Traveling with prescription medications

Maximillian45

It has been a while since we have traveled internationally and in that time we have picked up more than a few prescriptions. We are on the Northern Lights trip so need to carry 13 days worth of medications plus 2 weeks in case of quarantine. Most of our bottles are huge 90 day ones and would take up most of a carry-on bag. Is it possible to travel with them in baggies with the label from the bottle stuck on?

suggest you carry a list of all of your prescriptions including drug name and strength.

Also include your Dr name and full contract info.

We carry 3 copies; I carry a set in purse; hubby carries a set in day pack and there is a set in our carry luggage.

Taking an extra 2 weeks is a good plan.

• Like 3

Remember that if your bags are searched for some reason you will have to explain what you are carrying and have a doctors letter and prescription. If it is not clear to customs what the pills are, and they are not in the original packaging they will be siezed and you may end up subject to legal proceedings. 

I have medication that is illegal to have in the UK without being able to produce a valid prescription. 

Basic rule, declare medication, keep in original packaging, have a doctors letter and valid prescription. 

European countries are interested, most times you won't be asked, but do you want to risk it. Even over the counter meds can be illegal in other countries. 

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Sure it's possible
I have several and I carry them in a daily dispenser with no labels. Europe doesn't care.

Not true. If challenged or selected for a search you will have to justify what you are carrying and provide evidence of what it is. Best case, confiscation, worst case, prison. Rules about what is allowed/quantities vary from country to country. 

Not worth the risk. Paperwork and proper packaging prevents a lot of hassle 

2 hours ago, Maximillian45 said:

It has been a while since we have traveled internationally and in that time we have picked up more than a few prescriptions. We are on the Northern Lights trip so need to carry 13 days worth of medications plus 2 weeks in case of quarantine. Most of our bottles are huge 90 day ones and would take up most of a carry-on bag. Is it possible to travel with them in baggies with the label from the bottle stuck on?

Can you get them in blister packs? I take mine out of the cartons, then fold them flat. Elastic band around. Result, medication with original packaging.

In Europe medication typically is in blister packs or bottles of a month's supply. 

When we travel my carry on bag is nothing but medication etc. KBs dad has the other essentials in his. Non essential stuff is in the cases in the hold. 

Never had a challenge or search about my prescription medications and numerous supplements in any country. My prescriptions are usually in original packaging but supplements are in daily pill pockets. And I’ve traveled all over the world since 1976. Sometimes I will bring a doctor’s prescription in the event of loss or theft. But I make sure not to bring CBD oil!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Never had a challenge or search about my prescription medications and numerous supplements in any country. My prescriptions are usually in original packaging but supplements are in daily pill pockets. And I’ve traveled all over the world since 1976. Sometimes I will bring a doctor’s prescription in the event of loss or theft. But I make sure not to bring CBD oil!

I've never been challenged either, but it is not worth the risk, just for the sake of two bits of paper and some bottles or packets. Am thinking particularly when covid may mean ending up somewhere unplanned, that may have stricter laws. A few pills for the days excursion are different than the fortnight supply you may take ashore if quarantined. 

A bit pessimistic, but plan for the worst, hope for the best, unlikely to have a major problem anywhere

• Like 1

Doctor's letter is unfamiliar in US--not even sure what that is?

I have travelled to probably 25 countries in the last 12 years and never had any issues with prescription or OTC meds not in original container.

But I understand if you are cautious, and perhaps you are going to more risky countries.

With COVID, and the risk of quarantine in another country, we take our prescriptions in their original bottles  to make sure we have at least 2 weeks extra as well as our MD contact info if we need a refill.

We never pack any meds, prescription or OTC, in checked luggage. It all goes in our carryons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Doctor's letter is unfamiliar in US--not even sure what that is?

I have travelled to probably 25 countries in the last 12 years and never had any issues with prescription or OTC meds not in original container.

But I understand if you are cautious, and perhaps you are going to more risky countries.

With COVID, and the risk of quarantine in another country, we take our prescriptions in their original bottles  to make sure we have at least 2 weeks extra as well as our MD contact info if we need a refill.

We never pack any meds, prescription or OTC, in checked luggage. It all goes in our carryons.

Doctors letter is basically a letter 'to whom it may concern' confirming that what you are carrying is medically required, and that they prescribed it. Usually required along with a copy of the prescription in countries where what you are carrying needs to be declared. 

OTC meds usually are so mild nobody cares, as long as they can be identified and their composition is listed. Something with the same name can have different formulations in different markets. OTC in one can be prescription or controlled in another

Even if medications can be taken into a country without declaration, there is often a requirement to be able to produce paperwork if asked to do so. 

We operate a belt and braces approach to travel documents. If it might be needed we make sure we have it. Has saved us a lot of hassle over the years. 

Would be interested to hear stories from visitors to Europe who had problems with regular not cannabis prescriptions. 

For those concerned there is a simple solution. Save your last empty prescription bottles before cruising. Then put just 2,3 weeks whatever # pills in those empty plastic bottles leaving your 90 day supply or so at home. Those bottles display the prescription description.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

Written prescriptions??? I have not seen a paper prescription in 5 or 6 years.  All prescriptions are sent directly from Dr office to pharmacy by computer links.

In the UK they can be paper or electronic, I ask for a paper copy to travel with. Dosage amounts and timings are on, so I can prove that what I am carrying is for personal use. Sometimes long trips put me in 'possession with intent to supply' quantities.