Aft vs. Fore

Twitchly

We got a PV1 guaranteed room for our upcoming cruise because the other PVs were sold out. Just got our assignment today, and we’re in an aft room on deck 5. Looking at the layout for deck 5, I note that PV2s are fore and PV1s are aft. What’s the difference? Why would aft rooms be considered preferable?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

We got a PV1 guaranteed room for our upcoming cruise because the other PVs were sold out. Just got our assignment today, and we’re in an aft room on deck 5. Looking at the layout for deck 5, I note that PV2s are fore and PV1s are aft. What’s the difference? Why would aft rooms be considered preferable?

Fwd cabins are more susceptible to bow slamming in a significant seaway and when anchoring, you can experience vibration and/or noise from the anchor. They also have 2 bow thrusters, but only 1 stern thruster. The ship rotates longitudinally about the longitudinal CoG, so as the bow goes up, the stern goes down, but in a seaway, the range of movement of the bow is often more than that experienced by the stern.

Aft cabins also have potential cons, especially at high speed and in following seas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Additionally to Andy's excellent answer, Viking Ocean ships seem to produce little to no vibration aft in the restaurant.  Aft on 5 deck should be very vibration free.  Aft you might hear slight noise from the boats being launched but only then as 5 deck is very quiet.  Also aft balconies suffer less, in most cases, from wind.  Pretty sure we would love to upgrade (for free of course) to a PV1.🍸

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I’m glad you were able to book another cruise Twitchly. We are aft on deck 5 in May on Jupiter in a PV1. We are very much looking forward to cruising with Viking again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, millybess said:

I’m glad you were able to book another cruise Twitchly. We are aft on deck 5 in May on Jupiter in a PV1. We are very much looking forward to cruising with Viking again. 

Thanks! We are too. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about your aft cabin on deck 5 after your cruise. 

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Additionally to Andy's excellent answer, Viking Ocean ships seem to produce little to no vibration aft in the restaurant.  Aft on 5 deck should be very vibration free.  Aft you might hear slight noise from the boats being launched but only then as 5 deck is very quiet.  Also aft balconies suffer less, in most cases, from wind.  Pretty sure we would love to upgrade (for free of course) to a PV1.🍸

Very interesting. Sounds like we lucked out, then.

Now I’m wondering if planes are also bumpier in the front than in the back, or if, as Andy says with ships, it depends on the circumstances …

• Like 1

We've been in DVs...4100 area, once 3 or 4 cabins from the aft, and we've been very happy, even crossing the Bay of Biscay and the Tasman Sea. To us, forward felt more motion (I think Andy will attest to that from his World Cruise) We are lucky, cross fingers, don't get seasick. Sat in the Explorers Lounge watching the up and down of the ship. Much more than our cabin. 

• Like 1

We have been in fore PV1 cabins twice (6010 & 6007). One was for 38 days when we crossed  the Bering Sea from Vancouver to Hong Kong and we had no issues with motion despite some rough sea days.

In fact, we liked being just below the Explorer's Lounge (one deck up) and above the theatre, spa and fitness center (5 decks down).   Used the stairs and got around easily... very convenient location.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:45 PM, Mich3554 said:

Our last 2 cruises in a PV1 has been in 5089 and 5091.  Both rooms are towards aft and these are our preferred rooms in this section, on this deck.

What makes you prefer these rooms and this deck? Lack of movement?

14 hours ago, Twitchly said:

What makes you prefer these rooms and this deck? Lack of movement?

I think it is because it is towards an area of the ship where there is less traffic unless you have a cabin there.  Movement on the ship doesn’t bother either of us too much.  I like being a little higher up too, to watch us coming into or leaving port from the balcony.  

• Like 1