Military Discount - How MSC go about to apply it?.

ChattTenn

We are looking at a cruise with MSC Meraviglia for later this year and this will be our second with MSC.  Our first MSC gave us 10% because we are black card (status matched) and military discount because my husband is a veteran plus we booked a balcony cabin (TA submitted his DD 214 after a quote).  For this time TA unable to get MSC booking site to apply the military and MSC final quote only shows with Voyagers Club Discount 5%.  Should MSC have my husband info in their data base or we have to submit time after time if we want to cruise with them?.  It is very strange they gave it to us at the first time but this time the TA has to jump over hoop to get this benefit.  She has to submit the DD 214 again and so far we did not hear back from MSC yet.

On MSC site does not show a military discount option, all veterans/military did you book yourself or with TA assistance?.  Is it IT problem or we must go through different way to get this benefits?.

Thank you

They are still giving the Military USA discount.  Depending on whether you use a TA that has it on file for you they will add.   Booking online or with MSC direct you will need to email the DD-214 for each booking.  Just keep the DD-214 scan pdf on your desktop.  Makes it a lot easier.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

They are still giving the Military USA discount.  Depending on whether you use a TA that has it on file for you they will add.   Booking online or with MSC direct you will need to email the DD-214 for each booking.  Just keep the DD-214 scan pdf on your desktop.  Makes it a lot easier.  

Thank you for the response.  Something to remember if there will be a next time with MSC.  

Yes, you have to submit paperwork each time, except if you have a current upcoming cruise booked and then go to book another.  At least that was our experience.  Had a summer 2018 cruise booked, but had not sailed yet, and then booked a 2019 spring break cruise (covid cancelled, btw) and the MSC agent was able to just pull over our information to the spring booking.

Military discount is 10%.

4 hours ago, Joken35 said:

How much is the military discount.

It’s 10 percent. But I believe they recently changed the terms and it now states this:

Not combinable with MSC Voyagers Club Discount. 

I think taking the 5 plus 15 is a better way to go. In November I was able to stack both discounts. Now, both phone MSC rep and email rep said no to combining both. 

Full terms can be found at https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-deals/military-discount-rates

Thanks everyone.  TA submitted DD214 and talked to a KNOWLEDGEABLE agent MSC approved for military discount ONLY 10%.  The price is settle and now waiting for the rest of craziness of MSC.  Hope they won't move us this time to another location on this ship.

Dealing with MSC is not fun.  They status matched us nearly 3 years ago and we did a 1st cruise with them in October 2021 (Divina).  Yesterday we got an email from MSC indicated our status would expire on December 31, 2022.  I thought MSC condition in order to keep an active status one must cruise with them at least 1 within 3 years.  What are they doing with the past guest information in their database?.  

2 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

Thanks everyone.  TA submitted DD214 and talked to a KNOWLEDGEABLE agent MSC approved for military discount ONLY 10%.  The price is settle and now waiting for the rest of craziness of MSC.  Hope they won't move us this time to another location on this ship.

Dealing with MSC is not fun.  They status matched us nearly 3 years ago and we did a 1st cruise with them in October 2021 (Divina).  Yesterday we got an email from MSC indicated our status would expire on December 31, 2022.  I thought MSC condition in order to keep an active status one must cruise with them at least 1 within 3 years.  What are they doing with the past guest information in their database?.  

I would suggest you go into your Voyagers Club account and check two things: 1) Your VC expiration date that they show; and 2) Your past cruise and point history.  They may not have your 10/21 posted. It take awhile to post, but it should be there by now.  If it's not, you can call and have them update it.

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

I would suggest you go into your Voyagers Club account and check two things: 1) Your VC expiration date that they show; and 2) Your past cruise and point history.  They may not have your 10/21 posted. It take awhile to post, but it should be there by now.  If it's not, you can call and have them update it.

Thank you.  MSC right hand does not talk to their left hand.  Went to VC account it is showing until 2024 and got credited for the last cruise.  Will have to deal with them again if there will be a next one.

45 minutes ago, ChattTenn said:

Will have to deal with them again if there will be a next one.

Sadly, with their IT department, it is when, not if on a next booking.  You probably mean if you book again, probably.

Edited by JAGR

17 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

It’s 10 percent. But I believe they recently changed the terms and it now states this:

Not combinable with MSC Voyagers Club Discount. 

I think taking the 5 plus 15 is a better way to go. In November I was able to stack both discounts. Now, both phone MSC rep and email rep said no to combining both. 

Full terms can be found at https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-deals/military-discount-rates

This is correct.  If the cruise is a 5 + 15, and you qualify through status, it is a much better deal going with the Voyager discount.  We rebooked a 14-day Northern Europe cruise to back to back 7-days.  The new cruises qualified for the 5+15.  We dropped the Military USA, upgraded to YC Grande Suite from Deluxe Balcony, pocketed $800 in OBC, and still had a lower total fare. We did need to pay a second deposit, but that’s a cross I will bear. 😀

On 1/28/2022 at 9:52 AM, ChattTenn said:

We are looking at a cruise with MSC Meraviglia for later this year and this will be our second with MSC.  Our first MSC gave us 10% because we are black card (status matched) and military discount because my husband is a veteran plus we booked a balcony cabin (TA submitted his DD 214 after a quote).  For this time TA unable to get MSC booking site to apply the military and MSC final quote only shows with Voyagers Club Discount 5%.  Should MSC have my husband info in their data base or we have to submit time after time if we want to cruise with them?.  It is very strange they gave it to us at the first time but this time the TA has to jump over hoop to get this benefit.  She has to submit the DD 214 again and so far we did not hear back from MSC yet.

On MSC site does not show a military discount option, all veterans/military did you book yourself or with TA assistance?.  Is it IT problem or we must go through different way to get this benefits?.

Thank you

We were told you don’t get both. You can get voyager discount or the military discount 

According to their online info, only active duty and retired members are entitled to the military discount.

Take Advantage of Our Military Discount

Those that qualify include active and retired U.S. and Canadian Military personnel, including U.S. Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, National Guard, Army Reserve and Department of Defense personnel.

MILITARY

Our military discount includes active and retired military personnel, plus family members including spouses, parents, in-laws and dependent children. You can apply your discount to multiple staterooms. Note: the member/employee must cruise with immediate family in order to receive the discount.

There are ZERO penalties for redeployment - 100% future cruise credit will be good for two years from cancellation (must be verified by a letter from a commanding officer). All you have to do is cancel no later than 15 days prior to the cruise departure.**

On 2/4/2022 at 7:41 PM, drpack said:

According to their online info, only active duty and retired members are entitled to the military discount.

Take Advantage of Our Military Discount

Those that qualify include active and retired U.S. and Canadian Military personnel, including U.S. Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, National Guard, Army Reserve and Department of Defense personnel.

MILITARY

Our military discount includes active and retired military personnel, plus family members including spouses, parents, in-laws and dependent children. You can apply your discount to multiple staterooms. Note: the member/employee must cruise with immediate family in order to receive the discount.

There are ZERO penalties for redeployment - 100% future cruise credit will be good for two years from cancellation (must be verified by a letter from a commanding officer). All you have to do is cancel no later than 15 days prior to the cruise departure.**

I have received the Military USA discount on multiple cruises.  I am not ‘retired.’  My DD-214 has been ‘HONORED.’

On 1/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, kidless said:

We were told you don’t get both. You can get voyager discount or the military discount 

Second this. Back in November of last year, MSC let us stack. Come this January, MSC would not stack. 

we just elected to get 5-15 as it was better than the other one. 

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all of the information here.  We are doing our first MSC cruise very soon and MSC worked with our TA and Us to make this Military discount work.  It was a pleasure to see how responsive they were and how they guided us through the process.

Salute!

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, ron1946 said:

Where do you send military documents to MSC. I have found all kinds of rhetoric about the discount, but no where on what or where to submit for the discount??????

If you booked through a travel agent email a scan of your dd-214, or scanned active/retired ID to the agent. They will request the Military USA discount booking code and forward the documents to MSC Cruises. If you booked through an MSC agent or online you should have been directed to email a pdf of your scanned dd-214 or ID’s to MSCexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com. Your subject line should be the ‘booking number’ US Military Discount.  I always put names, booking number, cruise ship, and sailing date in email body. Attach the pdf file as an attachment. That has worked for me every time.

• 2 months later...

> Not combinable with MSC Voyagers Club Discount. 

This is the same with other discounts, such as for healthcare workers. For us, it worked out similar/the same/good enough(tm) to status match and go with Voyagers Club + early booking, and a lot less faff.