"Ultimate Drinks Package" on Iona

steeldrumsteve

Thanks guys,interesting,my converter puts $6.75 just under £5 which is pretty much the same as P&O ,as I say my recollection of Princess all those years ago was how expensive the drinks seemed,hard to imagine drink prices on Princess have stood still but I could be wrong!

Either way I find it hard to take drink packages as good value given the constraints,the main one being that we both have to have one,whereas my Wife does drink Alcohol & coffee I don't drink Alcohol,tea,coffee or soft drinks,even when I did drink alcohol I don't think we drunk anything like enough EVERY day to make any of the packages good value for money,but we are all different! 

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Thanks guys,interesting,my converter puts $6.75 just under £5 which is pretty much the same as P&O ,as I say my recollection of Princess all those years ago was how expensive the drinks seemed,hard to imagine drink prices on Princess have stood still but I could be wrong!

Either way I find it hard to take drink packages as good value given the constraints,the main one being that we both have to have one,whereas my Wife does drink Alcohol & coffee I don't drink Alcohol,tea,coffee or soft drinks,even when I did drink alcohol I don't think we drunk anything like enough EVERY day to make any of the packages good value for money,but we are all different! 

In your situation, I agree that given you both need to buy a package, it makes no sense to buy one on Princess or P&O

3 hours ago, snaefell said:

In August there was virtually no draught beer of any kind on Regal Princess, we found one bar serving draught. Everything was 330ml bottles.  The 15 drinks a day limit was eaten up by people having two bottles to make a pint! 

I get the impression that P&O don't really want to have a drinks package and are just going through the motions. My 'other' cruise line Marella has a drinks package included in the fare and you can buy the premium upgrade for I think £60 per week and that includes almost everything with no limit on how many you can have. My liver complained half way through my last cruise as I visited the gin & whisky bar daily for premium gins and fever tree tonics. Plus the basic spirit measure is 40ml. 😱 🥳

After 25 P&O cruises and 25 'Marella' cruises I have noticed that there are similar numbers of drunks on both lines, equally obnoxious

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were on Iona for 14 nights (Canary Islands, Spain, Portugal) in November and prior to going we worked out our daily intake of alcohol, coffee, soft drinks and water and thought we'd break even or be slightly ahead of the package costs even taking into consideration the port days. We added in all drinks to our calculations, even though non alcoholic aren't included in the 15 per day limit. 

We decided to wait until boarding and check the drink menus and if financially viable, buy the package on day 2.  After visiting as many venues as time allowed on the 1st day, we realised that it wasn't going to be good value for us as the menus were too limiting and decided not to bother with it. 

We were really glad we decided to 'pay as you go', as service was quite slow in a number of venues for the first few days of the cruise and we found it difficult to get served. It was table service only so you couldn't go to the bar. On several occasions (sea days) in the atrium, we were unable to get served with Costa coffees as we unknowingly sat in the 'wrong' area for service. 

I felt the choice and the quality of cocktails was very poor and definitely the worst of any cruise line we've been on previously (Cunard, HAL and Silversea) 

Our last 3 days were very rough (storm Arwen cruise) so we spent more time in our cabin than we would normally.

After totalling up all of our drinks we were approx £400 better off by not buying the package and had our preferred choices of drinks as opposed to settling for whatever was included. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the interesting posts and discussion. Really does look like the drinks package is poor value. This is really frustrating and I feel really cheated. One of the deciding factors when we booked this cruise was that they claimed that "nearly all the drinks are included" which is untrue and misleading promotional information and I still think this contravenes trading standards and I will pursue that. Although I have written to P&O three times now, the first nearly 4 weeks back, still not even the courtesy of a reply. I am going to go through the pain of waiting up to an hour to get through and phone them today and ask for a refund of my deposit as I believe they have knowingly made a misleading claim about their product.

Having read comments about the time it takes to get served, queus and poor service on top of the drinks package issued his  has really put me off P&O

Marella I'm coming back !

58 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Why not go to Princess, who have an excellent drinks package, and no second hand ships !  

Also consider that Marella's latest ships, all 4 of them are IMO right up there with the likes of Aurora and Arcadia. Little difference between a ship such as Aurora , 22 years old and ships between 26 and 28 years old.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Also consider that Marella's latest ships, all 4 of them are IMO right up there with the likes of Aurora and Arcadia. Little difference between a ship such as Aurora , 22 years old and ships between 26 and 28 years old.

I don't disagree, but the Princess fleet is far more modern, especially the ones they use in Europe.

A ship like Sky is in a different class to any of the Marella ships.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I don't disagree, but the Princess fleet is far more modern, especially the ones they use in Europe.

A ship like Sky is in a different class to any of the Marella ships.

Of course it is as it is 3 years old and huge so has more opportunity for choice of venues. Marella Explorer does well with choice with the MDR and excellent buffet and at least 6 other different eating venues. They did spend over 50 million Euros on an internal refurbishment when it moved from Celebrity and it shows plus another refurb when it moved to Marella. My problem with Marella is they no longer base a ship in the UK and it is very difficult to get a balcony cabin as a solo cruiser. I quite enjoyed P&O Iona but not Britannia with no prom deck and Azura/Ventura not so much now with the only venue I really like being the Glass House which has remained firmly informal on all evenings so far.

I have briefly looked at Princess for the UK but not for this summer as I have a May and September cruise booked with P&O but will take another look

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why not go to Princess, who have an excellent drinks package, and no second hand ships !  

Marella I'm coming back ! 

I looked at Marella for a week out of Dubrovnik in sept £1834 AI each so almost £4k 😯 that's too steep for a week but I guess each to its own

we have booked princess too

12 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Marella I'm coming back ! 

I looked at Marella for a week out of Dubrovnik in sept £1834 AI each so almost £4k 😯 that's too steep for a week but I guess each to its own

we have booked princess too

Unbelievable price! You can get two weeks on Princess for that price, although admittedly you need to add on flight costs 

Our last cruise was October 2019 on Quantum Of The Seas from China to Singapore(she is still there!),really loved that ship,so bright & modern with a real funky decor,it has really spoiled us for other ships,sadly Royal Caribbean have proved too good at changing itineraries after booking to bother with them again.

That along with my Wife not wanting to fly any more has seen us book a Med cruise from Southampton with P&O in May 2023 on Arcadia,if they don't sell her before then!

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a solo cruiser I find that when I book a cruise with Marella or P&O I am paying about 1.6/1.7 times the cost of half a double fare, which I deal with. However when I look at potential Princess cruises the cost is always twice the cost of half a double fare. So feel a bit like I am being ripped off as a solo with Princess, a bit unfair. If I am wrong here or have missed a way of getting a better Princess bargain please let me know. 

2 hours ago, GOQ said:

As a solo cruiser I find that when I book a cruise with Marella or P&O I am paying about 1.6/1.7 times the cost of half a double fare, which I deal with. However when I look at potential Princess cruises the cost is always twice the cost of half a double fare. So feel a bit like I am being ripped off as a solo with Princess, a bit unfair. If I am wrong here or have missed a way of getting a better Princess bargain please let me know. 

Agree. Think it is the American lines. Stopped cruising with Celebrity years ago as (despite being a loyal top tier customer) they wanted to charge me more than double fare for a balcony. P&O varies but much better value, always less than double fare.

8 hours ago, GOQ said:

Sorry, I don't know how to circumvent Princess solo costs, although a good TA that I cannot mention, might help. 

But, if Princess prices are cheaper to start with, the fact that there is less discount  for solo travellers  might help.  

We have been on a cruise with Princess an loved it. The Medallion App is fab! Unfortunately because my wife is a teacher, we are restricted and no dates available for when we want to go and booked Iona.

So yesterday I decided to phone them to get clarification about their claim that nearly every drink is included in the package. I phoned dead on 8.30 when they open,went through the menu and chose already booked option only to be told they were too busy and would not answer. Retailed and chose book a new cruises, surprise surprise answered almost immediately. Another nail in the coffin, happy to get you booked but no after service. Anyway explained my situation and asked fo the to email me the drinks menu so that I could check the claim that nearly all the drinks are included. Refused to send it to me. Tipped over the edge now I told them I thought they were misleading people with their promotion. Operator went off to check with supervisor and after lengthy wait they agreed to refund my deposit.

Have now booked on the Marella Discovery all inclusive premium, flights with extra space included, more ports, warmer climate in the med and CHEAPER than P&O even before adding drink. 

Happy now but shame because I was looking forward to experiencing the Iona but the service level pre cruise has just left me thinking they don't care about the customer 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I don't know how to circumvent Princess solo costs, although a good TA that I cannot mention, might help. 

But, if Princess prices are cheaper to start with, the fact that there is less discount  for solo travellers  might help.  

Princess have always been more expensive than P&O in my experience, both cruise cost and drink prices.

2 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Princess have always been more expensive than P&O in my experience, both cruise cost and drink prices.

Not anymore, especially if you add on the Princess Plus package. 

However, for solo cruisers you are correct.

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not anymore, especially if you add on the Princess Plus package. 

However, for solo cruisers you are correct.

Princess have always launched with high prices and then they reduce as they need to the closer in to the cruise it gets.

I have not made any comparisons recently, but covid has led to some strange pricing.  I imagine all cruise lines are trying to maximise passenger numbers, so If Princess are cheaper they must be struggling to fill their reduced capacity.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Princess have always launched with high prices and then they reduce as they need to the closer in to the cruise it gets.

I have not made any comparisons recently, but covid has led to some strange pricing.  I imagine all cruise lines are trying to maximise passenger numbers, so If Princess are cheaper they must be struggling to fill their reduced capacity.

Certainly in the US they are sailing at not much more than 60% capacity or less. (Much less in some cases) What is not known is if Princess have a self-imposed capacity limit.

With regards to falling prices, you can refare once, or, under current rules,  cancel and rebook the same cruise, which we have done on two cruises. 

Steve,quite an achievement to get your deposit back,well done,doesn't that send a message that they know they are misleading people.

When booking Arcadia for next year I did have chance to book Iona or Arvia,the appeal of a new ship was strong but having seen videos IMO the cabin set up where balconies have a wonderful view of other passengers on their loungers,not to mention other passengers being able to see in really doesn't appeal,adding to that I do wonder how hot it is likely to be in the glass part of the conservatory suites during summer months.

• Like 1

Steering back to the main topic, and looking from another perspective, it would of course be quite easy to land yourself with a hefty bill at the end of your trip if you didn't take out the package, and fairly easy to go over the £40 pp/day. For a couple, 2 coffees, a large wine with lunch, a cocktail each before dinner, a bottle of wine with dinner, another cocktail after, and a couple of evening drinks and you're already close to, if not over, £80.

25 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

Steering back to the main topic, and looking from another perspective, it would of course be quite easy to land yourself with a hefty bill at the end of your trip if you didn't take out the package, and fairly easy to go over the £40 pp/day. For a couple, 2 coffees, a large wine with lunch, a cocktail each before dinner, a bottle of wine with dinner, another cocktail after, and a couple of evening drinks and you're already close to, if not over, £80.

The problem is with the package, you won't have a bottle of wine with dinner only a small glass and have to catch a waiter in passing for more, plus the cocktails we drink are no longer in the package.  We were hoping that when cruising started returning backs towards normality P&O may have increased the per drink limit to bring more drinks back in.  We look at the drinks menus when we first get on board, and then decide.

But generally agree, even on shore days your tab can run up a bit.

• Like 1