Bit of a Blog : B2B2B : SoA : embarking 20/01/22

NorbertsNiece

2 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Just overheard in queue for LFT testing. Words to the effect ..... you tested positive yesterday you must stay in your room.

🤦‍♀️

Line ahead of me unhappy regarding disinfecting of chairs sat in and PPE of medic who performed LFT on the couple.

Testing paused. Medic's PPE removed and she's seated waiting on a new set.

We were offered the opportunity to DIY but declined. Now tested and back in room.

I suppose that there are too many people who have tested positive to relocate them to Deck B.  This is where we were put when testing positive for covid on the SOD Caribbean cruise Jan/Feb.  We spent a total of 2.5 hours off the ship in a grey and murky Azores on the way back to Southampton. Not our idea of a dream 30 night island hopping  holiday of a lifetime (we had the Saga inclusive insurance).  I wish SAGA had even offered us a promise of a reply to our letter of complaint within 7 days let alone a refund of some kind.  I dread to think how many guests took Covid home with them.  There was so much coughing and sneezing during the last 3 or 4 days and no testing either before the last stop as Captain Kim said it wasn’t required for the Azores. Surely if they new there was Covid on board it would have been the responsible thing to do.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CeaJay said:

I suppose that there are too many people who have tested positive to relocate them to Deck B.  This is where we were put when testing positive for covid on the SOD Caribbean cruise Jan/Feb.  We spent a total of 2.5 hours off the ship in a grey and murky Azores on the way back to Southampton. Not our idea of a dream 30 night island hopping  holiday of a lifetime (we had the Saga inclusive insurance).  I wish SAGA had even offered us a promise of a reply to our letter of complaint within 7 days let alone a refund of some kind.  I dread to think how many guests took Covid home with them.  There was so much coughing and sneezing during the last 3 or 4 days and no testing either before the last stop as Captain Kim said it wasn’t required for the Azores. Surely if they new there was Covid on board it would have been the responsible thing to do.

Sorry that should have read D deck for isolation cabin

• Like 1

You make a good point CeaJay. On the SoA Norwegian cruise there was no ship wide testing at all after 13th Feb. Although the captain never made any announcements at all about the spread of Covid, it was clearly happening as there were numerous tannoy requests for selected people to return to their cabins and stay there until further notice, including ourselves. At least the new captain is being more honest.
On disembarkation day, due to our late arrival, the passengers were crowded into their allocated public rooms for many hours, surely encouraging further Covid spread amongst both themselves and the crew. Many people, again including ourselves, must have taken Covid home with them from the ship. Where was Saga’s duty of care? 
‘Cruise with confidence’ is the strap line on the brochures………not in our experience.

• Like 1

On disembarkation day we all had to stay in our cabins until our tag number was called.   A Bit frustrating as we had our own car and weren’t called until 11 AM. I had inadvertently packed one of our key cards and went to reception on the last evening for a replacement.  I was given a replacement but was told I wouldn’t need it for disembarkation.  They scanned both cards as we left……

• Like 1

Remaining in our cabins would have been more sensible as many were waiting in crowded conditions until 2-3-4pm. It seems that there was no clear plan to deal with what was unfolding on the Norway cruise, which must have impacted the I’ll fated Caribbean cruise.

• Like 2

We were tested about 6 times before we tested positive (asymptomatic).  Everyone was told to return to their cabin to wait for the result to be phoned through.  You would think there would be a consistent company wide covid testing protocol.

• Like 2

I think there are a lot of lessons to be learnt. 

First one , it's impossible to have zero or extremely low covid on a ship ,  numbers seem similiar or higher than UK.   

Thus don't even think about going to countries that demand less than1% covid , until covid is  almost out of circulation in UK.

Don't go to any country that wants to disembark positive cases.

All passengers must accept they are taking a risk , no port is guaranteed,  only guarantee should be good service, passengers and cruise line must share risk of significant change in  intinerary. 

Testing as you board , regular testing on the ship, may lower numbers a little bit but certainly doesn't stop the spread. In the end pretty futile, so stop them. Don't test a asymptomatic people.

Only test when necessary to leave ship. 

Only isolate positive cases , and for as little time as possible,  until they test negative

So Saga and other cruise lines must make up their mind , whether to live with Covid ,  as the UK is doing. Or stop cruising..

Have a hard think about masks, certainly in crowded lifts yes , everywhere ? . May be better to enforce numbers in venues and improve ventilation 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Given the nature of Covid,  a deep clean is not required, but a 7 day break for the crew would certainly be beneficial.   

Very true. The crew are either recovering from Covid, have Covid or have no doubt been working extra hard to cover the staff who are ill and isolating. I would doubt that SAGA will want to commit to any other cruises to ‘fill the 3 week gap’ once SOA returns until they are sure that the crew are all well and Covid has been cleared from the ship. 

• Like 1

I forgot to say that apart from making a big wrong strategic assumption that they could keep Covid below 1% by testing and isolation.

Saga seem to have behaved very well, in looking after passengers very well , promptly offering refund, all .credit to them

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kruzgal said:

Very true. The crew are either recovering from Covid, have Covid or have no doubt been working extra hard to cover the staff who are ill and isolating. I would doubt that SAGA will want to commit to any other cruises to ‘fill the 3 week gap’ once SOA returns until they are sure that the crew are all well and Covid has been cleared from the ship. 

It’s Impossible to clear it from the ship - or anywhere else for that matter - where there are people there will be covid.
New people coming on will bring some cases on as well.
Until it is treated as a mild illness and ignored (like in hotels) this scenario will always happen unfortunately.

20 days is a long time to leave the ship unused.

it’s not sustainable to operate with this constant testing and isolation etc.

Just go to places where testing is not required.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Until it is treated as a mild illness and ignored (like in hotels) this scenario will always happen unfortunately.

I think you are correct.

Despite all the precautions, Covid became endemic on this cruise, but seemingly no one was seriously ill. Perhaps it would have been wiser to do away with testing altogether,  and only visit those places that did not require negative tests. 

• Like 4

Sounds like a plan to me! I do agree with everything you are saying, but in the absence of this approach, removing Covid from the crew (albeit temporarily) by taking a break would seem sensible to me in terms of their health and welfare as well as reducing overall numbers on the ship. 

• Like 2

Day 45 / 67

Day 12 cruise to.....

Horta

Good morning and thanks for following. You're still here!!

We missed sail in this morning. We also missed the note on yesterday's Today that said put your clocks forward an hour and the little pillow card reminder as we didn't have our room serviced at our request 🤦‍♀️

Saw a crew member post elsewhere that they are serving more room service than tables but more crew have been returned to duty. Guys you are amazing, thank you so much for taking such good care of us!

There'll be an announcement shortly that we're cleared by local authorities to go ashore. I'd better get a move on!  

It's a bit drizzly out but warm. 0903

Fuel being taken on. 

Screenshot_20220304-230731_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.2c3551e4330a391fbbf6fb6ec395cd50.jpg

20220305_083435.thumb.jpg.ef68e78435114c7af49cf90e1e9b518f.jpg

20220305_083652.thumb.jpg.7e4e94eacdbf71b5613b825c304c48cd.jpg

Screenshot_20220305-083908_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.43afcdf6dcdab93c0711ab6e61aa723e.jpg

20220305_090217.thumb.jpg.c49bbf6ab17154e427506863a32d03c0.jpg

20220305_090251.thumb.jpg.63d57d0ad5bf9e9f01c1d7518f0d90b9.jpg

20220305_090232.thumb.jpg.5e8bbec59a7f883f912f7a6d7a2d21c1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why are Saga sailing with such a high percentage of passengers? (Money, clearly.) I also like Azamara and see tomorrow's sailing is expecting only 326 passengers, and previous departures have had around 250 or less. I would happily accept a refund for my next cruise to allow the remaining passengers more space.

Hi Linda

Thanks for the updates. 

Reading that you didn’t alter your clock reminded me that on a transatlantic (can’t remember which ship) the clocks were altered at mid-day.  It worked really well as guests and (probably more importantly) the crew, experienced no disruption to their sleep!

How are you doing at the quiz?

Brenda

3 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Hi Linda

Thanks for the updates. 

Reading that you didn’t alter your clock reminded me that on a transatlantic (can’t remember which ship) the clocks were altered at mid-day.  It worked really well as guests and (probably more importantly) the crew, experienced no disruption to their sleep!

How are you doing at the quiz?

Brenda

Oh that's an interesting difference! Quiz? Not great. Haven't been much this cruise. Can you name these films?

IMG-20220204-WA0009.thumb.jpg.934b97fd6dc12575f5ef7e817fd669bf.jpg

Elsewhere I have been called a 'pampered passenger ' with no thought for the crew. 

Shut in my room for 4 days is not pampering. Avoiding the company of others is not pampering. Having sticks, albeit gently, being stuck up my nose daily is not pampering.

Ok. Chocolates and fizzy Kentish wine are very nice and may be a bit pampering I'll give you that.

Being looked after is very nice but we've paid up front for this! Will be weeks before we're refunded (booked through a TA heaven help us!)

To intimate that I've no thought for the crew is ludicrous. You turned off comments on your post! And I thought we were friends!! 😘

• Like 2