Fit to fly/cruise

mdin

So this past Christmas I caught the flu that left me with a persistent cough and chest congestion. After a couple weeks I visited my doctor and got diagnosed with pneumonia (bacterial). I did a round of antibiotics (started 2 weeks ago) which has helped, however, I'm left with the occasional cough, fatigue, and shortness of breath if I exert myself too much. I was cleared to return to work this week (rested for a week and no longer contagious). I'm scheduled to fly next Friday so I'm setting up a follow up visit with my doctor to make sure I'm fit to fly.

He knows I'm flying to Florida, however I'm hesitant to mention that I'm going there to board a ship. Not sure where he stands on cruising. I figure if I'm deemed healthy to fly, I should be able to cruise. Should I make it known I will be cruising? I would never board if I was contagious, but I've been told that I'm not. Has anyone flown or cruised 3 weeks after pneumonia diagnosis? 

TIA

Let me see if I understand this.

You're going to go to a professional to seek help and guidance regarding your personal health and safety. However, you're going to withhold vital information that this individual might need to make a professional decision regarding your personal health and safety.

Alrighty then.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

Let me see if I understand this.

You're going to go to a professional to seek help and guidance regarding your personal health and safety. However, you're going to withhold vital information that this individual might need to make a professional decision regarding your personal health and safety.

Alrighty then.....

You're 100% right. My hesitation was if he leaned towards being an anti cruise person, but I decided to let his assistant know I am flying and cruising when she called back to confirm. He'll be aware it now.

• Like 1

You should not fly if you’re suffering those symptoms still especially if you’re going to board a plane and ship, coughing around people . Do you want to risk your health and have people constantly staring at you if you’re coughing and short of breath? Do you realize how that would look to people and the red flags ? 

9 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You should not fly if you’re suffering those symptoms still especially if you’re going to board a plane and ship, coughing around people . Do you want to risk your health and have people constantly staring at you if you’re coughing and short of breath? Do you realize how that would look to people and the red flags ? 

I'm not sure about a risk to their health, so I won't comment on that.  That's what the doctor is for. 

However, the last part - I wouldn't cancel my plans because of that.  They aren't a risk to people.  They shouldn't be expected to give up life because of that.  I have bad allergies and have been stuff/sneezing a lot during this pandemic.  I will usually just tell people it is allergies so they don't have to worry.

I understand that people worry but not every cough is Covid. It is unfair to expect people with coughs for other reasons to avoid people.  On another thread people mentioned that their medication causes coughing. 

• Like 3