Pre Cruise Hotel Miami any suggestions

helene109

Hi looking for May 4 adults including 2 adult children. Preferably a room with a couch. Transportation from airport and a restaurant for dinner walking distance. Do you suggest something by Bayside. We have only stayed in ft Lauderdale when we cruise out of Miami. Flight times are better this time. Thanks again!

Only some hotels near the MIA airport offer free shuttles, and unless you are arriving late and just want a room I would not choose to stay out there.

Look at Hampton Inn, Hyatt and other hotels in the Mary Brickell area of downtown Miami. Lots of nearby dining, shopping and nightlife options. 

UberXL or a van taxi from MIA will run about $25-28+ to downtown hotels and another $10-15 ride will get you to POM the next morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have stayed at the Residence Inn by the airport. There is a "campus" with 3 Marriott properties (Courtyard, Residence Inn & Marriott hotel.) Shuttle from the airport. The Residence Inn concept will be ideal space wise. Also includes breakfast (or at least, used to before Covid.)

There are restaurants in both the Marriott & Courtyard but just across the street is a great seafood restaurant called "Catch of the Day." Nothing fancy, but decent and close. 

• Thanks 1

Good choice!  There is a strip mall across the street with dining and fast-food options.  Plus a Publix grocery store, a drug store and a liquor store for any last-minute cruise supplies you need. 😎

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Good choice!  There is a strip mall across the street with dining and fast-food options.  Plus a Publix grocery store, a drug store and a liquor store for any last-minute cruise supplies you need. 😎

Thanks that helps a lot!

these hotels are on my list to research!

Holiday Inn I read it changed hands gets mixed reviews.

Comfort Inn and Suites was recently redone gets good reviews.

Homewood Suites

Doubletree

Springhill

any opinions is appreciated!

Thanks again!

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon a few years ago (late flight into Miami) and were happy.

Doubletree in downtown Miami was my favorite hotel when I travelled often to Miami for business. Great pool area, several local dining options nearby, and some rooms offer a view of the port.

I would expand your search to include hotels in the Mary Brickell area of downtown.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, JohninDC said:

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon a few years ago (late flight into Miami) and were happy.

Doubletree in downtown Miami was my favorite hotel when I travelled often to Miami for business. Great pool area, several local dining options nearby, and some rooms offer a view of the port.

I would expand your search to include hotels in the Mary Brickell area of downtown.

Did the Homewood Suites have a lot walking distance? I like the size of the room! Thanks 

We've stayed RIGHT by the airport a few times and it only has two things going for it:

• There's one dive bar we really like (now Old Tom's), and depending on the hotel, that can be in walking distance.
  • Quick to get to hotel and settle in with evening arrivals

I have not stayed at the Marriott complex people reference near-ish the hotel, but if you don't really care about leaving the hotel other than hitting a grocery store or drugstore, it seems like a fine option.

I have much preferred our stays downtown, as they offer more for dinner and local breakfast options. Not doing the hotel breakfast is important to me, as it starts of my vacation on a fun foot and slows my (overly eager) embarkation roll. 🙂 I don't have a particular favorite, but have found good food and drink options near them all. 

We no longer rely on hotel shuttles to the port, as Ubers have made it cheap and easy to get there. The hotel shuttles have all been variable in speed, comfort and quality, so we just don't even bother including it in our hotel search. If they happen to have one, we'll consider it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helene109 said:

Did the Homewood Suites have a lot walking distance? I like the size of the room! Thanks 

Strip mall that is across the street from the Hampton Inn is 2 blocks from the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon - Publix grocery, drug and liquor stores, plus fast food and a couple of sit-down dining option.  A little far to walk, but 49th Aero Squadron is nearby and offers good steaks with a view of the MIA runway.  Homewood had BIG rooms, evening reception and a great breakfast - small pool and small hot tub if I recall.  We would stay there again if flying into MIA late.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Strip mall that is across the street from the Hampton Inn is 2 blocks from the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon - Publix grocery, drug and liquor stores, plus fast food and a couple of sit-down dining option.  A little far to walk, but 49th Aero Squadron is nearby and offers good steaks with a view of the MIA runway.  Homewood had BIG rooms, evening reception and a great breakfast - small pool and small hot tub if I recall.  We would stay there again if flying into MIA late.

Thanks! We land at 6! My kids are 22 and 26 the more space the better! Really looking for a good restaurant for dinner too! Breakfast helps! Your input helps a lot crossing off a few off of the list. Down to

Homewood Suites

Holiday Inn

Comfort Suites

Hampton Inn

I would skip the Holiday Inn near POM - the property is reportedly in bankruptcy/being sold with recent negative reports on this board - and it was never great except for the location and some rooms offering a view of the port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohninDC said:

I would skip the Holiday Inn near POM - the property is reportedly in bankruptcy/being sold with recent negative reports on this board - and it was never great except for the location and some rooms offering a view of the port.

Thanks that helps! I prefer something with a couch too. I don’t 2 rooms but the couch helps. Your right it gets mixed reviews on the Holiday Inn! That shopping area looks good by that hotel. Going to see what other hotels are by that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hampton Inn Miami Brickell gets the #1 Traveler Ranking on TripAdvisor.

Great location - 1 block to the free monorail that you can take to several 

shopping areas  nearby. Tons of restaurants walking distance, clean, free breakfast

and some rooms have couches. I've done tons of research and this one 

for the $ is the best value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

Hampton Inn Miami Brickell gets the #1 Traveler Ranking on TripAdvisor.

Great location - 1 block to the free monorail that you can take to several 

shopping areas  nearby. Tons of restaurants walking distance, clean, free breakfast

and some rooms have couches. I've done tons of research and this one 

for the $ is the best value.

Great to hear! Going to check it out! Sounds like what I am looking for in a hotel! Do you have the exact address?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Great to hear! Going to check it out! Sounds like what I am looking for in a hotel! Do you have the exact address?

2 minutes ago, helene109 said:

I just checked it out and a little bit more $ than I wanted to spend.

2 hours ago, helene109 said:

I just checked it out and a little bit more $ than I wanted to spend.

What's your max per night budget?

Keep in mind breakfast is free. I have to believe if you go out somewhere to get breakfast the cost will be between $15-$20 per person so I would factor that in your cost. Miami isn't cheap for hotel rooms right now. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Buffalo said:

What's your max per night budget?

Keep in mind breakfast is free. I have to believe if you go out somewhere to get breakfast the cost will be between $15-$20 per person so I would factor that in your cost. Miami isn't cheap for hotel rooms right now. 

Under $325 not sure as if I can find everything that would be great! A couch gives us extra seating and someone could sleep on it. Kids are 22 and 26. I still need to get to the hotel and pier. We usually stay in Ft Lauderdale but since Southwest now flys out of Miami giving it a try. We land at 6pm

4 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Under $325 not sure as if I can find everything that would be great! A couch gives us extra seating and someone could sleep on it. Kids are 22 and 26. I still need to get to the hotel and pier. We usually stay in Ft Lauderdale but since Southwest now flys out of Miami giving it a try. We land at 6pm

What dates ?  Looking for a room for four adults then ?

• Thanks 1

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34438-d1025776-Reviews-Homewood_Suites_by_Hilton_Miami_Airport_West-Miami_Florida.html

$281.37 for four adults -  two beds plus separate seating area with couch, free breakfast, airport shuttle

25th best hotel on TripAdvisor reviews by travelers

Don't think you will find your price point near downtown or the port or if you do the place

will be gross.