I MAY SPEND 11 MORE DAYS IN U.S.?

susan1957

I believe you will find that technically, you can also return to Canada as soon as you can show a negative test. If you test positive just before your intended return, and then, say, test negative a week later, then you can fly home. So the short answer to your question is NO, the 11 day rule is not firm and fixed. Also, from what I've been reading on various board posts, the word "Quarantine" is interpreted pretty loosely south of the border, so I doubt you would be locked into a hotel room for the duration unless you wanted to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

I believe you will find that technically, you can also return to Canada as soon as you can show a negative test. If you test positive just before your intended return, and then, say, test negative a week later, then you can fly home. So the short answer to your question is NO, the 11 day rule is not firm and fixed. Also, from what I've been reading on various board posts, the word "Quarantine" is interpreted pretty loosely south of the border, so I doubt you would be locked into a hotel room for the duration unless you wanted to be.

Do you have the technical wording?  I was under the impression that you could face a fine if you return to Canada before the 11th day.  I thought the wording was updated to confirm that. 

When I go to the government website and check to see if I can enter Canada. If I choose I am a Canadian citizen who has had a positive test or having symptoms and choose flying I get this:

You will not be able to board a public flight to come to Canada until:

• 15 days have passed or
  • you present a medical certificate confirming that your symptoms are not related to COVID-19

When you are able to enter, you will need to follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep Canadians safe, particularly given the new COVID-19 variants in Canada and around the world.

If I choose the same but select by land, I get this. 

Based on your answers, you won’t be turned away at the land border, but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges).

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR,
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada

Which is contradictory and confusing. 

ETA - I assumed the 15 days for the flight will change on January 15th to 11 like the land border. 
Edited by 1kaper

40 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Do you have the technical wording?  I was under the impression that you could face a fine if you return to Canada before the 11th day.  I thought the wording was updated to confirm that. 

How would the CBSA even know that you had once tested positive? If you present yourself at the border with a negative test, having used said test result to even get on the airplane to fly home, that's all they would need to know.  Also, FWIW, I had a chat with a CBSA agent, admittedly a few months ago, on this very subject. We were planning for our late November trip out of PE and I was somewhat paranoid about what would happen if either of us tested positive right before flying home. He was the one who pointed out to me that if you have a negative COVID test result of the proper type, that's all they need to see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

How would the CBSA even know that you had once tested positive? If you present yourself at the border with a negative test, having used said test result to even get on the airplane to fly home, that's all they would need to know.  Also, FWIW, I had a chat with a CBSA agent, admittedly a few months ago, on this very subject. We were planning for our late November trip out of PE and I was somewhat paranoid about what would happen if either of us tested positive right before flying home. He was the one who pointed out to me that if you have a negative COVID test result of the proper type, that's all they need to see.

You are correct, they wouldn't know.  Whether or not someone is ok with not telling them is another story. Technically you would be breaking the law, but it would be hard for them to prove.  I'll put that aside. 

So if you test positive in the US, the options are 
- Stay the 11 days you are required (I am assuming that will change on January 15th from the15 days). Show the 11 day old positive test to return home
- Take more tests during those 11 days to get a negative PCR test and return home when that is obtained. Do not tell Border Services or answer the ArriveCan question that you have had a positive test in the preceding 11 days.
Since it is possible to test positive on a PCR test for a few weeks after infection, that may or may not happen.  
And you also have to factor in whether you can get those tests done for free or not. 

Technically you could return home.  But you should be prepared to stay the 11 days in case you don't get a positive test. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

"You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 15 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days ago)."

If your positive test is after your negative test, you might have issues (Aside from moral issues, they would probably never find out), but if you have a positive test, then a negative test 3 days later, you are good to come home.  These are PCR tests, so that is probably rare, but possible.

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

Please sum this up with a YES or NO...If I test positive on my return to Canada PCR test....I have to isolate in the U.S. FOR 11 DAYS....

You only have to isolate in the US for 5 days.  You just can't return to Canada for 11 days.  I guess that is a NO 🙂

Edited by CKCruising
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

"You must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada OR proof of a previous positive test result taken between 15 and 180 days ago (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days ago)."

If your positive test is after your negative test, you might have issues (Aside from moral issues, they would probably never find out), but if you have a positive test, then a negative test 3 days later, you are good to come home.  These are PCR tests, so that is probably rare, but possible.

Thanks. 

How frustrating there are different answers on the government sites.  When you do the "am I eligible to travel" page, it specifically says not to come until 15 days after. 

There are multiple threads discussing this, but the short answer is yes.

We are leaving for our cruise out of LA tomorrow and are prepared for this scenario if by some chance we test positive at the end. Insurance, flights that can be changed at N/C, etc. 

7 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Thanks. 

How frustrating there are different answers on the government sites.  When you do the "am I eligible to travel" page, it specifically says not to come until 15 days after. 

Further down on the same page, it seems to be clearer (although it says two different things...lol):

Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 15 days before arriving (starting January 15, 2022, 11 days) will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

• Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada

This says to postpone your travel until you have a negative result (which is opposite what it says in the paragraph above - don't cross for 11 days)

Edited by CKCruising

10 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

There are multiple threads discussing this, but the short answer is yes.

We are leaving for our cruise out of LA tomorrow and are prepared for this scenario if by some chance we test positive at the end. Insurance, flights that can be changed at N/C, etc. 

Which I have been following.  And thought the answer was yes. 

But it really isn't.  Sort of.  😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, susan1957 said:

Please sum this up with a YES or NO...If I test positive on my return to Canada PCR test....I have to isolate in the U.S. FOR 11 DAYS....

False. Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and some others will be permitted to enter. Some debate on likelihood, but fines of CA$5,000 + fees per person in party are possible.

There is no contradiction in the material on the GOC website. One does have to read fully, carefully, and literally.

The entry wizard is quite helpful, https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

False. Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and some others will be permitted to enter. Some debate on likelihood, but fines of CA$5,000 + fees per person in party are possible.

There is no contradiction in the material on the GOC website. One does have to read fully, carefully, and literally.

The entry wizard is quite helpful, https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start.

I used the entry wizard.  If you are flying, it IS contradictory.  I copied and pasted above what it said. 

"You will not be able to board a public flight to come to Canada until:

• 15 days have passed"

Driving is different. 

But as pointed out above, there are other places where it says I can come to Canada by air. 

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

...There is no contradiction in the material on the GOC website. One does have to read fully, carefully, and literally....

What I posted above is contradictory and on the same page

"Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result."

"If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR"

The first quote says wait 11 days.  The second quote says I can come back after any time with a negative test.

ETA - the difference is one is by air and one is by land. 

Although the land one speaks to by air as well. Which gives conflicting information.   

4 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

What I posted above is contradictory and on the same page

"Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result."

"If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR"

The first quote says wait 11 days.  The second quote says I can come back after any time with a negative test.

I was just about to post because I re-read that. 
When I do the entry wizard, I do not get that.  It simply says I cannot enter. 
it says with symptoms but the question is have you tested positive in the past 15 days or have symptoms. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.11.49 AM.png

Edited by 1kaper

7 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I was just about to post because I re-read that. 
When I do the entry wizard, I do not get that.  It simply says I cannot enter. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.11.49 AM.png

Unfortunately, the segment you have quoted highlights the problems that they are experiencing with maintaining the website. Here we are, almost 2 weeks past the date when they changed from a 15-day wait period to an 11-day wait period, yet the wizard is still telling people that they must wait 15 days.

All of the related travel.gc.ca webpages are in dire need of a rewrite and consolidation. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen while the underlying policy itself is still in a state of flux. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will not be able to fill out the arrivecan app until the 11th day or you have a negative PCR test as the app will not let you move forward to the next screen.  I didn't think it was possible to test negative for months after you test positive.  Just from what I have seen, I have no experience with positive covid tests.

29 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

ETA - the difference is one is by air and one is by land. 

Although the land one speaks to by air as well. Which gives conflicting information.   

The spot I quoted is for either, it's just pre-entry test requirements.

The only difference between land and air is you can't board a commercial flight without a negative (or 11 day positive test).  You can still take a private charter with a positive test and would face the same fines as if you drove across the border.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

The spot I quoted is for either, it's just pre-entry test requirements.

The only difference between land and air is you can't board a commercial flight without a negative (or 11 day positive test).  You can still take a private charter with a positive test and would face the same fines as if you drove across the border.

Good point on private.  

I was trying to say that if you go into the wizard and put in your info for flying, the only information you get is what I showed above. You have to read elsewhere to find what you posted.  

Which is extremely frustrating.  Why have that tool when it is not correct? That is the first place I look when looking for rules.  Contradictory information on other pages, I can accept.  But the main tool that i is meant to tell you if you are eligible isn't correct.  

At the end of the day, it appears that if you are flying - you will not be able to return until you have a negative PCR test or 11 days past positive - whichever comes first, or fly private. 

Driving, I believe you can enter but may face a fine?

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

..Driving, I believe you can enter but may face a fine?

They can't stop you from entering Canada if you are at the border and a Canadian citizen (Driving, Flying private, or walking), they can just fine you and make sure you quarantine.