Small Clebrity Ship vs. RCCL Voyager class ships

SarahSailsAgain

Getting ready to book my next cruise!!!! :) Big decisions though... previously I've cruised on the Navigator and the Mariner in the Voyager class on Royal Caribbean (absolutely loved them!!), but now we are looking to book a cruise on the Zenith (one of Celebrity's smallest ships). The reason for chosing the Zenith is because its a 10 day cruise and the date and price are right. I have big fears though that the smallness of the ship and it being fairly old will be reasons I do not like it. I did like the big ship atmosphere on the Voyager class and feel I might be missing out on something by taking a smaller ship. Anyone have any opinions on going from a large ship to a small ship? Or have been on the Zenith and have an opinion. Any feedback would be great!!! Thanks!!! :D

My family and I just returned from a smaller ship NCL Sun and had previously cruised with RCI on the voyager class ships. I will have to say we had a nice cruise but did notice the difference. Our kids especially noticed a difference as far as the activities and a lot less teenagers. There were probably a little more older people and from what I heard this is true for the smaller size ships. We did enjoy running into the same people almost every day and getting to know people a little better on this cruise. The entertainment was not quite as good and the poolside activities were lacking too. The cruise director really did not participate in the different activities during the day. We also liked having a specific waiter at dinner and felt the quality of food was better on RCI because it was assigned seating and not freestyle. All in all we had a nice cruise but decided we would definately go back to RCI and to a larger ship. The larger ship seems to offer more for all age groups but it is a little more money too. Hope this helps you.

Have been on 3 Voyager class ships and on Zenith twice. All were excellent and would not hesitate to go on any of them again. But, if I had to choose only one, I would probably chose Zenith. While service on RCI has always been good, on Zenith it is just a cut above, especially the wait staff. There was always plenty to do on Zenith, or do nothing and relax. One last thing -and I know I wll get flamed for this - but the Zenith just isn't as crowded. I don't care what loyal RCI fans say, the Voyager ships can, and do, get very crowded at certain venues. Have a fun and safe trip.

I would also choose the Zenith. I think that our favorite cruise was when we sailed the Horizon. The food and service were the best we have ever had, and we felt like we were part of a big family. The CD even knew me by name!

I have sailed on the Golden Princess, and really don't like the huge ships. Give me a smaller one any day.

Another nod for Zenith. The service is truly excellent and more personal, and you get more of a chance to socialize with your fellow passengers. Although there's no rock-climbing, ice skating, in-line skating, or specialty restaurant, there are still lots of activities for a savvy cruiser to enjoy. Also, a smaller ship affords a better "connection" with the sea and sailing experience.

Have fun planning and enjoy your cruise, whichever ship you choose. :)

Give one of the RCCL Radiance class ships a try... Radiance, Brilliance, Jewell of the Seas. Smaller than Voyager class and absolutely beautiful ships. We've done Horizon a few times, and every class RCCL ship from the Song of Norway thru Voyager class and we liked the Radiance class best.

i can't wait to try rccl radiance class !

i have cruised song of norway {small} sun and coral princess{med-lg} carnival legend {lg} and 2 rccl voyager class ships and they all had their merits ! ºÜº next is sovereign and i was alittle worried about the size being too small but ........... the price was right and the traveling company great !

guess i feel any cruise it great !

Have been on 3 Voyager class ships and on Zenith twice. All were excellent and would not hesitate to go on any of them again. But, if I had to choose only one, I would probably chose Zenith. While service on RCI has always been good, on Zenith it is just a cut above, especially the wait staff. There was always plenty to do on Zenith, or do nothing and relax. One last thing -and I know I wll get flamed for this - but the Zenith just isn't as crowded. I don't care what loyal RCI fans say, the Voyager ships can, and do, get very crowded at certain venues. Have a fun and safe trip.

Hi, FloridaGator...we are neighbors, I am In Jax too. You should

not be flamed for stating a FACT.....I totally agree with you by

the way. It is a fact...Zenith only holds 1350 people. Don't the Voyager

class ships hold somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 people?

I sailed Zenith for the first time earlier this month and LOVED her.

So much so, I found a Happy Hour price for April 13th....and I am

going back then!

If a person is a "BIG SHIP" cruiser, then they might think Zenith

is too small. (that is just an opinion). I love the smaller ships.

Then again I sail solo and make my own activities:) In other

words, I don't always have to be "doing something". Reading a book,

with a drink at the Marina bar is good to me.

I think it really depends on the person and what they are looking for

but for me, I give a BIG THUMBS UP to Zenith.

Oh, for the OP...the ship is 46,000 tons and the dining room

is only 1 level. (just to give you some idea about her set up).

I have traveled on both the Zenith and 2 of the Voyager class ships. There is no comparison. It will be an experience for you. The Zenith is beautiful, and it does have it's nice points, but if you loved the Voyager class and big is where it is at for you...I have my doubts. On the good side the cabins are a tiny bit bigger...and so are the bathrooms. But no balconys. The food is much better on the Zenith and I believe there are more choices...but no speciality restaurants, no dinner and no skating rink, no rock wall and no promanard. I personally prefer smaller ships, but if you are a big ship fan...you may not be happy.

I always say match the ship to your personality. The big ships give you a lot of WOW factor but if you're not skating, rock climbing etc., they add little value to your vacation other than eye candy.

What facilities are you actually using when you cruise?

Are you traveling with children that would enjoy all those activities?

As two middle aged active adults, sans kids, we would have no qualms what so ever traveling Cel. I have several friends who insist CEL is the only way to go!

It's like trying to compare fruit; they may both fall in the fruit category, but you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

They're different. As they were meant to be, so that there is something for everyone out there.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail Cel but check what facilities each ship offers and what you'll actually make use of. That will give you a better idea of which ship caters to your likes and personality.

Archived