Greenland

KS&JW

Thinking about a cruise that has stops in Greenland.  I have learned my lesson that ports that are anchored and not docked are especially iffy (ie Easter Island).  Those who have cruised to Greenland, did you make your scheduled  ports? 

1 minute ago, KS&JW said:

Thinking about a cruise that has stops in Greenland.  I have learned my lesson that ports that are anchored and not docked are especially iffy (ie Easter Island).  Those who have cruised to Greenland, did you make your scheduled  ports? 

No!

Icebergs in the Sound blocked us from circling from Iceland.

We cruised Iceland in August of 2019 and made all 3 ports - Nuuk, Nanortalik and Qaqortoq.    Loved the cruise.  Very sparsely populated.  I did hikes in each stop (total of all 3 was 26 miles).  Each hike was totally different.

We left from NYC to Halifax and then Greenland.

KS&JW, hi California neighbors. We did the Transatlantic beginning in September from Southampton to Reykjavik and then on to NYC and it was a fabulous trip. If you start or end in Iceland, you must book a good number of days to tour Iceland, at least 4. It is so different and awesome. 
Ciao,

Mauibabes

We also did Greenland and Iceland on Oceania a few years ago and made all the stops. It was absolutely worth it. In Nuuk they were having the canoe games which were fun to watch. We also took a boat excursion we bought in Nuuk after we got off the ship that went up through the icebergs to the glaciers..it was was spectacular. We were fortunate to get excellent weather all the time we were in Greenland and Iceland (it was the middle of July). In Iceland we hired a couple of different private Jeep tours (one with oversized tires that allowed to to fjord rivers). Both allowed us to see the Iceland you see in nature films but not on bus tours. 

BTW, like you we missed Easter Island because we could not tender in with the large waves. 

We went to Greenland on a HAL cruise in  July 2019.  Had a great guided talk through Prins Christian Sund, and a good visit to Qaqortoq.  The General Store was an interesting spot to see.    Didn't make it into our second port because of thick fog and the risk of ice bergs.

Tendering was required.

P1080214.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

P1080227.JPG

On Oceania Nautica in July 2012, our scheduled stop in Tasiilaq was cancelled because of dense fog. Fortunately, the next day the fog lifted just as we approached Prins Christian Sund, giving us impressive views during that passage. The following day, clear weather met us at our successful Qaqortoq stop.

10 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

We were scheduled for Nanortalik and then Qaqortog.

Weather was not suitable at Nanortalik so we went on to Qaqortog that same day as it is close by.

We got ashore OK there, and also into Nanortalik the next day.

Nanortalik was my favourite of the two stops.

Same for us summer of 2019 - loved Qagortog!