cruise insurance for large group

WindinmySails

So I want to make sure that we are all covered in our group.  There are six of us,  4 in our 60s, one 70 and one 90 years old.  Three of us have cancer as well.  So, I was wondering how would the best way to purchase insurance.  Together, separately?  Do we all have to have one cruise reservation? This would be a trip as a gift to my husband's father, but of course no one can tell what will go on between now and September.  

6 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

So I want to make sure that we are all covered in our group.  There are six of us,  4 in our 60s, one 70 and one 90 years old.  Three of us have cancer as well.  So, I was wondering how would the best way to purchase insurance.  Together, separately?  Do we all have to have one cruise reservation? This would be a trip as a gift to my husband's father, but of course no one can tell what will go on between now and September.  

I strongly second the suggestion to contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them; you have very specific needs.  The online summaries won't capture it all.
We've used them for quite a few trips and have had several claims, including some large ones.

You will probably want to start the coverage within 10-20 days of the very first payment, even if refundable, so do call them asap.  That will give you the best choice of policies.

Enjoy your trip!

GC

• Thanks 1

If you want coverage for all of you if something happens to one of you then you need to get insurance together. 

Yes depending on the insurance you might still qualify as a traveling party with separate plans, and if you're all related that could help too, but my family likes not having to question it. If we're all on the same policy - if one can't go then we're all covered. 

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Insurance will be by individual booking. It is not done as a group. The whole group may get their insurance policy from the same place. However, if something happened with Booking #1, Booking #2 and #3 are not affected by #1 if that makes sense.

My understanding from dealing with this situation is that the above is not necessarily correct, at least for some policies.  This is why it is *so* important to speak with a travel insurance broker who can help with policies from several insurers to find what works best for *your* particular needs.

GC

51 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

My understanding from dealing with this situation is that the above is not necessarily correct, at least for some policies.  This is why it is *so* important to speak with a travel insurance broker who can help with policies from several insurers to find what works best for *your* particular needs.

GC

Insurance will cover no part of any trip that is refunded by the seller. Even though Part 1 of the trip is canceled and refunded by the cruise line, there is no insurance company that would cover Part 2 of the trip if it sails. I beg you to find an insurance policy that will. This is not booking a 14-day cruise. It is booking 2 separate 1-week cruises. If the cruise line did not offer refund or FCC for the first part, insurance would be the next policy for reimbursement. The second week of the cruise is not dependent on the first week cruise. You will get a very rude awakening if you think insurance will cover something that was voluntarily thrown away. And if you never had to fight with an insurance company before, wait until you do. Compensation is nowhere close to what you think it is. 

But, I will leave it to you to argue. And there is no sense arguing it until YOU have gone through it. I have on several occasions and you will be shocked at the legal responsibilities within any of the agreements. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Insurance will cover no part of any trip that is refunded by the seller. Even though Part 1 of the trip is canceled and refunded by the cruise line, there is no insurance company that would cover Part 2 of the trip if it sails. I beg you to find an insurance policy that will. This is not booking a 14-day cruise. It is booking 2 separate 1-week cruises. If the cruise line did not offer refund or FCC for the first part, insurance would be the next policy for reimbursement. The second week of the cruise is not dependent on the first week cruise. You will get a very rude awakening if you think insurance will cover something that was voluntarily thrown away. And if you never had to fight with an insurance company before, wait until you do. Compensation is nowhere close to what you think it is. 

But, I will leave it to you to argue. And there is no sense arguing it until YOU have gone through it. I have on several occasions and you will be shocked at the legal responsibilities within any of the agreements. 

Wow.  Just wow.

What you are describing (insurance that WOULD be collected to cover part of any trip that is refunded) would, in my mind, be insurance fraud.  And I never addressed double collecting in any way.  Full stop!

What I addressed was your comment, that I quoted directly, that "However, if something happened with Booking #1, Booking #2 and #3 are not affected by #1 if that makes sense."

It is indeed possible, at least with SOME insurer/policies, to have coverage such that if something happened with Booking the FIRST group, then there *would* be coverage for Booking the SECOND group, etc.   

And this is what OP was asking about.... whether they had to all get the trip on one reservation or all be on the same insurance policy ("together" or "separately").

Neither were OP nor I discussing sequential trips.  I understood that they wanted to ALL travel TOGETHER, on the same trip. 

I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea about collecting insurance for something that was not a loss, which would be the case if someone was reimburse/refunded/etc.

This is what I quoted of yours and was responding to:

6 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Insurance will be by individual booking. It is not done as a group. The whole group may get their insurance policy from the same place. However, if something happened with Booking #1, Booking #2 and #3 are not affected by #1 if that makes sense.

Where are sequential trips or trying to get double payments (fraud) mentioned by you, either?  Where did those issues come from before your most recent comment that I quoted in this reply? 

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
correcting grammar
  • Like 1

Definitely talk to an insurance agent, but I believe you can all be covered on the same policy. If you haven't booked the trip yet, figure out the insurance first. For preexisting conditions coverage, your options on policies will be greater if you book the insurance within a day or two of putting a deposit down. There are only a few policies that allow it up until final payment. Also, I think all policies require getting the insurance within a few days of booking for cancel for any reason coverage.