"Ultimate Drinks Package" on Iona

steeldrumsteve

On 2/1/2022 at 5:59 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Just watched a YT video of a Princess cruise and they seem to imply that if you order a drink above the $12 limit of the drinks package, you only pay the difference? 

Seems fairer than the P&O offering... 

Andy 

That seems the sensible thing to do! 

Has anyone been charged for additional alcohol drinks over the 15 permitted per 24hrs  on the Ultimate Drink's Package with either Cunard or P&O ?

Perhaps  Princess have a different accounting system. Which can tell over or under the  price limit ? 

Edited by LifeonMars

20 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Has anyone been charged for additional alcohol drinks over the 15 permitted per 24hrs  on the Ultimate Drink's Package with either Cunard or P&O ?

Perhaps  Princess have a different accounting system. Which can tell over or under the  price limit ? 

I dont think there are many that get near the 15 alcohol limit never mind over it taking into account that you are asleep on average 8hrs every 24 hrs means from the minute you get up until you go bed you would have to have an alcoholic drink every hour of the day.

43 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Not a personal experience but I heard a waiter in the glass house politely tell a cruiser that he had reach 15 drinks so they could not serve him any more alcohol. I was more than a bit taken aback as it was just after 12.30pm and he had had 3 glasses of wine, one of which was the one they were delivering and he joked that he would be moving onto the red next. Kept me wondering for ages where he got the other 12 drinks from and down him by that time. Somewhere there must be a morning party bar.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I dont think there are many that get near the 15 alcohol limit never mind over it taking into account that you are asleep on average 8hrs every 24 hrs means from the minute you get up until you go bed you would have to have an alcoholic drink every hour of the day.

The limit is very easy to hit, have done so on many occasions. Don't forget coffees and soft drinks count.

If you get to know the waiter serving you I have found they can "lose count" somehow and that doesn't apply only to P&O. 😉

11 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The limit is very easy to hit, have done so on many occasions. Don't forget coffees and soft drinks count.

If you get to know the waiter serving you I have found they can "lose count" somehow and that doesn't apply only to P&O. 😉

I thought the 15 drink limit only applied to alcoholic drinks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The 15 limit is for alcoholic drinks only coffee, tea and soft drinks do not count. The following taken from P&Os website - Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6am to 6am)

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Not a personal experience but I heard a waiter in the glass house politely tell a cruiser that he had reach 15 drinks so they could not serve him any more alcohol. I was more than a bit taken aback as it was just after 12.30pm and he had had 3 glasses of wine, one of which was the one they were delivering and he joked that he would be moving onto the red next. Kept me wondering for ages where he got the other 12 drinks from and down him by that time. Somewhere there must be a morning party bar.

Too late to edit so adding it here 15 alcoholic drinks - you could allegedly have 100 coffees,

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I thought the 15 drink limit only applied to alcoholic drinks.

26 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The 15 limit is for alcoholic drinks only coffee, tea and soft drinks do not count. The following taken from P&Os website - Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6am to 6am)

I stand corrected but my wife and I often reach the 15 alcoholic drinks limit, by the time we have had pre lunch, lunch time, afternoon, pre dinner then dinner drinks we are pretty close so drinks in the evening easily takes us over when we are in the mood.

As I said earlier, the package works for us ...... or maybe we work for the package.

Edited by MX-Drew
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I stand corrected but my wife and I often reach the 15 alcoholic drinks limit, by the time we have had pre lunch, lunch time, afternoon, pre dinner then dinner drinks we are pretty close so drinks in the evening easily takes us over when we are in the mood.

As I said earlier, the package works for us ...... or maybe we work for the package.

Given the increase in prices,  taking many drinks over the price limit,  will it still work for you ?

3 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

That made me laugh! Yes, each to their own. I’m TT and it would take my husband a year to drink 15 units of alcohol! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Everybody to their own but I can honestly say if I started drinking alcohol pre lunch and included lunch and afternoon I dont think I would be able to reach pre dinner  or drinks with dinner.😁😁

I have to admit on a normal day I would be like but at sea  I can honestly say I really have no problem. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

I have to admit on a normal day I would be like but at sea  I can honestly say I really have no problem. 😁

I agree, especially as the P&O deal only includes small glasses of wine. So, on a sea day, 15 drinks,  spread over 12 hours is not really a problem.

But, on a port day, unless you stay on board,  the opportunity to make full use of the drink package is limited.  

There is an interesting post elsewhere (!) about a couple who bought the package,  but realised that on port days they were "losing out" and tried to make up for it on the few sea days they had. The final judgment was that unless you have more sea days than port days,  the package is not good value. 

Trouble with purchasing a drinks package is people drink more than normal just to get value out of paying £39-95 per day and if you take out times in port when you are off the ship very few get full benefit and most lose money if they had bought individually. I could never drink 15 alcoholic drinks of any kind in 24 hrs never mind going to sleep for 8hrs and shudder to think of damage being caused to my liver and general health. 

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble with purchasing a drinks package is people drink more than normal just to get value out of paying £39-95 per day and if you take out times in port when you are off the ship very few get full benefit and most lose money if they had bought individually.

My point exactly.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree, especially as the P&O deal only includes small glasses of wine. So, on a sea day, 15 drinks,  spread over 12 hours is not really a problem.

But, on a port day, unless you stay on board,  the opportunity to make full use of the drink package is limited.  

There is an interesting post elsewhere (!) about a couple who bought the package,  but realised that on port days they were "losing out" and tried to make up for it on the few sea days they had. The final judgment was that unless you have more sea days than port days,  the package is not good value. 

By normal day I meant not on a cruise. I have done the maths before and have been happy that overall we at least break even but with the price increase we need to think again. 
I admit a drinks package is not for everyone but we find it adds to the holiday experience for us. Why some people can’t accept that and have to argue against it I don’t understand.

• Like 3

I dont think there is any argument and certainly dont think it adds to holiday experience. You do the maths on what you would normally drink on a day alcohol and coffee, tea and soft drinks taking into account number of ports of calls where you are off the ship and then decide if you wouldnt drink enough to cost an average of £39-95 over the whole cruise you dont buy it. If what you drink taking everything into account would cost you more than £39-95 then its a no brainer and a buy. For me personally it will never be good value at that price and amount I consume in a day.

12 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

The thought of paying over £1000 on a 14 night cruise for drinks and coffee is a no for me , but each to their own, it's their money.

Personally I think the P&O package is poor value, so don't buy it,  but we always get the Princess package.  

Curious to know what the price of a pint of lager is on board Princess ships these days,we are only occasional cruisers,our first cruise was 11 years ago with Princess,drink prices on board were expensive,especially compared to more recent prices on P&O where the prices were not that different to 'normal' UK pub prices.

31 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Curious to know what the price of a pint of lager is on board Princess ships these days,we are only occasional cruisers,our first cruise was 11 years ago with Princess,drink prices on board were expensive,especially compared to more recent prices on P&O where the prices were not that different to 'normal' UK pub prices.

B8A08738-474E-4904-AC95-B00004DDD1C2.jpeg.809c4a44d2b8cb9def0f95dc9b1e679a.jpeg

Off princess page Sky at mo dollars hth

Edited by 2BACRUISER