corkage fees

disneykins

Haven't thought about this in a while. If we bring wine onboard, what is the corkage fee and when do we pay it? We are B2B2B and want to bring on a special bottle for our middle cruise (anniversary). There was a time they would confiscate it and return it at the end of the cruise. Then we would have it in the cabin at the start of the second cruise. Can we still do this, or do they charge you corkage when boarding?

What about if we buy a bottle in the islands on cruise #1, they confiscate it but give it back on last night so we have it for DIY cocktails on the balcony on cruise #2 & 3? We are on the Escape in February and don't have the booze package on any of the cruises.

Thanks,

Tony

Per the online policy

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/policies-medical

You are charge the corkage fee when you board with the wine.  You must declare what you are bringing on board and they will charge your account at that moment.  
Don”t try sneaking it on board or you will be called to the principal”s office 😜

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.
750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD
1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

* Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian's Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian's alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation.

Edited by JandC_Cruising

4 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

FWIW, I just returned from a B2B on the Bliss.  The bottle I bought on the 1st leg wasn't returned to me until the end of the 2nd leg.  YMMV.

That's what I was afraid of, lol. I know its worked in the past. Our B2Bs are different reservation numbers and different cabins, I wonder if that makes a difference?

44 minutes ago, disneykins said:

That's what I was afraid of, lol. I know its worked in the past. Our B2Bs are different reservation numbers and different cabins, I wonder if that makes a difference?

My B2B was 2 different booking numbers, but no cabin change.  When I went to guest services on the 1st day of the 2nd leg to get updated cards, I actually saw my bottle on the back counter.  And when it hadn't been returned on the last day of the 2nd leg, I went to guest services to see where it was, and they retrieved it from the back office for me.

For a special occasion, to ensure you have the bottle, just pay the corkage fee up front -- if they see you bringing it on board.  The way it is supposed to work -- as you pass through security, your handheld bags (with the wine in it) are scanned and quickly observed by security personnel.  They are supposed to see your wine and direct you to a staffed table for corkage processing.  The person at the table inspects your bottle and makes sure it's not something like whiskey (which isn't permitted to be carried on).  If they approve, they write down your name, cabin #, etc.  They put a sticker on the bottle indicating that corkage has been paid.  You then board with your bottle.  Usually about on day 2 of your cruise, the corkage fee will be added to your onboard account and it usually shows as a bar purchase, but sometimes a restaurant purchase.  It's not usually been labeled as "corkage" in the past.  You're good to go.

Sometimes, the way it works -- as you pass through security, they may or may not be interested in your bottle (not every one is a good worker).  Or they may notice it, and point you to a table that is not currently staffed for some reason (I've had that happen -- be one of the first on board to increase your odds, hahaha).  If that's the case, you just gather your bags and proceed on to the ship.  Note, you will not have the magical sticker on your bottle.  It is possible, but unlikely, that an employee may notice this if you bring the bottle to dinner or a bar with you.  Theoretically, they could ask for your card to process the corkage payment.  I doubt that would ever happen.  It certainly won't happen if you have your drinks in your room or don't flaunt your bottle around crew.

On our second to last Bliss cruise day,  in Ensenada, they let a bottle of wine purchased there pass through the scanner without diverting me to pay a corkage fee.

Our tour guide mentioned that sometimes multiple bottles of Tequila have been known to make it through the scanner, depending on the personnel.

Last time we did this (3019) we declared the bottles when boarding, paid $15/bottle corkage fee, they put stickers on the bottles indicating we had paid the fee,  and gave them back to us, then we had them in the room and could consume them there or take them to any restaurant or bar. Not sure how it would work on a B2B if you’re not drinking them on the first leg though. 

9 hours ago, disneykins said:

Haven't thought about this in a while. If we bring wine onboard, what is the corkage fee and when do we pay it? We are B2B2B and want to bring on a special bottle for our middle cruise (anniversary). There was a time they would confiscate it and return it at the end of the cruise. Then we would have it in the cabin at the start of the second cruise. Can we still do this, or do they charge you corkage when boarding?

What about if we buy a bottle in the islands on cruise #1, they confiscate it but give it back on last night so we have it for DIY cocktails on the balcony on cruise #2 & 3? We are on the Escape in February and don't have the booze package on any of the cruises.

Thanks,

Tony

We celebrated an Anniversary on one of our cruises and we were given a card that gave us a complimentary bottle for our special day. We just added the date when we purchased the cruise.