Carnival air/sea has screwed us royally, what to do in Ft. Lauderdale?

Onebusyman

Carnival air/sea has screwed us royally by not having us fly out of Ft Lauderdale until almost 6:00 pm to the west coast. What do people do? What are we supposed to do for hours and hours? We don't think that we can do a post cruise package because we will still have all our stuff. Plus, because of this I don't plan on spending a dime more than I have to with Carnival. Our air package getting to the cruise ship bites the big one. Last time great luck. This time they really shafted us. Never ever again. We can't even change the times. Carnival says talk to the airlines, the airlines say talk to Carnival. We paid about $200 more to get the shaft from them. Their call center in India says they can do nothing for me.

If Carnival air was more expensive then why did you book it???

Unless you pay the air deviation fees, you cannot select your flights, and you are at the mercy of the cruiseline and airline.

Who has a call center in India??

We never recommend buying cruiseline air if there are other choices.

Seems like more & more airlines are reducing flights these days leaving us all with less choices. Many in our group are facing the same return situation.

There should be lots of entertainment options in Ft Lauderdale without having to go thru the cruiseline. Good luck.

When we have had late flights out of Fll we just spent a few hours at the beach in Fll, and enjoyed the sun for one last time . It cost $10 to rent a lounge but it's worth it. Theres also shops and restaurants near the beach that we had gone to. Is your ship coming into FLL or Miami.

For future reference, all Carnival's [and any cruise line's] air/sea program guarantees you a trip from "Point A" to "Point B". Nothing further. If you don't buy a "deviation", they'll simply buy the cheapest airfare they can find. Regardless of convenience--or lack thereof--to you.

In many cases, it's cheaper--sometimes much cheaper--to buy airfare independently.

I booked my own air months and months ago and the only affordable flight going out of Miami was at 6 pm. Since then, that flight has been cancelled and I was put on a 4 pm flight (which was and continues to be priced out $150 more than flying the later flight). We're all a little bit at the mercy of the airlines as they scramble to keep their businesses afloat.

I'm so glad that I started reading these boards. I orginally booked cruise/air through Carnival and after reading things here, I started having second thoughts because we did not want any red-eye flights pre or post! So, I cancelled the air portion this weekend (final payment isn't due until next week) and made my own arrangements. We added a post night in Miami and still saved several hundred dollars!

After reading their brochure I was so confident that they would fly us down the day before, put us up in a nice hotel and then fly us back out as soon as we hit the port! Like I said, thanks to cc members I got my head out of the clouds and made the right decision!

Couldn't or wouldn't have done it without cruisecritics!

Rent a car from Budget. Pickup at "F07" near the pier and dropoff at "FLL" (airport). Should cost around $40.00 total. Budget has a free shuttle from the port.

You have someplace to put your luggage and transportation around town.

Now you won't get the benefit of the airport transfer through Carnival, but you won't want to arrive at the airport at 11:00 either!!

First of all, forget standby totally if you are traveling during spring break! My brother is a pilot and I have lots of experience flying standby. Never try it to Las Vegas or any spring break destination during springbreak! I have taken bumps on wkends. (using a paid RT ticket) out of MIA and FLL coming off of a cruise because the planes are often overbooked. Hindsight is 20/20 vision as they say, but I NEVER book air through the cruiselines. If you do, pay the deviation fee!

Like the last poster said, rent a car. The leasing places run free shuttles from the port to their offices if you have reserved ahead. Or pick one up after you get back to the airport. You can look on any number of travel websites to compare rates, but they are usually not too bad if you choose a smallish car. (I've had the lowest rates w/Thrifty and Budget when in FLL or MIA.) Then, head out! There are lots of places you can go: Sometimes we head E. on Commercial Blvd. (off of I-95, N. of the downtown FLL area) straight to the beach. At the end of Commerical there is a tropical, open-sided but a/c restaurant we love to get grouper sandwiches and stuff at called Aruba where you can get lunch. It's popular, and sits RIGHT on the beach. You may have to search around a few block area to park, but your luggage (if anything is w/you and not at the airport) should be pretty safe in the trunk. At least we've done that a few times. (We wear swimsuits under shorts and a t-shirt, keep a small bag of "airplane clothes" in our car, shower off right at the free showers on the beach, then change in a restroom or at the airport! You can bring a plastic bag to put anything dirty or wet in before putting it back in your suitcase or carryon.) Another idea is you can go E. on Sunrise Blvd. from I-95 towards the main "est". most touristy part of FLL Beach (by A1A). It's a busier area, though. Many places to eat/drink across from the beach. Tons touist shops. Something else kind of fun: There are water taxis around the intercoastal waterway that pass by a lot of FLL restaurants on the water just a mile or so in from the beach in the vicinity of Las Olas and some main E/W artery where there is a drawbridge (? - use a map!) One restaurant is called Shooters (you could call for directions and once you find it, you are in the right area), and many boats pull up there. It, too, has an open wall, plus you can walk along a sidewalk along the waterway there. You can just sit and boat watch or have a drink or coffee, or catch the watertaxi & see a lot of nice homes, etc., along some of the route. They make stops and you can get on and off. Or just have lunch down in the area and watch the boats go by! One more thing - there is a HUGE indoor "flea market" (only lots of the stuff is new) in FLL. It's pretty famous and even has entertainment and food. It's not your usual type of flea market. (Someone else on these boards can no doubt tell you the name of it and where it is. (I bet the rental car people or airport people know, as well.) So - there are some ideas! W/a good local map, AAA book or other guidebook, you can find all of the stuff I am talking about. Good luck and enjoy your day!

Thank you for the help and sugestions. Renting a car may be our best bet. A great idea. We were in Fll last year and did enjoy the shopping and beaches. The water taxi's were fun and like me cheep.

We did know and accept the risks, but we had great luck last time. The price differance was about $100.00 we figured we make up some of that with taxi charges.

HI, we will be flying home post cruise to the west coast in March and our flight doesn't leave till 6:20 pm. We plan on doing a (Princess) ships tour of the Everglades and wildlife sanctuary. Our daughter did this last year, it was very nice , they we given priority disembarkation and the bus kept their luggage on it for them while they were on the tour, then brought them to the airport at the end of the tour. It all went very well. You might consider this option.

Cori

HI, we will be flying home post cruise to the west coast in March and our flight doesn't leave till 6:20 pm. We plan on doing a (Princess) ships tour of the Everglades and wildlife sanctuary. Our daughter did this last year, it was very nice , they we given priority disembarkation and the bus kept their luggage on it for them while they were on the tour, then brought them to the airport at the end of the tour. It all went very well. You might consider this option.

Cori

We did this tour on Princess in January and it was a good way to spend the time. You will still get to the airport around 1:30-2:00. Also , although this tour almost always makes, the company they use requires a minimum number and you will not get your tickets till that happens. The tour desk told us that they could only remember one week when that happened, but suggested that you turn your request in early. The tour ended up with 2 busses, one for Miami Airport and ONe for FLL.

We did this tour on Princess in January and it was a good way to spend the time. You will still get to the airport around 1:30-2:00. Also , although this tour almost always makes, the company they use requires a minimum number and you will not get your tickets till that happens. The tour desk told us that they could only remember one week when that happened, but suggested that you turn your request in early. The tour ended up with 2 busses, one for Miami Airport and ONe for FLL.

Thanks Coolmama 1 , we will get our request in early. Hopefully it will all go well. :) Cori

I think we have settled on a plan. We'll take Carnivals transfer to FLL. Check our big bags. Store our carry on bags, then catch a taxi to the museum and catch the King Tut exhibit for the day.

Thank you to everyone who have been so helpful.

When Carnival air works it's great. When it doesn't????

I think another poster said it best, we give up a lot of control, and place a lot of trust in people who are told to save every dime they can. $10 or $15 dollars in their profit margin means 2-3 hours of airport wait time for us. Guess who wins. I promise not to spend an extra dollar with Carnival. They only way we can hit back is with our pocketbook.

If those of us who feel that we have been screwed by Carnival Air, is to persuade enough people to book their own flights and make their own arrangements. Keep control and keep your money.

I think we have settled on a plan. We'll take Carnivals transfer to FLL. Check our big bags. Store our carry on bags, then catch a taxi to the museum and catch the King Tut exhibit for the day.]

Check with FLL to see how soon before your flight you are able to check your luggage. Also, where are you planning on storing your carry-on bags?

When we flew to MIA from DTW (Detroit) in 2003 we had planned on leaving our winter jackets in a locker at the airport. After checking our luggage, we found that the lockers had been permanently closed due to tighter security after 9/11. Had to drag our winter jackets to Florida!

Maybe another CC Member with check in with info on this so you won't be surprised at the airport and stuck with your luggage.

I think we have settled on a plan. We'll take Carnivals transfer to FLL. Check our big bags. Store our carry on bags, then catch a taxi to the museum and catch the King Tut exhibit for the day.

Thank you to everyone who have been so helpful.

When Carnival air works it's great. When it doesn't????

I think another poster said it best, we give up a lot of control, and place a lot of trust in people who are told to save every dime they can. $10 or $15 dollars in their profit margin means 2-3 hours of airport wait time for us. Guess who wins. I promise not to spend an extra dollar with Carnival. They only way we can hit back is with our pocketbook.

If those of us who feel that we have been screwed by Carnival Air, is to persuade enough people to book their own flights and make their own arrangements. Keep control and keep your money.

Don't count on this plan working either. Generally you cannot check bags more than four hours prior to departure.

What we all need to realize is that the only way the airlines are going to survive is to either raise fares to levels that can support their business or else limit choices of planes and flight times. We are spoiled about air travel.

In order to get non-stop flights UNDER $200/pp we are flying into FLL at 11am 2 days ahead and flying out at 7:30pm. I could have paid more to get better flight times but why??? I'm not crazy about getting home on a Sunday nite so late but we'll have the whole day to relax after disembarking. With the money we saved in flights I booked a hotel room (with free airport shuttle) to relax in while we wait. A dip in the pool, a nice hot shower, a decent dinner (not a an airport gate!!) and we'll be ready to travel again!!!

Don't count on this plan working either. Generally you cannot check bags more than four hours prior to departure.

What we all need to realize is that the only way the airlines are going to survive is to either raise fares to levels that can support their business or else limit choices of planes and flight times. We are spoiled about air travel.

Very true, especially at FLL on a busy cruise day. They generally will not allow you to check in at the airport that many hours ahead.

Your best bet is probably either a rental car or post-cruise excursion with Carnival. With either one of those, you won't be carrying around your bags.

If there is no strike, we are booked on Northwest.

The Ft. Lauderdale airport web page talks about having lockers and being able to check carry on bags. But of course the info can still be wrong. I may break down and call this weekend. Even then your at the whim of the person answering the questions. You call get one answer, show up and get another.

One of our problems is that our ship the Valor returns to Miami, and of course we fly out of FLL. So not sure that the shore excursions would take us to FLL. I think they all say MIA.

Thanks to everyone for helping. Seems to be lots of interest.

One of our problems is that our ship the Valor returns to Miami, and of course we fly out of FLL.

A year ago we got off the ship in Miami and flew out of FLL. We took a taxi to the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Miami to pickup our rental car and enjoyed South Beach and drove up to FLL and dropped the car off (no oneway drop off charge) and took the shuttle to the airport and we were on our way. The rental may have been just a little more than the cost of a transfer, but we did it on our schedule and had a nice day. I wish I could remember the rental company, but I'm not sure. It was either Budget or Thrifty.

Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Some or all of the car rental companies don't provide a shuttle from the port to the airport in Miami. You have to take a taxi to the airport to pickup your car. That's why I chose to go with the company that had cars at the Sheraton hotel. I'll figure it out which company it was and get back to.

Later,

John

PS Hi neighbor (Leb., OR)

A year ago we got off the ship in Miami and flew out of FLL. We took a taxi to the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Miami to pickup our rental car and enjoyed South Beach and drove up to FLL and dropped the car off (no oneway drop off charge) and took the shuttle to the airport and we were on our way.

UPDATE: Well my intentions were honorable, but the hotel is no more.

See the following URL http://www.nbc6.net/news/5373363/detail.html

Later,

John

Archived