Medano Beach

macfam5

Can someone tell me what are the directions to walk to Medano beach in Cabo from the cruise port ? How long is the walk approx?

If taking a water taxi, is it $10/ person each way or round trip ?

Best places to eat at Medano beach ?

Thanks in advance for the tips and advice

A water taxi that gives you a bay tour (Lover's Beach, the stinking sea lions and the Arch) before dropping you off at Medano Beach will cost about $10 pp.  A ride just to the beach should be less.

I know some of the people on this Forum are skilled with attaching maps, and can provide one showing how to walk around the Marina and out to the beach.  I don't have the know-how to import a map for you, but it is pretty simple and safe.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, macfam5 said:

Thank you for this 

When visiting these ports - do you use Pesos or US dollars ? 

You can pay with credit card at nearly every restaurant in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. In Mazatlan a small vendor such as the ferry to Stone Island will take US Dollars but won't make change so you may want to have some small bills. The pulmonias and taxis I am sure will take USD.

It probably isn't necessary for most people but in Cabo I walked to a bank ATM (CitiBanamex) on the way to the beach,  because I will likely travel back to Mexico in the future and I like to have a little cash on hand when I arrive. Don't use the standalone ATMs near the pier, though, they charge too much for commission fee. The fee at banamex was 30.74 pesos on top of the 2000 pesos I withdrew, my net exchange rate was a bit better than 20 pesos to the USD.  

Edited by mlgb

I paid for my cold water at the Oxxo in Cabo in Pesos so I could break a 500 note. Then I also paid for the water taxi to Stone Island in pesos. And a pastry in Mazatlan at Panama in pesos. Of course those are not tourist venues.  

Everything else was with a credit card. 

I try to pay all small charges with pesos.  If we are buying anything over US$100, we will use a credit card.  

I do not believe that locals prefer getting US$.  If I am running a small business, and someone wants to pay me in euros, what a pain in the neck that would be.  I can't pay my electric bill using euros.  I can't buy a burger at McD's using euros.  I would have to change those euros into US$ somehow.  Because US$ are so often used in the port cities, it is NOT a big deal for locals to exchange, but it is still an extra step for them.  

If I go grab a soda and chips at OXXO, their cash registers are set up for US$ as well as $MX, but I just simplify things by using $MX exclusively while ashore.

My bank pays virtually no interest at this time, so leaving a small amount of pesos in my drawer for my next cruise to Mexico costs me very little.  

• Like 1