could get to spend a vacation in Florida in March.  Not terrible.  Should be nice weather in southern Florida.

If it is "spring break" time Florida could be crowded with vacationers.  I would suggest at least looking into your Plan B details (i.e., where to stay, what to do). That way you could quickly make alternate reservations as soon as you know you have to change plans.

I assume that you have/will arrange to get a COVID test while in Florida.  Don't wait to the last minute to arrange for the test.

Also, I think you need a negative COVID test before departing for the US.

According to the cruise with confidence program you should get your cruise money refunded:

"100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**"

This is all very useful. Thank you.

So much has been written about what happens if you test positive on board, but very little about this scenario (most people crossing the pond are doing it within 2 days).

We originally booked this before covid and paid for the hotel and flights then.

If you discount CVS and Walgreens, where booking is difficult from over here and apparently are quite unreliable, the nearest testing centre to our accommodation (Premiere Hotel) is called Synergy DX. They are also one of the few that open weekends, as our cruise departs on Monday 7th. Their reviews are pretty good.

It's good to know that if we miss out on the cruise, we'll still be able to enjoy a land based holiday. 

When is your spring break over there?

11 hours ago, Tatra603 said:
Flying from the UK to Florida early March, but because we are spending 4 nights pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale, we'll need to take another test for the cruise.

If the worst happens and one of us tests positive, what is the best number to contact Celebrity to inform them?

Will we be allowed to turn it into a land based holiday, albeit with 5(?) days of quarantine? If so, will Celebrity help with a quarantine hotel or are we on our own?

I am aware that rules could change between now and then. Assume things stay as they are now.

When we did a staycation cruise in September I think there was an emergency number in the documents.

It may be worth your while searching some hotels (and condos) so if things go wrong you already have a list of places and areas you would like to stay.

I added condos as if your first few days are in quarantine having a kitchen area, decent fridge…makes ordering in takeaway food/self catering so much easier. Also more space to separate yourselves if one of you is positive and the other is negative. In our experience condos are often comparable in price to many hotels and in a situation where one or both of you are at best quarantining or worse still not feeling well being able to self cater and having more space than a standard hotel room  is a plus.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You can essentially do whatever you want. The government/CDC recommendation is to isolate for 5 days, assuming you are fever free plus 5 days of wearing a mask around others. You will be in Florida where COVID concerns are rather low. But Celebrity isn't going to help you since you never made it on the ship. You would need to find your own way around and your own accommodations.

As already mentioned, the assistance policy is effective only through Jan 31 although it's probably safe to bet it gets extended although its not applicable to your question either way. 

Greetings

COVID concerns are anything but low in Florida.  We have some of the worse numbers in the USA.  COVID restrictions are very loose so there will be no one forcing them to do anything.  It is us to their own conscience as to isolation and mitigation in Florida.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 1

I copied this from the celebrity site, but didn’t keep the link

Celebrity number for positive test

If you receive a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide so we may assist with rescheduling your cruise vacation plans.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

This is all very useful. Thank you.

So much has been written about what happens if you test positive on board, but very little about this scenario (most people crossing the pond are doing it within 2 days).

We originally booked this before covid and paid for the hotel and flights then.

If you discount CVS and Walgreens, where booking is difficult from over here and apparently are quite unreliable, the nearest testing centre to our accommodation (Premiere Hotel) is called Synergy DX. They are also one of the few that open weekends, as our cruise departs on Monday 7th. Their reviews are pretty good.

It's good to know that if we miss out on the cruise, we'll still be able to enjoy a land based holiday. 

When is your spring break over there?

Spring break is mostly in March. 

https://www.inertiatours.com/when-is-spring-break-2022/

I'd avoid large crowds and wear an N95 mask. 

Hopefully the latest spike will be gone by then... 

You might already be doing this but I would spend time thinking about staying healthy.  Among my suggestions,  double mask on the plane (I wear a large filtered cloth mask on top of a KN94), eat after everyone else has eaten on  plane (and hopefully replaced their masks), remove your mask from one ear only, slip food in, replace mask, use a straw to drink, turn air on high and pointed at you, do not take off mask in restroom of aircraft.  In Florida, try to eat meals outdoors or in your room.  I avoid elevators with others. If you take cabs, lower windows in back, avoid shuttles and vans with others.  There are  more tips out there.  Good luck to you, have a safe and healthy trip. 

• Thanks 1