As a Canadian cruising in March, do I have things planned correctly? (COVID)

Spire2000

I know there is a treasure trove of info already published, but searching has led to some outdated info in some cases. Therefore, please indulge me as I work through my plan, step-by-step.

1. Flying from Canada in March to Orlando. I have booked travel antigen COVID tests for the family at Shopper's the evening before we leave. These are necessary to enter the US via air.
    1. If these tests are positive and we cannot travel, what does HAL offer?
  2. Staying for a few days in the Orlando area, then driving to Ft Lauderdale. Somewhere, somehow, we need to get another antigen test before we board. I'm struggling on how and where we do this. Can I drive through a Wal-Mart on the way to Ft Lauderdale? Do they test Canadians?
    1. Is these tests are positive and we can't board the ship, what does HAL offer?
  3. Following the cruise, we need negative PCR tests to return to Canada via air. I understand HAL is performing these tests for passengers. Can anyone confirm?
    1. If these tests are positive, what does HAL do with you?

I understand the possibility of a positive test at any stage can result in trouble. I have COVID travel insurance so I'm not so much concerned about the money, more so the actual logistics and procedures.

Thanks in advance.

This is the FAQ:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

And this is the "what happesn if I test positive" answer:

"Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will not be permitted to board, together with their family members and close contacts, and should not travel to the ship.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit as defined in our COVID-19 Protection Policy."

Unless your flights are booked through Flight Ease, you'll have to see what the remedies are through your airline.  AND if you do test positve, in Florida, you should quarantine in Florida.  Being a Canadian, I don't know what their quarantine reuqirements are.  I believe 5 days?

L.

13 minutes ago, leerathje said:

This is the FAQ:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

And this is the "what happesn if I test positive" answer:

"Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will not be permitted to board, together with their family members and close contacts, and should not travel to the ship.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit as defined in our COVID-19 Protection Policy."

Unless your flights are booked through Flight Ease, you'll have to see what the remedies are through your airline.  AND if you do test positve, in Florida, you should quarantine in Florida.  Being a Canadian, I don't know what their quarantine reuqirements are.  I believe 5 days?

L.

Thanks. The FAQ has some answers, but not others. Appreciate the info though.

1 hour ago, Spire2000 said:

Staying for a few days in the Orlando area, then driving to Ft Lauderdale. Somewhere, somehow, we need to get another antigen test before we board. I'm struggling on how and where we do this.

Don't know when you arrive in FLL, but here is a place some have used in FLL - no appointments - first come, first served

Lab Doctor, 954-530-4447, open 8AM-5:30PM, 1427-A SE 17th St, FLL, Antigen Test with same day results, $49

Others have mentioned a Walgreens or CVS near the port.

• Like 1

HAL does provide testing on arrival, but it's done at the terminal upon disembarkation. We were on a holiday cruise out of San Diego. We waited for over an hour in line outside, as there were lots of people who required testing. The tests were done by a contractor, some kind of a private medical company/lab. They were giving both antigen tests for those B2B cruisers, and PCR for Canadians who had to fly. We had to tell them we needed PCR, as they did not ask.

After the test was done, we had to wait for about 30 or 40 minutes for results. Others had to wait for over an hour, and someone was complaining that they were waiting for almost two hours, not sure why. Our test results were negative, so we got our paper copies and left.  We got off the ship around 9 am, and left the terminal building at around 11:30 am. Our flight was the following morning at 7 am.

I am not sure what the process would be in FLL, but assume something similar. I would advise against early afternoon flights, as the testing process may take a few hours based on our experience. I cannot answer to your question on what happens if you test positive. I guess we were lucky, but we were very careful during the cruise. We were also selected to be tested upon arrival in Canada, and those results were negative as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t provide any answers to the “what if positive” discussions, but the FAQ posted seems to give answers.  Regarding testing, there are community testing sites in Orlando (https://www.orangecountyfl.net/EmergencySafety/Coronavirus/Testing.aspx#.YfBxqy9ya-o) and there is also a City of Orlando testing site.  I have visited the county ones back in Nov and at Xmas, the City one is new,  it assume it is similar. They are drive up and test in your car locations.  They are free and no appointment needed.  But you need to create an account for each person and on the day you are going, you need indicate your intention to be tested that day.  The antegin tests came back in about 15 mins by text notification with printout in the webpage account.

The description of testing given above by Chelseaprincess was my experience in the setup in FLL as well in November coming off the N Amsterdam.  We did not have as many people waiting for testing so we were quite quick for our PCR test.  As a note, if you are heading back to Orlando post cruise, the same testing sites also do PCR tests.

I know that other Florida counties also have free testing sites too similar to Orange County, just google them.

Edited by Djb4CC
  • Like 1